PDA

View Full Version : Small scratchs in windscreen

pup
04-21-2005, 05:20 AM
G`Day

my front windscreen on my car has these really small scratchs and I mean small

you can only see them when your in direct sun and no one else seems to notice or care however they are annoying the s*** outta me and I would really like to either get them out or at least hidden and filled.

Is there any way to do this?

I`m almost at the point of replacing the windscreen and the car is only a little over a month old!

I will do anything right now, including taking out all my detailing products lining them neatly around the car and start chanting to the autopia gods!

Oh btw on a happyer note this community is fantastic, I never used to car about cars in tern of swirling, waxing or how to wash properly.

Thats all changed mind you, I can cringe when I see everyone elses car with massive swirling and badly done paint work!

Pup

togwt
04-21-2005, 05:46 AM
Pommie glass cleaningâ€Â¦(but it should work for an Aussie)

Polishing Glass:

Minor imperfections can be removed with an abrasive glass polish (Autoglym Car Class Polish) be aware the some imperfections cannot be removed and you may have to replace it. Some windscreen â€Ëœglassâ€â„¢ is actually a plastic resin and will scratch easily, consult your dealer to find out what material was used for the OEM windshield.

Methodology:

·Clean glass to remove dirt, dust or road grime from surfaces (also see note 1)

·Apply clay (Magic Clay®) and lubricant solution (WooliteTM / Water 5:1) onto the glass surface (Do not apply to plastic as dulling may occur.)

·Apply a quarter (coin) size amount of Autoglym Car Glass Polishâ„¢ or Iz Einzette Glas Polish to a damp cutting / polishing foam pad (LC Orange or White) attached to a Porter Cable random orbital buffer set at speed # 4.

·Apply to half of the windshield, polishing first in an up and down motion then in a left-to-right motion and then repeat on the other side, proceed to other glass surfaces.

·Go over the glass several times in each direction, glass will polish virtually residue free.

·Wipe off any residue, and polish with a clean dry 100% cotton Micro fibre cloth.

·Inspect glass for clarity and smoothness. Repeat if necessary.

Notes:

1.Do not use on Lexan, Plexiglas or clear plastics (See Polishing Plastic).

2.Do not use abrasive glass polish on after market-tinted glass or you will probably scratch the surface

3.For deeply etched water spots` or pits (caused by sand or road stones) in the glass surface, do not attempt to polish them out, consult an automotive glass vendor as glass used on later model cars is soft and thin (this may vary by manufacturer) due to weight / cost savings by vehicle manufactures and polishing could cause glass to crack.

4.Do not use on glass with either internal antenna or defroster elements.

5.Some windshields and mirrors have a tinted plastic coating or a blue tint that will scratch or be damaged, only polish or use synthetic wool on uncoated glass.

JonM

pup
04-21-2005, 06:26 AM
TOGWT, hey, thanks for the reply, very very imformative!

The car in question is a honda accord Euro or Accura TSX (american model) do you happen to know if this windscreen can be polished or know where I can find information in relation to the glass used?

You make a few nice points that really makes me scared to touch the windscreen hahaha

I`ll contact honda before going any further and see what they say.

is there anything I can do in the mean time to reduce there apperance? like putting a glaze on or something?

pup
04-22-2005, 09:30 AM
contacted Honda Australia.

waiting on there reply!

Went to clay the windscreen but got scared not knowing for sure what the windscreen is made of exactly.

So I will continue to search for something to help reduce the appearance of the microscratches.

Anyone have any ideas?

Lowejackson
04-22-2005, 12:38 PM
I would follow Jons advice and use something like the Autoglym and clay