PDA

View Full Version : claybar the vehicle last month, neccesary again?

D4cmaN
04-23-2005, 01:56 AM
something cant get out of my mind: when i was detailing my car last month, i used a claybar. now that its been a month, is it really neccesary to claybar the car again before polishing and waxing?

is there a basic rule of how many contaminents* stick onto the body of the car that a wash mitt cant get off?

thanks all

btw: how long does polish need to dry before applying wax:)

Bobby G
04-23-2005, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by D4cmaN

something cant get out of my mind: when i was detailing my car last month, i used a claybar. now that its been a month, is it really neccesary to claybar the car again before polishing and waxing?

is there a basic rule of how many contaminents* stick onto the body of the car that a wash mitt cant get off?

thanks all

btw: how long does polish need to dry before applying wax:)

IMHO, people over use clay. I recommend claying twice a year... less you you are fanatical about how your care for your car and keep it garaged.

All polishes are different. Most do not need to dry before buffing them off. Simply work it in to th paint finish one panel (or 2` by 2`) area at a time and buff it off.

Regarding the contamination that regular washing won`t removed, that all depends on:

1. How frequently you wash

2. How good your car wash shampoo is and the strength you use

3. How well your paint is maintained and the kind of wax you use.

There are simply too many factors to give you a simple, factual answer.

:wavey

travisdecpn
04-23-2005, 03:04 AM
If you`re going to polish and wax again anyways, why not clay it again? I mean it`s just one additional step that will only help make the polishing step easier. I don`t know, that`s just my philosophy on that subject matter.

Bobby G
04-23-2005, 03:09 AM
Risk vs. reward. There is risk involved with claying your paint. The less frequently you take the risk, the less likely you are to experience a problem.

Also, clay is not cheap. Why use $$$ when it is not necessary? You can remove most light contamination safer and with better finish results (i.e., higher gloss paint) using a paint cleaner.

travisdecpn
04-23-2005, 03:30 AM
That`s a valid point. I sometimes overlook the safety issue, I just assume clay is harmless (when used correctly), however there is the possibility to induce marring. Cost is also important, my claybars are usually cut in half so I can get about 20 applications out of them. That being said, I probably clay more frequently then the average detailer.

cenwesi
04-23-2005, 07:02 AM
So what are you guys saying, that too much claying is BAD. How can this be. I thought claying just takes out the contaminations. I can see how it can be bad if you don`t wet the area corectly.

imported_memnuts
04-23-2005, 07:31 AM
Like DavidB, I rarely clay more than twice a year. I do check my daily drivers every 2-3 months using the plastic bag (baggie) tactile procedure. If I can feel a rough surface I will clay. The only exception is my white SUV. This requires lower panel claying at least once a month because white shows any tar and grime that the wash was unable to remove and a paint cleanser would require too many passes to remove (abrade away).

Accumulator
04-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by cenwesi

So what are you guys saying, that too much claying is BAD. How can this be. I thought claying just takes out the contaminations. I can see how it can be bad if you don`t wet the area corectly.

I don`t see how *careful, gentle* claying can be bad. If you clay so gently that you`re just cleaning the LSP, and not inducing marring, I can`t see any harm being done. That might be a pretty big "if", though.

YukonG
05-02-2005, 09:19 PM
I think that when it comes to deciding whether or not to clay, you have to be your own judge. I basically "feel" the surface of my paint to detect any rough spots that contain embedded contaminants. If these contaminants were left after washing, then I will clay to remove them. I may only clay the surface of the vehicle that needs it and then use a prewax cleaner on the rest of the paint.

pancho1984
05-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by cenwesi

no one is saying its BAD. Reality is that every time you touch your paint, there is a risk, large or small, that you might cause harm. Following the directions and proper technique minimizes the risk but doesn`t reduce it to zero.