PDA

View Full Version : Makita BO6040 vs PC 7424

Pages : [1] 2

littlejohn
04-26-2005, 06:37 AM
I know the makita is quite a bit more expensive, so assuming you get what you pay for, the makita is a "better" unit.

But is it worth twice as much as the PC??

imported_Axe
04-26-2005, 06:54 AM
Well, it does more than the PC in that it allows orbital polishing mode, as well as dual action mode, so you are not really comparing apples with apples. Looks like a good hybrid though.

littlejohn
04-26-2005, 07:08 AM
yeah this I understand..

but as a newbie to machine detailing, is it worth the extra $$ to go for the makita?

I`m thinking as I get more experience, I may end up needing a rotary polisher as well, so this may be a better route to start with.

Inaddition to this, the PC has a bigger throw, which makes it better for detailing.. right?

J.J.
04-26-2005, 07:56 AM
Edit: I misread the question.... apologies

spotpad
04-26-2005, 09:09 AM
I don`t think so. I`ve read some threads about reliability issues.

Alfisti
04-26-2005, 09:57 AM
littlejohn, I used it last week for the first time...a fellow Autopian lent it to me to try. I had it for several months in the box without trying it because I was unsure how it would work, and I didn`t want to use a customers car as a guinea pig.

Well, I ended up using a customers car as a guinea pig! A `63 T-bird with rock-hard oxidised original metallic paint! My PC wasn`t cutting it (literally). So I broke out the Mak. It worked very well in `forced rotation` mode. It rotated like a rotary, but kept it`s random orbit as well...no swirls or burning paint (probably equivalent to 900 rpm on a rotary). It had much more cut than the PC on this paint and eventually returned some shine to the finish. I used 1Z Extra (sand-in-a-can) and it left no marring and restored gloss. (Don`t try this on regular paint...this paint was like polishing granite, and thus, was an exception).

I loved it...and hated it.

I loved it because it was harmless to use, yet returned almost rotary results. I hated it because it was top heavy and very tiring. It`s also noisy (gearbox noise), requiring ear muffs.

I was totally wasted by the end of the day. I went back to my PC and it felt like a feather...although the Mak is only one pound heavier, it`s weight is concentrated at the head, where-as, the PC is wonderfully balanced. It was like carressing a puppy after being mawled by a rottweiller.

In RO mode it was far weaker than the PC...no comparison.

In conclusion, my take is this:

One cannot compare the Mak BO6040 to a PC...they`re too different. You`d buy one for it`s `forced rotation` mode, not its RO mode. In RO mode, it`s great for applying paint cleaners/glazes/LSPs. One wouldn`t use it to remove defects. You`d go to `forced rotation` for that, and it *really* works! It leaves the PC behind in it`s speed and gloss creation. It really is half-way to a rotary.

So, you must decide if you want to go half-way to rotary results with PC safety, or all the way to rotary and use the PC when you want safety.

Me...I`m undecided. If it was as comfortable a PC I`d say "YES, the PC can`t touch it". But it`s soooo not comfortable.

I haven`t used a rotary so I can`t compare it`s ease of use to that of the BO6040. If a rotary is as tiring as the BO6040, I`d probably say "buy it!"

But I don`t know~! :nixweiss

Bill D
04-26-2005, 10:01 AM
It sounds even closer but still "safer" than a rotary than a Cyclo.

Alfisti
04-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

It sounds even closer but still "safer" than a rotary than a Cyclo.

I`m not sure what you mean...sorry. :o

Just to clarify about its safety. I can imagine on soft paint the BO6040 can do some damage. But at *top* speed with an aggressive polish it made the *hard* paint quite warm/hot moving at slow (PC) arm speeds. On soft paint I could see it cutting quickly.

So, to someone who`s not careful and aggressive, it isn`t harmless. At lower machine speeds and moderate arm speed I feel it`s very safe, compared to a rotary.

butchdave
04-27-2005, 07:27 AM
I guess you had a bad example there. My Makita if anything is quieter and makes less vibration than the PC - though its been a while since I used it in forced rotation mode so maybe its noisy there.

It does seem heavier I agree but as for damage, I have cut through paint with an aggressive polish by hand so ANY machine including the PC can do so (and I have). I should point out that in both cases its where the paint defects required repainting anyway, but anyone who thinks that you can`t damage paint with a PC is just wrong. Keep to low cut polishes and you are fine with either machine.

Alfisti
04-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by butchdave

I guess you had a bad example there. My Makita if anything is quieter and makes less vibration than the PC - though its been a while since I used it in forced rotation mode so maybe its noisy there.

The loudness was evident in `forced rotation`. I didn`t use it in RO much, but it did display less vibration than a PC. That`s because it has a shorter pad throw than a PC...that`s also why it won`t cut as well as a PC in RO mode. Its always a two-edged sword. :think:

I applaud it`s results...but it was still very hard work on *this* job. The matt oxidised paint made the pad grip and tried to rip me around with it. :buffing:

ultrajim49
05-02-2005, 08:28 AM
I`m a BO6040 user and I wrote something about it

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16906&highlight=bo6040

Now , a few years later I `ve demonstrated the machine to several people and they are all surprised what the thing can do.

I cannot compare to the PC7424 , but for us European the Makita is the way to go.

With either one, you can`t go wrong.

Christiaan

Lowejackson
05-02-2005, 09:00 AM
Christiaan, I have not seen you around in some time, welcome back :xyxthumbs

ultrajim49
05-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

Christiaan, I have not seen you around in some time, welcome back :xyxthumbs

OT on: Still alive and kicking

OT off :wavey

Christiaan

Paddington
05-03-2005, 03:15 PM
To bad they dont make a 220v version of the PC.

Maybe if all of us nag on them they will?

gregory kina
05-23-2005, 04:07 AM
I bought the BO6040 a few months ago. I’ve used it on several details so far and I just love it! I used to have a Makita 9227 rotary, but sold it because I wasn’t feeling comfortable using it. After reading a lot about the PC I decided that the PC would be a better tool for me. The only problem was that I live in The Netherlands and that de PC is not available over here. I could have ordered it from the US but than I would also need a converter to use it with our 220V net.

After looking at the alternatives I decided to buy the BO6040. I have no regrets whatsoever, it a great machine. For finishes that are in good shape I use the DA mode. For more cutting action I switch to forced rotation. I feel much more comfortable with this machine than I did with the rotary. The results are also very good. I can get rid of pretty heavy swirls without inducing holograms to the finish.

The machine is quite heavy, but I don’t really have a problem with that. No problems with noise here either.

Here are some pics of a black car I detailed using the BO6040

http://www.pbase.com/rdraer/image/42546197.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/rdraer/image/42546201.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/rdraer/image/42546187.jpg