PDA

View Full Version : Polishing exhaust tips

Pages : [1] 2

zesty-man
12-11-2004, 11:22 PM
hey, i was just wondering, how do you guys polish your exhaust tips? i`ve really been debating over polishing them, and now theyre getting really filthy, so i want to do something before they become black... is there a way i can remove them so i can polish them? what polihes do you recommend?

thanks

Woob
12-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Zesty if your talking about the Bimmer, its pretty hard to take it off I think. YOu will just hafta squeeze and polish with a microfiber (thats how I do it). ProPolish worked well for me, but there is so much you can polish in a limited space.

rockford33
12-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Zesty,
I have used Poorboy`s Pro Polish to clean my dual chrome exhaust tips. Makes them nice and shiny. Haven`t put any wax or other protectant on them yet, but I probably will starting in the spring.

tubafeak
12-11-2004, 11:35 PM
To find out if you can remove them, crawl under the car and look for hex bolts or something. To polish them start with a Dawn wash to get the crud off (brillo would also work), get a bunch of different steel wool grades, and some metal polish (I use Mothers, use what you like), polish the crap out of them with each grade of polish-soaked steel wool, repeat until shiny (may need haevy cut paint cleaner), once shiny enough you put a few good coats ( :hah 1000) of your favorite sealant (preferably one with which you could have on your car for several months with no ill effects (read: DURABLE).

If you do this correctly, your exhaust tips should come out mirror-like. Have fun.

By the way, it takes a while, so bring a soda or twelve to keep you hydrated.

tubafeak
12-11-2004, 11:36 PM
That :yeah process is to RESTORE the tips. If they`re in good condition, just use a metal polish on an applicator and you`ll be fine.

I`ve always wondered who your Avatar was. She`s not bad, not bad at all.

zesty-man
12-11-2004, 11:39 PM
hmmm, so i guess this means that im gonna have to use my dad`s crawler to get under the car and polish them? how much polish will i use? if its a small amount, i will probably just get a sample of PP from ranney. also, should i try using the very fine steel wool, or a microfiber? is it possible to seal the exhaust tips too?

thanks again!

ossi
12-11-2004, 11:58 PM
i had very good results with a general metal polish called "simichrome". this is german stuff, generally used for polishing aluminum molds in the tooling industry. this stuff is non-abrassive but polishes away any crap that`s on your tubes. you can get simicrome from a lot of places, here is one:

http://www.winterbrookfarm.com/restore.htm

search google, you will find info and more sources.
this is good stuff!

my 2c...
-r

91LSMAN
12-12-2004, 01:39 AM
I have the Greddy Exhaust on my Legend. I`ve never polished it, but I always slide underneath to clean it every time I wash. I have used S&W a couple times too.

Seeing this thread makes me cringe a bit. Dad just recieved the B&B Bullet exhaust for the Vette-those Tips are HUGE-LOL.

awd330
12-12-2004, 03:31 PM
I use a mild paint polish for exhaust tips (e.g. Poorboy`s Pro Polish, Polish with Carnauba, Clearkote Vanilla Moose). I apply a small amount of product to a sturdy microfiber towel (a "work towel"), rub onto the surface of the metal, then let sit for a minute or two. Then, I go back and wipe off the residue with the towel and buff quickly like you see shoe shine folks buffing shoes with a long cloth. For quick touch ups to a recently polished tail pipe, I use a product like QD+.

zesty-man
12-12-2004, 03:33 PM
hmmm, what should i use to clean the exhausts intially?

awd330
12-12-2004, 03:36 PM
hmmm, what should i use to clean the exhausts intially?
The first product I turn to is the Pro Polish.

mtodde
12-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Pinnacle Cycle makes some strips that may work for you as does Luster Lace. Autogeek carries both in their cycle section.

jaybs02
12-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Pro polish should work well.(did a nice job on my wifes rims)

I used to use Mother`s on my bikes exhaust.

Just got some Pinnacle cycle Metal polishing strips (free gift from the 12 days thing).
Seems like a good idea but have yet to try them out

Good luck and Happy holidays
"J"

kasperj
12-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Another method i`ve utilized before is the ol coke and tin foil, it worked pretty well

jaybs02
12-13-2004, 07:26 PM
i`m curious, what is the ol coke & tin foil method?