PDA

View Full Version : I finally organized my detailing supplies!

Pages : [1] 2 3

White95Max
04-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks to a sale at Fleet Farm (a midwestern chain) on clear plastic storage containers. :)

I ended up buying:

1 - 48qt box ($8.00)

1 - 18qt box ($4.30)

6 - 15qt boxes ($2.00 each)

6 - 6qt boxes ($0.88 each)

So I was able to take my supplies from this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/White95Max/SuppliesBefore.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/White95Max/SuppliesBefore2.jpg

To this... :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/White95Max/SuppliesAfter2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/White95Max/SuppliesAfter.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/White95Max/SuppliesAfter3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/White95Max/SuppliesAfter4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/White95Max/SuppliesAfter5.jpg

Ah that`s better. And all for under $30.00. :xyxthumbs

Thomas Dekany
04-24-2005, 10:30 PM
I like it! Too bad I have to get gallon sizes and no garage. :D

imported_Denzil
04-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Wow, I`m jealous of your product and equipment arsenal. I feel like I have nothing compared to you. If you don`t mind me asking, what type of MF`s do you have dedicated for your exterior and your interior?

White95Max
04-24-2005, 10:53 PM
My exterior MFs are the blue supremes from Excel Detail.

My Interior/glass MFs are the green MFs from WCD.

The "Other MFs" are WalMart ones, used for drying tires, wheelwells, cleaning engines...

Wasatch
04-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Looks alot better.

imported_Denzil
04-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Oh ok, what about your case of foam applicators and mf applicators?

Man, that`s a lot of machine washing for your mf`s. Do you usually wash all your stuff after each car wash or do you just toss them in a "to-be-washed" box until it gets filled up? I`m assuming you wash all your mf`s in washes that are sorted as you have pictured correct? Do you use different products on your pads or do you have designated pads for each product? Sorry for the plethora of questions but I`d like to get an idea of your methods. :xyxthumbs

White95Max
04-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Denzil

Oh ok, what about your case of foam applicators and mf applicators?

Man, that`s a lot of machine washing for your mf`s. Do you usually wash all your stuff after each car wash or do you just toss them in a "to-be-washed" box until it gets filled up? I`m assuming you wash all your mf`s in washes that are sorted as you have pictured correct? Do you use different products on your pads or do you have designated pads for each product? Sorry for the plethora of questions but I`d like to get an idea of your methods. :xyxthumbs

The foam applicators are the 4" Meg`s yellow apps from WalMart. They come in packs of 2 for $2.00 or so.

The MF apps are the round ones from ExcelDetail. The ones I use for glass are the 4x6 rectangular ones from Excel.

I have several 5qt buckets that are labeled "dirty MF apps", "dirty foam apps", and "dirty foam wheel apps". After use, I throw the used apps into their respective buckets until I have about half of them in the "dirty" bucket. Then I wash them by hand (separately) in a bucket of warm water and Dawn.

I have enough Excel MFs to get a full medium load in the washing machine. I have a cardboard box that I use for used MFs. Again, I have several boxes for exterior MFs, interior MFs, and WalMart MFs. The interior ones are washed by hand (since it would be a real waste of water to wash these since I only have 7 of them). The WalMart MFs and Excel MFs are machine washed separately. The Excel MFs are washed with Woolite, and the WM ones get whatever detergent is closest to the machine. :)

I use the same type of product on each pad, and almost always wash the pad before using a different product on it. If I use a pad with SSR2 and it`s not working for swirl removal, I`ll use the same pad for SSR2.5.

I think I answered them all... :)

PerfectFinish1
04-25-2005, 12:44 AM
I really like how organized that is... but not sure if I could handle it. Right now I just have all of my products lined up on a large table in my garage just for all the detailing supplies, very easy to see and grab anything I need, and put back where I found it. (organized by type of product) For me, I don`t think I could handle not having such easy access to the products ::Shrug::

soysaucial
04-25-2005, 12:56 AM
sweet

imported_Denzil
04-25-2005, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by White95Max

The foam applicators are the 4" Meg`s yellow apps from WalMart. They come in packs of 2 for $2.00 or so.

