PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washers safe?

Slowphart
04-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Aside from blasting off a piece of trim, are pressure washers safe? Can they damage clearcoat? Are there any usage tips?

imported_memnuts
04-20-2005, 06:08 PM
All coin operated wash bays are pressure washers, Just adjust your machine to a safe pressure and use proper noozle.

Slowphart
04-20-2005, 06:30 PM
I don`t have a pressure control--other than tip selection and tip-to-surface distance.

I know that coin-op bays are pressure washers, I just didn`t know if they were really safe. I mean there are plenty of automatic car washes around here that`ll destroy a clearcoat in one visit. So just because they`re common doesn`t mean they`re safe.

For one thing, I`ve heard that most of the wash bays recycle water...and I have to wonder how well their filtering system works. At least with my own washer I know I`m getting clean tap water.

ntoddalbert
04-20-2005, 07:54 PM
My only bad experience with one was when I blew a wheel weight ( the stick on type) off my rim, of course it was Sunday and I was far from home. Amazing how one little 1/4 ounce weight can make your car feel like its going to explode any second.

If your surious and being here you should be, take a plastic drinking bottle to the bay and fill it with the water they use, makes for a good pre wash inspection

if you get the right type of bottle ( I find Dassani bottles work great) Sometimes the water looks so bad you would think twice before using it.

1 Clean WS6
04-20-2005, 08:02 PM
I use a 2600psi Honda everyday all day for detailing. It`s like a rotary...use common sense and you`ll be fine. Always use the correct spray pattern, check your distance and time spent on any one spot.

Slowphart
04-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks, guys. Mostly just wanted to make sure I wasn`t making a big mistake.