PDA

View Full Version : Is wiping pollen bad for finish?

Pages : [1] 2

Web Docta
04-23-2005, 01:38 PM
The tree pollen has been pretty bad around here for the past couple of weeks.the

My car has been sitting in the garage but it still collects pollen. I`ve been wiping it down with a microfiber and detail spray. Can I scratch my finish by wiping the pollen off?

Bobby G
04-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Hey Web Docta,

When I had my 944 Turbo I split my time between Atlanta and Washington, D.C. Both areas have really bad tree pollen. In Atlanta, the tree pollen was so bad my car would turn green!

Anyway, I used my duster and wiped it down with detailing spray (at the time it was Meguiar`s) on a near daily basis. After 6 years, the Guards Red paint still looked perfect.

So, I`d have to say that if you take care you can keep your car dusted and looking good without damage.

1 Clean WS6
04-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

In Atlanta, the tree pollen was so bad my car would turn green!

Things have not changed in the ole ATL David! In fact this spring set records for pollen count levels...it was HORRIBLE!!!

Web Docta I fully agree with David in that so long as you use a California Duster or some other type of similar duster before you use a QD you will be just fine.

Bobby G
04-23-2005, 02:00 PM
While I LOVE Atlanta, I don`t miss my allergies!

Good luck keeping the green off of your WS6, Mike!

Web Docta
04-23-2005, 02:04 PM
The pollen is so bad here right now that last night when the wind was blowing up a bit it looked like a dust storm in the desert. :D

My cars are collecting pollen in spite of the fact that every vehicle I own is garaged.

I don`t own a duster but I`ll pick one up later today. Any recommendations?

Bobby G
04-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Web Docta

I don`t own a duster but I`ll pick one up later today. Any recommendations?

My personal favorite is the OXO... not easy to find locally. After that I like the original CCD.

Eliot Ness
04-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

My personal favorite is the OXO... not easy to find locally. After that I like the original CCD.

:xyxthumbs

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/oxo-1050580.html

togwt
04-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Pollen:

The yellow dust you see in the air made up of small cells from blooming plants and are one of the most common allergy triggers. The pollen from trees are the main concern, vehicles get hit with pollen laced trees that include: oak, western red cedar, elm, birch, ash, hickory, polar, sycamore, maple, cypress and walnut.

Pollen isn`t removed by air friction as you drive because it adheres to a surface with microscopic barbs that can attach to even a very slightly uneven surface, and adheres to a natural wax better than a synthetic polymer

As well as being an allergic it is both an abrasive and a corrosive type dust especially when mixed with water ("Always add the acid to the water Ã₆never add the water to acid") and should therefore be removed from paint surfaces as soon as is practicable.

For dry pollen dust use a (California Car Duster) lightly brush the surface using long strokes in one direction only. If the pollen is wet remove with a damp waffle weave towel, to avoid scratching, using as little pressure as possible, again wiping in one direction only. As soon as is practical, thoroughly rinse the vehicle with a hose and clean water to ensure all acidic pollen is neutralized / removed.

JonM

Aequitas
04-23-2005, 04:30 PM
I just ordered the OXO duster a couple weeks ago because the pollen was/is so bad. I wipe it down with that every couple of days and then use a QD, seems to do the trick. But then I go to work and I come out at lunch and my car is completely covered again :angry

Web Docta
04-23-2005, 05:52 PM
I`ve decided that I`m just going to wait it out and give it a good wash once the pollen subsides. It`s just unbelievable here right now.

I got it looking nice and clean in my garage. I always keep my garage doors open because I`m always "in and out" working around the house. I came back about an hour later and it`s covered with pollen again. :(

C. Charles Hahn
04-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 1 Clean WS6

Things have not changed in the ole ATL David! In fact this spring set records for pollen count levels...it was HORRIBLE!!!

Web Docta I fully agree with David in that so long as you use a California Duster or some other type of similar duster before you use a QD you will be just fine.

I wouldnt be able to survive there, that`s for sure. I`m allergic to pollen and dust! :doh

Steve530
04-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

I wouldnt be able to survive there, that`s for sure. I`m allergic to pollen and dust! :doh

I a few hours north of ATL, and everybody, it seems, has trouble with allergies.

This year seems particularly bad. The weather changed abruptly from steady cool to steady warm. I suspect that some of the trees were delayed and others were early producing pollen. Sort of the "Perfect Storm" of pollen.

imported_Jinba ittai
04-24-2005, 12:20 PM
The pollen is becoming a PITA here too. Not so much dust yet (that`s usually in May-June) but little flecks of stuff coming from the trees. While cleaning the car today I moved the car 3 times trying to avoid it. Thank goodness for the CCD.

When I use the CCD I basically use very light strokes to almost blow the debris off the car. I never push down on the duster. I`m almost "fanning off" the pollen. Works well if the car is clean. If the car is too dirty for this I wash it.

Web Docta
04-24-2005, 06:46 PM
I picked up the Original California Car Duster today and it really did a very good job. :up I had my Porsche wiped down in about a minute.

What I don`t understand is that the instructions say that the dirtier the duster gets, the better it works....How can that be?

C. Charles Hahn
04-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Web Docta

I picked up the Original California Car Duster today and it really did a very good job. :up I had my Porsche wiped down in about a minute.

What I don`t understand is that the instructions say that the dirtier the duster gets, the better it works....How can that be?

Remember the duster is coated in a waxlike substance. That dirt will prevent the duster from "sticking" to the paint surface and causing streaks. Thats why a lot of people wrap them in newspaper for a few days right after buying them, so the paper can transfer ink and extract some of that wax. :xyxthumbs