PDA

View Full Version : Zymol layering over FMJ

sinbad
04-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Firstly, thanks to all the fine folks here at autopia.org. I have learned alot to support this obsessive hobby.

I have a "Guards Red" 2000 Porsche Boxster. I was told that the clear coat and paint are mixed together instead separate layers from factory. Therefore, I am not very agressive in removing swirls and light scratches.

On my last detail I ...

washed with Menzerna sopa

Black Magic clay bar

1x application FPII with PC7424 and 6" white pad (cma)

1x application Menzerna glaze with PC7424 and 6" grey pad (cma)

2x application FMJ with PC7424 and 6" grey pad (cma)

The result has been a good clean finsh with about 60-70% swirls removed.

I was wondering if a layer of Zymol (Destiny, Vintage, or Atlantique) would provide a deep wet look. I have a sample Zymol pack which has been collecting dust since I started using Menzerna products.

I was not sure if Zymol would even stay layered over FMJ. Would it hide some of the light swirls which Menerna glaze did not?

Any thoughts from you guys would be great. Thank you.

imported_Burlyq
04-22-2005, 04:14 PM
That is common in painting mixing CC and SS paint. I find it curious that Porsche is doing it, it is usually something done to save money. Maybe, they are doing it so they don`t have OP under thier CC, that`s the only thing I can think of. Either case, you still can remove those swirls trust me. You need to break out the IP and cutting pad, then finish with FPII. You can do this many many times and not see primer ever.

DrSauekraut
04-22-2005, 05:24 PM
I share Burlyqâ€â„¢s sentiment . . . go back and remove the swirls. Menzerna polishes are very effective and the chance of damaging paint is highly unlikely.

In regard to topping FMJ â€â€œ donâ€â„¢t waste your time. Despite my better judgment, Iâ€â„¢ve tried various combinations of carnauba over FMJ and wasted time/money. As a matter of fact, carnauba seemed to dull the finish. FMJ is perfect on its own. Good luck

:xyxthumbs

sinbad
04-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys for replying. I used the PC with Menzerna product twice on this car so far. The 1st time I used IP with white pad, followed by FPII, glaze, FMJ. I got majority (about 60%) of the swirls out this way. The glaze helped to conceal the imperfections still there. The 2nd time, I skipped the IP and started by FPII and about 10-15% of swirls were removed.

After reading your replys, I will stick with my PC/Menzerna routine and not layer with Zymol.

I get alot of nice feedback from neighbors (who are loyal to Zymol), friends, and the local DentBuster/body shop guy with the Menzerna finish. It is a clean factory new look.

I am happy with Menzerna. With this hobby (addiction), you are always looking for ways to improve.

lbls1
04-22-2005, 07:48 PM
As long as the fmj isn`t a wax, then it should be ok. Zymol doesn`t recommend that you put their estate waxes on top of any other wax. The estate waxes are a finicky brand, and just a little effort will give you outstanding results.

IMO, I wouldn`t put the Zymol over a sealant either, but that`s my personal taste. It may produce an ok result if you want to do that. Good waxing!