PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem----->

DETAILKING
04-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Whenever my computer`s screen saver kicks in and then I come back to the machine, it seems to lose internet connection over that time span, which I notice because AIM and yahoo messanger auto restart. I`m not sure why this started happening all of a sudden. Any suggestions?

dcswd
04-25-2005, 02:34 AM
What internet connection are you using? Dial-up? Cable? DSL?

Kind of a way around it... but maybe you would want to disable your screensaver. :nixweiss Just set your computer to turn off the monitor after a certain number of minutes. That doesnt take any cpu power while the screensaver will (although small... but this matters for some computers)

boywonder
04-25-2005, 07:23 AM
DK: What are the power settings on your computer? You might want to modify those via the Control Panel.

DETAILKING
04-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Power settings have not been changed. I never let the machine go to sleep or hibernate, turn off hard drive or anything. Screen saver kicks in after 10 mins and the monitor turns off after an hour. Seems like after about 30 mins or so the connection is lost and as SOON as I touch a key and the desktop is restored the connection is restored....WIERD.

Spilchy
04-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Is your computer hooked into a router?

If so, reboot your router. It may need to be refreshed.

If you do have a router DEFINATELY check to see if there is a firmware update for it.

That should fix it. I`d also reboot your modem and computer after you install the firmware.

If you don`t have a router, I`d contact your Internet provider and let them know. Maybe your modem needs to be updated.

Are you running a firewall software program? If so, it may be interfering and you have to change some settings. Try disabeling the software program, allow your screensaver to kick in, wait a bit and then try to hit the Internet. If you CAN, after it has been disabled, then you have your problem.

If that is the probelm, still do you firmware updates and run all your Windows Updates while you`re at it. Now is a good time to clean out your spyware with a program like AdAware from LavaSoft. Reboot everything. Give your machine a tune up!

topnotchtouch
04-25-2005, 10:56 AM
I would do as Spilchy suggests, disable your screensaver and see if it still drops your internet connection after sitting idle for the same amount of time.

Has anything changed recently on the machine, updates to the OS, new software, etc?

Autoeng
04-25-2005, 11:05 AM
If it does drop only after going to the screen saver you need to pull the case off, reseat your boards and wire connections and clean out the dust. Just did mine this weekend as it wouldn`t wake up after going to screen saver. Solved the problem.

DETAILKING
04-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Yeah it happens when the screen saver goes on and the monitor shuts down.....not AS SOON as that happens but some time into it....less than 1 hour. If I disable the screen saver and monitor shutoff, the machine stays connected online when idle even 2-3 hours.

I will disable my firewall and see if that helps. I have no router and cable going through my USB ports, so maybe the USB`s are disabled. I`ll try hooking it into my network port too and see if that helps.

THANKS GUYS

imported_perry
04-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by DETAILKING

I will disable my firewall and see if that helps. I have no router and cable going through my USB ports, so maybe the USB`s are disabled. I`ll try hooking it into my network port too and see if that helps.

That sounds right. The USB ports are being put in to power save mode and causing the disconnect. Normal network connection is better than USB anyways, so give that a whirl.

If you go in to the device manager and look at the properties for the USB root hub, one of the tabs should be "Power Management" and you can uncheck the box that allows the computer to manage the power to the USB ports. You`ll have a couple of those root hubs, so uncheck the box on each. Not using Windows right now so I`m not sure of the exact wording, but it should be fairly obvious.