PDA

View Full Version : Repainting Raised White Letters

Mathwiz
12-11-2004, 09:39 AM
I did a search and found stuff to clean RWL`s on tires but mine need to be repainted. They look awful.

Any ideas or proven products ?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

CharlesW
12-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Nope.
You might want to check with a good tire shop for suggestions.
The RWL tires on my Corvette are not painted. The rubber in them is white. They would have to be pretty abused to not be able to clean them up. When white sidewall tires were popular, I used a brass brush and Westley`s Bleche-White with good results. Might work for you.:dunno
Would paint stay on a tire? I would think that even a paint intended for that use would have a short lifespan.

Charles

Poorboy
12-11-2004, 10:29 AM
:yeah

the white goes through the entire wall just like whitewalls..just find a good cleaner that will clean and restore the white ...Westley will make the white bleed though...

brwill2004
12-11-2004, 12:04 PM
I would definitely try cleaning them with a good tire cleaner, usually that makes them white again. I have seen raised white letters where the paint is coming off. The only thing I can think of would be white out, or some type of white model paint.

Shaun Carollo
12-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Just use some degreaser and a brass bristle brush, like the kind you use to clean a bbq grill. You may need to use some ajax also if they are in very bad shape.

kimwallace
12-11-2004, 12:22 PM
I use Bleche White ... be careful though as it might stain your wheels.
an old school trick (since I am old) is to use a brillo pad. (if they still make them)

Beemerboy
12-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Once you get them clean as Steve said you can also get a white grease pencil at about any auto store and that will fill in the cracks. It will not last all the long but will make the letters stand out big time