PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermaid bucket w/grit guard at TARGET

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

EBPcivicsi
04-24-2005, 09:26 AM
I was in Target yesterday and saw the new vroom products. I couldn`t pass up the tire dressing, but that is for later. :D

As was mentioned in anopther thread, they have a whole new line of products, brushes/applicators, and towels. While several looked tempting, I had to try the new bucket.

The bucket is well made and comes with a 3 posistion handle. It will hold 4 gallons of water and has a nice grit guard in the bottom. The bucket also has two wheels on the back.

Pros: The grit guard will actually stay in the bottom of the bucket unlike the black magic version that would float to the top.

The wheels only being on one side make it more user friendly when detailing on an incline. Buckets with four wheels often roll down the driveway when on an incline.

The marked measurements are easy to read and help if you are trying to dillute soap to a certain level.

The price was only around $10

Cons: The handle, is really almost useless when the bucket is full. The "notch" that holds the handle where *I* would like it is too weak to hold the bucket under load. This makes the handle fall down.

Bottom line: IMO the best OTC bucket ever made. I mean someone must be paying attention over at Rubbermaid. The bucket is really nice, when you factor in performane/dollar it is the SRT-4 of buckets. :D It sure beats the heck out of dragging around a regular 5 gallon bucket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ebpcivicsi/tn_129_2913.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ebpcivicsi/tn_129_2910.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ebpcivicsi/tn_129_2914.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ebpcivicsi/tn_129_2915.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ebpcivicsi/tn_129_2916.jpg

Spilchy
04-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Nice write up :up I saw the same bucket too. But it was $13 by me. I think I mentioned it in another Vroom post. Nice to post pics. I tried to find it on Rubbermaid`s site so I could show people the link. It looks to be the best OTC, all in one, best priced, bucket out there. They also had that little detail caddy that was kind of cool.

For me, nothing beats a good old home depot 5 gallon paint bucket on a bucket dolly http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTELargeImageView?rfno=18606&storeId=6970

Sturdy, great handle and resists staining. I use 2 of them when I wash - 1 for soap, 1 for rinse. So the grit guard is of no use for me.

But, anyone who can only get by with one bucket and wants a grit guard, this Rubbermaid is a solid buy. I was impressed with it. I shared the same concern about the handle. Maybe anyone who buys it can fabricate something a little more sturdy.

Steve530
04-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Nice find, good pics and review. Thanks for posting.

zainoshine
04-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Sweet product. I`ve been waiting for something like this. Man I love Target!

Setec Astronomy
04-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by ebpcivicsi

Cons: The handle, is really almost useless when the bucket is full. The "notch" that holds the handle where *I* would like it is too weak to hold the bucket under load. This makes the handle fall down.

The one I was looking at in the store--the handle wouldn`t even stay on when it was empty. I also couldn`t really figure out how the wheels were going to be of any value--it didn`t seem like there was any way to get the handle to pull the bucket over so you could roll it--besides the point that you made that the handle pops off when the bucket is full. To me, that kind of makes the bucket useless if it has no workable handle for lifting or rolling when it is full.

EDIT: Sorry, you didn`t say the handle pops off when it is full--you said it falls down, which isn`t a big deal--except the one in the store that I was looking at--the handle popped off just from the weight of the bucket. I thought it was just installed improperly so I popped it back in and it did the same thing again. The attachment for the handle (pops into a flimsy plastic track) is just not up to carrying several gallons of water, even if the one I was looking at was a poor example.

gb387
04-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Looks good.... I have heard about it and never seen it yet. looks like a well thought out product.

EBPcivicsi
04-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

The one I was looking at in the store--the handle wouldn`t even stay on when it was empty. I also couldn`t really figure out how the wheels were going to be of any value--it didn`t seem like there was any way to get the handle to pull the bucket over so you could roll it--besides the point that you made that the handle pops off when the bucket is full. To me, that kind of makes the bucket useless if it has no workable handle for lifting or rolling when it is full.

EDIT: Sorry, you didn`t say the handle pops off when it is full--you said it falls down, which isn`t a big deal--except the one in the store that I was looking at--the handle popped off just from the weight of the bucket. I thought it was just installed improperly so I popped it back in and it did the same thing again. The attachment for the handle (pops into a flimsy plastic track) is just not up to carrying several gallons of water, even if the one I was looking at was a poor example.

Yeah, I just sort of pull it around the car by the front of the bucket, the handle is really useless IMO. For my process it still beats dragging around a 5 gal bucket w/out wheels around the car. The handle is definitely the downfall of the design.

rollman
04-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Nice review :xyxthumbs What`s that little section behind the handle for ? Kinda looks like an area you could put small wheel brushes . Will it hold water ?

Roadster J
04-24-2005, 01:34 PM
What`s that little section behind the handle for ? Kinda looks like an area you could put small wheel brushes . Will it hold water ?

In the vertical shot it looks like the bottom of the section is sloted so water will drain. My guess is that it is intended for wash mit storage.

mystickid
04-24-2005, 02:02 PM
ebpcivicsi ---Nice post w/ pics.

I`m planning on getting a digital camera so i can start posting pics to. What`s your digital camera (Brand-Model) ???

I like the quality of the pics.

Thanx.

imported_DetailGirl
04-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Here I thought that I was the only one who was going to get that lol. I too saw it but I thought at the time that it did not hold enough water, little did I know that it holds 4 gallons, I guess its time for another trip to Target

armoredsaint
04-24-2005, 04:42 PM
It looks like you can`t carry it around one-handed with the handle by the way it`s positioned, but it looks cool.

C. Charles Hahn
04-24-2005, 04:49 PM
I looked at that yesterday and was real tempted, but ultimately my pair of home depot 5gal buckets will continue to get the job done.

Charlie Matco
04-24-2005, 05:14 PM
seems like the rubbermaid designer might need to go back to design school. if you pick that thing up by the handle when it`s full of water, why you`d have wet feet!

Steve530
04-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by armoredsaintt

It looks like you can`t carry it around one-handed with the handle by the way it`s positioned, but it looks cool.

From the position of the handle and the wheels, it looks as though it`s designed to be pulled by the handle when it has water in it, not lifted by the handle.