PDA

View Full Version : Can you Mix two Products...

cenwesi
04-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Well i will ask... I have IP & FPII. I also have 3MPIIIRC and 3MPIIIMG. So can i mix the IP & 3MPIIIRC on the same pad?? I know it is writen somewhere not to do this but WHY!. They both do the same thing so why use diff pads for the same damn thing?

Jngrbrdman
04-21-2005, 01:13 PM
The thing you want to avoid mixing are pads you use waxes for and pads you use polishes for. If you are polishing the car and you need to step down or up your product, then you aren`t going to hurt anything by using the same pad. Always remember to clean out the pad as you work, of course. Before switching to a new product is is probably a good idea to spray out the current pad, but you aren`t going to do any damage by doing it. Just don`t use the same pad filled with polish to wax your car afterwards. That would be counterproductive as the cutting pad isn`t the best tool for waxing anyway.

cenwesi
04-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

The thing you want to avoid mixing are pads you use waxes for and pads you use polishes for. If you are polishing the car and you need to step down or up your product, then you aren`t going to hurt anything by using the same pad. Always remember to clean out the pad as you work, of course. Before switching to a new product is is probably a good idea to spray out the current pad, but you aren`t going to do any damage by doing it. Just don`t use the same pad filled with polish to wax your car afterwards. That would be counterproductive as the cutting pad isn`t the best tool for waxing anyway.

I got the waxing one. No way am i going to use polishing pad for waxing. Now you said clean out the pad (polishing) to use the new product (polishing). Here is where i get lost. To clean out do i use a soft toothbrush to just brush out the lumps/croms or do i wash the entire pad out completely. Isn`t too much water bad on it if i have to use it right away?

Jngrbrdman
04-21-2005, 01:25 PM
What I do is hold the pad in front of me and I blast it with the hose. If you do it that way then it doesn`t get the backing plate wet. The high pressure (I`m just using a hose and my thumb) will clean out the pad pretty well. Then I shake the water out and put it on the PC for a spin to get the rest out. After that you are all set to keep working.

They do make pad cleaners I believe. I seem to remember there being one in the Autopia store at one time. You might want to look into something like that. Since pads are expensive and I didn`t always have more than one cutting pad, it was important to be able to clean it fast and keep working, so the method I just explained works without tools and it does the trick for me.

cenwesi
04-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Ahhh....got you and thank you for that tip ;)