PDA

View Full Version : White Toyota Paint

Tundra_Jim
04-21-2005, 05:08 AM
I have heard from *somewhat* reliable sources that the white paint on my Tundra doesn`t have a clear coat. They said it was some sort of dupont or 3m single stage creation. Can anybody tell me for sure?

Either way, anyone have any tips for me for detailing? I have a little experience, but not much.

current lineup (all otc stuff, don`t laugh too hard)

Wash

clay (already did this about a month ago)

wash

duragloss PC

then Carnuba the next day.

The paint is swirl free, so I`m really just trying to keep it glossy... I`ve been reading a lot on the site, and have learned a few things from just looking around, but any more tips will be greatly apreciated.

Glossmaster
04-21-2005, 05:26 AM
Hi Tundra_Jim,

You`ll find there`s very educated "Autopians" here, who can answer your paint question. Unfortunately........I`m not one of them!! lol I`m pretty sure that nobody will be laughing at anyone who uses "otc" products. You can find some good stuff "otc". When it comes to "otc" products......I recommend the Meguiar`s products. The Meg`s #26 Paste Wax or the now hard to find Meg`s #16. Even though 95% of my arsenal is made up of "boutique" products, I`ve got plenty of room for the Meg`s #26 Paste Wax! You`ve stated that your paint is in good condition, but I still recommend a good prep. Wash-Clay-Paintwork Cleanser-Sealant-Carnauba. That should do the trick! What year is your Tundra? That may help others answer your paint/clear coat question. Last October,I bought an 05 Tacoma. Can`t go wrong with a Toyota!!

Glossmaster
04-21-2005, 05:27 AM
Silly me! I see that your Tundra is an 03!!

JaredPointer
04-21-2005, 05:40 AM
I have heard from a somewhat "reliable" source that Toyota 040 Super White paint is in fact, DuPont Imron. It has no clear coat. It was described to me in "layman`s" terms as being like an epoxy....Mix two parts together when it`s time to paint. I know this is a "simpleton" answer. Also, I have not heard from anyone involved in the manufacturing or factory painting of Toyotas, so the information may not be 100% accurate.

Glossequation
04-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Though not specific to the Tundra, I do believe some vehicles painted in white to this day are SS. Its because white has no depth.

volunteer1816
04-21-2005, 06:16 AM
blackcaraddict: You`re kidding me! I would have thought anything in this day and age was base/clear. Would you think that a `03 black Tacoma is SS, or 2-stage? I just did one yesterday and treated it like it had a clear on it.

VOL1816

JaredPointer
04-21-2005, 06:34 AM
Not everything today has a BC/CC. Some Lexus and Honda blacks are a SS type paint. the black Tacoma, however, does in fact have a BC/CC.

volunteer1816
04-21-2005, 06:36 AM
That is good to know. Thanks for the head`s up!

VOL1816

clone1008
04-21-2005, 06:47 AM
According to www.paintscratch.com, the white on your 03 Tundra is in fact a White Clearcoat. Check the site if you have questions it`s pretty informative.

imported_memnuts
04-21-2005, 06:53 AM
My "Olympic White" Escalade has BC/CC and has depth, gloss, wetness and reflectivity. Could be the paint itself, the prep , Zaino or all three. Go figure. :nixweiss

Tundra_Jim
04-21-2005, 05:36 PM
yeah, my tundra has deapth to the paint. I can see oncoming traffic at night like its driving out of my hood.

Nice to know that it has a clearcoat. I was kinda worried about that.

I put my meguiars carnuba down today and topped it off with a coat of dupont teflon spray wax. The paint looks wet and about 10 feet deep. I love it.

Question: I`ve heard that you should only clay about 2 times per year.. true of false? It did a LOT when I did it a couple months ago, but don`t know if I can do it again yet or not. I don`t really think it needs it, but I`d rather keep it that way, than let it get away...

imported_liam
04-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Yeah, you can clay as often as you like, I often spot clay every few washes. when your clay gets dirty - use it on windows or wheels! clay is great.! :D

Tundra_Jim
04-21-2005, 06:14 PM
I never thought about using my spent clay on windows... I`ve probaly been through 20 clay bars on my past vehicles, and friends vehicles....

So there`s no real risk in using it every other month or so? i`d just use it to clean the grill/hood/windshield pillars, stuff that gets pelted with road grime and bugs...

imported_memnuts
04-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Use a often as necessary. Here is one for the old-timers ;) and a trick I learned here on Autopia a few years back.

Place your hand in a plastic baggie (thin non-fancy type) and run it across the surface. If the surface feels rough thru the baggie, it is time to clay again. :wavey

Tundra_Jim
04-21-2005, 08:27 PM
ok, thanks Z28, I`ll keep that in mind.