PDA

View Full Version : Pollen!

crobinso
04-25-2005, 08:34 AM
It`s tree pollen season on the East Coast. Has anyone discovered an LSP that keeps pollen off, or at least makes it easy to dust off, without making a @$^#$* mess?

Charles

togwt
04-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Pollen:

The yellow dust you see in the air made up of small cells from blooming plants and are one of the most common allergy triggers. The pollen from trees are the main concern, vehicles get hit with pollen laced trees that include: oak, western red cedar, elm, birch, ash, hickory, polar, sycamore, maple, cypress and walnut.

Pollen isn`t removed by air friction as you drive because it adheres to a surface with microscopic barbs that can attach to even a very slightly uneven surface, and adheres to a natural wax better than a synthetic polymer

As well as being an allergic it is both an abrasive and a corrosive type dust especially when mixed with water and should therefore be removed from paint surfaces as soon as is practicable.

For dry pollen dust use a (California Car Duster) lightly brush the surface using long strokes in one direction only. If the pollen is wet remove with a damp waffle weave towel, to avoid scratching, using as little pressure as possible, again wiping in one direction only. As soon as is practical, thoroughly rinse the vehicle with a hose and clean water to ensure all acidic pollen is neutralized / removed.

There is an erlier post on this subject with some good info by BlkZ28conv

JonM

crobinso
04-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks. One of my concerns was the wet pollen that you`ve addressed. It is indeed very sticky, and I didn`t want to wreck my paint in getting it off. I don`t own a waffle weave MF, is it okay to use a damp cotton towel (my preferred cloth for detailing)?

Thanks for the great advice,

Charles

togwt
04-25-2005, 08:59 AM
The only problem with a wet / damp terry towel is that the nap flattens and its possible that residue can become trapped and rubbed against the paint surface causing micro marring.

The reason the CCD does not scratch a dry paint surface is due to the deep cotton fibres that `hold` residue in suspension

JonM

crobinso
04-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Okay, thanks. I won`t use the terry cloth. It looks like my ride is due a complete wash.

Regards,

Charles