PDA

View Full Version : Poorboy`s SSR2.5, my Miracle Polish.

Pages : [1] 2

SilverLexus
04-25-2005, 08:17 AM
I just can`t believe how good this stuff is at removing swirl marks and scratches. I did a Toyota Avalon this weekend with very deep scratches on the back rear trunk lid where a baby carriage had been repeatedly placed.

After washing and claying the car, we used SSR2.5 on the PC pad, a medium cutting pad from Lake Country (VC) and went to work at "4" working our way up to "6"...results were immediately visible for an 80% improvement. That left 3 deep scratches, one into the primer. We then used SSR2.5 on a wool bonnet on the Makite rotary at "1" then "2" which left us with only the deepest primer etched scratch. But even this was narrow enough to be unnoticeable unless you are a foot away.

What I like about the product besides outright performance is the smell and ease of cleanup off the windows I inevitably get some on. The diminishing abrasive effect just seems to work well and buffing off the residue haze is a breeze.

I don`t mean to sound like a Poorboy`s commercial here but I just wanted to share my continued experience with this product. While we know that it removes swirls very easy, I am clearly having great luck with deep scratches and paint transfers as well. :)

White95Max
04-25-2005, 08:26 AM
It`s my favorite polish too. The bubble gum smell is definitely one of its strong points.

Did you get any hazing from 2.5 + medium-cut?

What color was the Avalon?

Carl Anderson
04-25-2005, 08:30 AM
I too have been very pleased with this polish. And it is appropriate for going right to the LSP without intervening steps which is nice.

mgm2003
04-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Poorboys products are awesome -that`s for sure.

The more I use SSR2.5 the more I like it. It`s so easy to use, does what it claims to, smells great, doesn`t dust much, breaks down quick, etc, etc.... It really is a great product.

A little off topic, but the same general theme.......

I tried Natural Look interior dressing for the first time over the weekend. Man, I was blown away. What a great product, and what a great looking finish on the interior. A very clean look with just enough shine.

benpocock
04-25-2005, 08:34 AM
I love the smell (Wrigleys Juicy Fruit gum) and am impressed with the results (even though I did use far too much when I first used it!). With a bit of practice I can see this becoming my go to swirl remover - it`s definitely easier to use than #83, not that the Meg`s is a bad product in any respect.

Ben

SilverLexus
04-25-2005, 09:20 AM
I don`t get any hazing Paul. The Avalon was gold. I have pics up in Click & Brag. I was fighting the clouds for decent shots all day though.

imported_guapsnaman
04-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by mgm121499

Poorboys products are awesome -that`s for sure.

The more I use SSR2.5 the more I like it. It`s so easy to use, does what it claims to, smells great, doesn`t dust much, breaks down quick, etc, etc.... It really is a great product.

Oh it dusts, it can dust a lot....That`s only if you use too much, and i mean TOO MUCH of the product. ;)

Don`t worry, I`ve learned and I love PB`s:bow

liquidtiger720
04-25-2005, 09:30 AM
I keep getting hazing and buffer marks (you can see the final motions and directions of the pc) after using ssr 2.5 with a 7.5 lc polishing pad. Other than that, It is a great product.

SilverLexus
04-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Hmmm...I think your technique must be doing something. I never get buffer marks...

imported_guapsnaman
04-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by SilverLexus

Hmmm...I think your technique must be doing something. I never get buffer marks...

Although it can happen with a cutting pad, there might be something wrong when there`s hazing with a polishing pad.

You can get rid of the marring by following up with SSR1 with a polishing pad.

EBPcivicsi
04-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by liquidtiger720

I keep getting hazing and buffer marks (you can see the final motions and directions of the pc) after using ssr 2.5 with a 7.5 lc polishing pad. Other than that, It is a great product.

IMO, you are probably doing too large of an area. Try to concentrate on a 2 ft X 2 ft area at a time. I have definitely seen hazing when using a cutting pad, but with a polishing pad, worked correctly you should be able to go right to your lsp.

Scottwax
04-25-2005, 03:30 PM
I agree. The more I use 2.5, the more I really like it. The biggest advantage it has over DACP is that you can use it in the sun. In fact, yesterday, I used it to polish out a black 2001 Ford F-150 at straight up noon in the direct sun (no room in his garage) so believe me, if it was going to haze, it would have been very obvious. On the sides, it really did a terrific job combined with a Meguiars polishing pad on light spider swirls and some marring from a previous hand polishing. It did a decent job on some wet sanding marks on the hood as well, although the paint had some checking in it and I didn`t want to get any more aggressive. In fact, both the roof and hood had checking (cracking paint) so the customer is going to talk to Ford about a repaint. But I digress.

I was really happy with the wet glow I got from 2.5 alone on this truck. I couldn`t detect any marring and the paint had noticably clearer reflections. I simply glazed with CK`s RMG and topped with EX w/carnauba.

I did get some dusting but that is to be expected on very warm black paint.

SilverLexus
04-25-2005, 05:40 PM
That`s my experience as well Scott regarding usage in the sun. Seems to be just fine...I may try RMG soon as a glaze but I often go from SSR2.5 to LSP.

Tasty
04-25-2005, 08:56 PM
OK, after reading the thread by David about over polishing I am now a little afraid to use 2.5. I think that it`s level of aggressiveness is needed on my ten year old paint that has been subjected to just about everything over the years. My truck was a farm truck before I bought it. If I use it on a yellow Propel pad am I taking too much of a risk on the clearcoat? I love the results I have seen with this stuff.

Scottwax
04-25-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Tasty

OK, after reading the thread by David about over polishing I am now a little afraid to use 2.5. I think that it`s level of aggressiveness is needed on my ten year old paint that has been subjected to just about everything over the years. My truck was a farm truck before I bought it. If I use it on a yellow Propel pad am I taking too much of a risk on the clearcoat? I love the results I have seen with this stuff.

You might want to go with a green Propel or Meguiars polishing pad first. With a PC, you aren`t going to remove much paint.