The MF apps are the round ones from ExcelDetail. The ones I use for glass are the 4x6 rectangular ones from Excel.

I have several 5qt buckets that are labeled "dirty MF apps", "dirty foam apps", and "dirty foam wheel apps". After use, I throw the used apps into their respective buckets until I have about half of them in the "dirty" bucket. Then I wash them by hand (separately) in a bucket of warm water and Dawn.

I have enough Excel MFs to get a full medium load in the washing machine. I have a cardboard box that I use for used MFs. Again, I have several boxes for exterior MFs, interior MFs, and WalMart MFs. The interior ones are washed by hand (since it would be a real waste of water to wash these since I only have 7 of them). The WalMart MFs and Excel MFs are machine washed separately. The Excel MFs are washed with Woolite, and the WM ones get whatever detergent is closest to the machine. :)

I use the same type of product on each pad, and almost always wash the pad before using a different product on it. If I use a pad with SSR2 and it`s not working for swirl removal, I`ll use the same pad for SSR2.5.

I think I answered them all... :)

Yeah you answered all my questions thoroughly. I`m very happy that you did and now I am less confused... LoL. So what do you use your 4" Meg`s yellow apps from WalMart for and the MF apps from ExcelDetail for? I`m trying to figure out what you use your applicators for and why the difference in applicators?

I`m thinking I can justify purchasing more mf`s so I don`t "waste" water... hehe. ;)

cenwesi
04-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Lol, i did exactly this yesterday. I went to homedepot, lowes, target looking for garage shelf stuff. Ended up buying some wall mounting stuff and as soon as i get home i will take a picture of it and show it to you guys. I spent about $20 on the stuff since i alread have the wood, in all i saved over $100 ;)

White95Max
04-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by PerfectFinish1

For me, I don`t think I could handle not having such easy access to the products ::Shrug::

It is still very easy to access anything. Since the boxes are clear, it makes it very easy to see what`s inside the boxes. Even if the one I need is on the bottom, I can just lift ALL the boxes on top of that one and set them on the floor. It`s not like the boxes are heavy at all (with the exception of the huge one with all the products).

My biggest concern was all the other crap in the basement, like floor mops falling on my MFs, spiderwebs around my supplies, dust accumulation...

But it makes it a ton easier to transport any of my supplies now. I used to have to make 3 trips or more to carry just the stuff I needed to do my neighbors` cars across the street. Now I could carry my entire supply collection at once if I needed. They stack so well it would be pretty easy to carry all of them.

White95Max
04-25-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Denzil

Yeah you answered all my questions thoroughly. I`m very happy that you did and now I am less confused... LoL. So what do you use your 4" Meg`s yellow apps from WalMart for and the MF apps from ExcelDetail for? I`m trying to figure out what you use your applicators for and why the difference in applicators?

I`m thinking I can justify purchasing more mf`s so I don`t "waste" water... hehe. ;)

The Meg`s yellow apps are used for exterior application of LSPs. I have separate ones for wheels/rocker panels, and the paint/glass.

The MF apps are used for interior cleaning for the most part. I do have 2 of them that are labeled "AIO" and "SSR". When I need a little more bite than a foam app, I use the MF app.

As said before, I have a couple of the 4x6 MF apps from Excel for glass cleaning. They work extremely well for this purpose. It`s much easier to hold the rectangular ones vertical for a long time instead of the round ones.

Some of the reason I have so many Excel MFs is because I wanted to have enough for a full load of laundry. I may even get more... I only have 40 or so. :) Maybe I should get enough for a large load?

SilverLexus
04-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Good system Paul. :)

I use the Rubbermaid clear boxes to organize my accessories and towels.

stiege
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
I`m begging you to move that stuff away from your gas fired hot air furnace.

Jason