PDA

View Full Version : SSR 2.5 - how much do you use?

benpocock
04-21-2005, 05:42 PM
I cracked open a brand new bottle of SSR2.5 to use on a black 645 cab I was detailing today and was quite alarmed to see that I used 3/4 of it by the end of the day.

Is this "normal" or do you think i was being a bit too liberal with it? If it`s normal I think I`ll be investing in a big bottle pretty soon.

Also, I used it with a polishing pad (Sonus green) and it left noticeable marring - is this common or was I working it wrong?

Sorry for the lame wording of the questions - but I`m knackered and can`t think straight!

Thanks as always,

Ben.

SpoiledMan
04-21-2005, 06:20 PM
The marring and amount of product used combined say to me that the marring was cause by the product not being properly broken down. Did that make sense? 1-2 ounces is about all you should go through and maybe even less than that on a car that new with no roof.

Take your time and work the product thoroughly and you should see better results.

Mad iX
04-21-2005, 06:36 PM
2 ounces should be more than enough. I use a fair bit to begin with but once the pad is "primed", you only need to apply very little. Just enough to spread around the area you`re working on.

benpocock
04-22-2005, 03:03 AM
Thanks guys I think that was the problem. I `ll have to try and remember not to hose the pad down with product too much. When you`re still learning though it`s very hard to find the line between too much and not enough!

I`ve got another black car to detail on Saturday so will try again then!

Ben

Richt
04-22-2005, 05:25 AM
Its things like leaving marring not knowing how much product to use that is worrying me about getting a PC. How did you remove the marring Ben, different milder polish?

benpocock
04-22-2005, 06:30 AM
I removed the marring with SRP, but as it was dark when we finished I couldn`t tell whether I`d got it all or not. I`ve asked Tim to look in the sun today and will go back with some SSR1 of there`s still some there.

Don`t worry about getting the PC, this was the first time I`ve used SSR2.5, and I was also using it on the first black car I`ve detailed and in the sun as well - so it was a pretty steep learning curve.

I`ve never had a "problem" with any of the other cars I`ve detailed. Like they say - practice makes perfect.

Ben

Richt
04-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Cheers Ben, After trying out the SSR`s at AndyC`s thats the route I was going to go - also for black car. It mainly has a few light swirls left from the dealer prep. If I buy the 2 and 2.5, will something like Megs Swirl free or #9 stand in for SSR1 or would you buy that to?

jetskie
04-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Yes #9 or #82 will work instead of SSR1, but they have filler in them and some people don`t like that as they said it is harder to see if you remove the defect completly. Its up to you, but if you remove all of the marring with SSR 2.5 then it would not matter if you use a polish with fillers. As far as product used in general I use about 3 ounces of polish for a midsize car. I say you are using too much product.

goceltics34
05-02-2005, 04:43 PM
What if you are doing a car that has many swirls, scratches, very oxidized and needs lots of attention and several passes? How much of the bottle of SSR 2.5 do you think will be needed. I am almost done working on a jeep that needed this much attention and find that more than half the bottle has been used. I have had to make several passes on each panel because I still saw light swirl marks when looking at the paint in the sunlight. This is my first time using the PC and have heard that you have to be liberal with it. Am I using too much product?

I have been using SSR 2.5 with the orange light cutting pad by LC.

J.J.
05-02-2005, 06:19 PM
I think you pretty much answered your ouwn question when you said, "I`ve had to make several passes and I still see swirl"

If you are positive you are breaking the polish down thoroughly enough, I would`nt worry about how much product you`re using. It`s those times when you are using alot of product and retrieving no results in return that you should begin to worry

JJ

goceltics34
05-02-2005, 06:30 PM
I definitely see results, however at a slow pace. It is taking a long time to get each panel to my liking. I am sure this is typical of the PC. I originally thought the PC would allow me to get rid of swirls immediately. Boy was I naive. You need patience, but with the persistence comes a nice reward. I think I may need to order some more SSR 2.5 soon.

JeffM
05-02-2005, 07:23 PM
For a badly swirled vehicle, i can spend an hour on a fender no problem.

Maybe i am slow, maybe i am fast, i dunno, thats how long i take :)

You can put a piece of low stick blue painters tape to seperate an area, then count how many applications of each product you do to perfect the finish.

Not only that, but sometimes it is hard to see the results unless you have a sharp comparison.

PS. If the paint is really beat, you might want to try megs 1st step paint cleaner just to remove some of the uglies so you can better evaluate what you are dealing with. For 5 bucks you cant go wrong, and it works fairly quickly with a pc.

imported_vindaloo
05-03-2005, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Richt

Cheers Ben, After trying out the SSR`s at AndyC`s thats the route I was going to go - also for black car. It mainly has a few light swirls left from the dealer prep. If I buy the 2 and 2.5, will something like Megs Swirl free or #9 stand in for SSR1 or would you buy that to?

Rich

I`d buy the 2.5 & leave out the 2, you don`t need it. SSR2.5 leaves the finish almost prepared for your sealant but a quick pass with SSR will make it really shine. I prefer to use SSR1 as it`s filler free.

Jim

Richt
05-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Cheers Jim.

imported_vindaloo
05-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Should be SSR1 above not SSR, sorry about that..... but I guess you realised that:)