PDA

View Full Version : Initial thought on Menzerna FMJ

Ed Hartman
12-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Applied this on my black conversion van. Started with Klasse AIO with my Porter Cable 7424. Applied FMJ via CMA red finishing pad. I knew after the first quarter panel I liked this product. Super easy to remove and the slickness was excellent. The shine was again excellent. We will wait and see on durability, but first impression is 2 thumbs up, no doubt about it.

NYV6Coupe
12-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Nice product, isn`t it?? It goes on & comes off so easy it`s like there`s zero resistance to applying/removing. It didn`t even feel like the MF was on the surface, I thought I was buffing AIR.

Only downside is FMJ stains the pad but you used a red finishing pad so this is not a problem for you.

Unknowns: durability. It starts off beading really well, almost like carnauba but the beads get a bit loose & weird in a few weeks ..... but at least there`s still significant beading.

awd330
12-12-2004, 07:20 PM
When I first tried FMJ earlier this year, I thought it was extremely easy to apply and remove but I was not impressed with the initial appearance. However, the look of FMJ seemed to improve after 4-5 days (glossier and deeper). I have also noticed the uneven beading pattern mentioned by NYV6coupe above.

mgm2003
12-13-2004, 08:32 AM
FMJ is a fine sealer. Easy on/easy off, good durability, and very nice looking on dark colors. FMJ looks quite a bit deeper after 2 coats.

The downside of FMJ is the price tag. Recently I`ve been comparing it to UPP, and IMO UPP is at least as good as FMJ, at 1/2 the price.

groebuck
12-13-2004, 03:45 PM
and that lovely purple color is makes your pads - permanently :lol

other than that it`s great - still going strong on my roomate`s truck 6 months later.

vantage
03-08-2005, 09:34 PM
How does the slickness of UPP compare to FMJ? I think the slickness is my favorite part of FMJ as well as the ease of use. My only real concern is durability. The new Menzerna QD may help.

groebuck
03-08-2005, 11:26 PM
I would give UPP the 10 on the slickness factor - fmj an 8

Nickc0844
03-08-2005, 11:56 PM
When I first tried FMJ earlier this year, I thought it was extremely easy to apply and remove but I was not impressed with the initial appearance. However, the look of FMJ seemed to improve after 4-5 days (glossier and deeper). I have also noticed the uneven beading pattern mentioned by NYV6coupe above.

I noticed that too...it`s the curing process it goes through.

mgm2003
03-09-2005, 09:47 AM
I`m rethinking FMJ because CMA has 32oz refills for $49.00, which is a MUCH better value than the 16oz/$39.00 tag. But 32oz. will last A LONG time. Wonder what the shelf life is?

vantage
03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Tried the Acrylic Shield QD and it makes FMJ a bit slicker and may help durability in the long run. Nice product, but slightly more difficult to buff off than other QD`s, perhaps due to the protection content.

cwcad
03-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Tried the Acrylic Shield QD and it makes FMJ a bit slicker and may help durability in the long run. Nice product, but slightly more difficult to buff off than other QD`s, perhaps due to the protection content.

i have to agree about the difficult part. i would add that it is a lot more difficult to take off, IMHO. although it does impart a slickness that most other QD do not approach.