PDA

View Full Version : Time for a PC

rodeo-clown
12-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Hey all

My new ride had some water spots, and after some tuff work by hand using ScratchX and Reflections on the hood, I`ve almost managed to remove all the swirls, most water marks and some light scratches.

It was quite an effort, and being a perfectionist, I`m still 100% not happy, so I`m going to get a PC and some pads and go at it.

Question is, this is a new car and the scratches are very minor. Some water spots are there too. SSR 2 or SSR1?

I have also used Klasse twins on this car and would like to follow up with this after SSR. Is SSR1 and AIO overkill?

I`d be planning to do the following

SSR 1 / 2 - with Megs backing plate and 6.5" polishing pad.
AIO
SG
Souveran
(all products removed with finishing pad or mf)

Tell me what you think. This will give me a killer shine, and save my arm from falling off next time!

treestand
12-11-2004, 03:46 PM
I like SSR 2 a lot and I think it works very well. Without seeing the defects, I cant really say if you should go with SSR1 instead of 2 or not. SSR1 is on the lower end of the abrasive scale along with scratch x though.

You can go straight to AIO from SSR2 if you want.

Well thats what I can say... it looks like you have a good plan going.

Hope this helps :)

rodeo-clown
12-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Great. Thanks for your reply.

I think I`ll buy SSR2 and SSR1 and see how I go. If ScratchX wasn`t able to remove some scratches, then most likely I`ll use SSR2.

How many pads do you think I`ll need? I was thinking 1 polishing pad for the SSR, 2 finishing pads for the AIO and SG. I`ll remove with a mf. Sound OK? Or should I get another finishing pad for product removal?

treestand
12-11-2004, 07:12 PM
If I was doing the work, I would use a Cutting or Polishing pad with SSR2 as needed, a polishing pad for AIO, and I would apply SG and other waxes by hand and remove with an mf.

If you want, a finishing pad is great for applying waxes. To remove them, you will need something like Meguiar`s Ultimate Bonnet (made from microfiber). You can put that right over the finishing pad that you were using. The finishing pad would also work for AIO.. either way.

Hope this helps :)

rodeo-clown
12-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Excellent. Thanks for your help

I`ve purchased 2 polishing pads for the SSR and AIO. And one finishing pad for the SG. I`ll apply the wax by hand and remove all products by mf.

Looking forward to some detailing!

wifehatescar
12-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a plan. Keep in mind even SSR2 is fairly mild so you may need a couple passes of it to remove swirls.