PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to screw up my paint with a PC?

Pages : [1] 2

FastGT94
04-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Well, the products are on the way and I`m getting more and more nervous about taking the PC to my black car. I`ve been reading the tips and suggestions but I`m still nervous about taking a machine to my car.

What are some things to watch out for when using the PC?

Here is my choice of pads / chemicals...

1-Poorboy`s SSR 2.5

2-Meguiars Speed Glaze #80 to follow up the SSR 2 or 2.5

3-ClearKote Red Machine Glaze

4-Poorboy`s EX w/ Carnuba or EX-P

4-Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba a day later

Propel Yellow = 1

Propel Green = 2

Propel Blue = 3

Propel Gray = 4

I may start with the SSR 2.5 and the green pad just to be sure I don`t start off too aggressive. I also purchased some Vanilla Moose for when I go back after a few washes for maintenance.

Any other suggestions would be great, I`d like to remove the swirls not add them lol.

Thanks! :wavey

AMP01
04-20-2005, 10:04 AM
FastGT94,

Sounds like a good plan to me. Just remember to work each product in until it is almost gone or until it is pretty easy to remove. Start the polishes at about 4-4.5 and then turn them up to 6 to finish. The last step products, EX or EX-P, use the PC on about 4-4.5 to spread.

On a black car, the PC is a great tool to make your paint look much better than by pad alone.

Try the #80 or the SSR 2 first with a polishing pad. If that does not work, go up to the SSR2.5.

Good luck and post some pics when finished! :xyxthumbs

Cheers,

a.k.a. Patrick
04-20-2005, 10:13 AM
I may start with the SSR 2.5 and the green pad just to be sure I don`t start off too aggressive.

Thats pretty aggressive !

Im with Amp, go with 80 first, you may just stop right there, 80 is a great product, as is 2.0..........80 will leave some deepening oils which may or may not be to your liking.....

That PC will be your best investment.

sQuashed
04-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Dont worry about screwing it up with a PC. Worry about screwing it up when you wash and dry it!!

Nogrille
04-20-2005, 10:51 AM
the "only" problem I`ve seen with a PC is some marring after we used a pad that was coming away from the backing.

The results will be amazing and you won`t be dissappointed.....

http://paulsimmons.fotopic.net/c488563.html

FastGT94
04-20-2005, 10:59 AM
I will start with the #80 and the polishing (green) pad first. I take it that I should be able to clear away the remaining product (dust) and see results, and if not then I need to step it up?

FastGT94
04-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Thats pretty aggressive !

Im with Amp, go with 80 first, you may just stop right there, 80 is a great product, as is 2.0..........80 will leave some deepening oils which may or may not be to your liking.....

That PC will be your best investment.

Now you`re going to make me wish I had purchased the 2.0 as well Patrick :laugh: Or is SSR 2.0 and Megs #80 pretty much the same thing?

Eliot Ness
04-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by FastGT94

I will start with the #80 and the polishing (green) pad first. I take it that I should be able to clear away the remaining product (dust) and see results, and if not then I need to step it up?

You only work #80 until it breaks down and then wipe it off with a MF. You can tell when it has broken down because it changes color to clear (or sometimes pink).

Since it does leave behind oils that may hide some defects, you might want to do a quick wipe with a 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl rubbing alcohol (use a spray bottle). At this point you`ll decide if #80 did the job or if you need to step up.

FastGT94
04-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the tip, I`ll get a sprayer with that 50/50 mix set up.

Would a little final inspection on the MF help the product removal?

FastGT94
04-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Another question for ya. Oh the side panels, do I go up and down or front to back?

AMP01
04-21-2005, 01:18 PM
FastGT94,

Both. Alternate up and down and then back an forth. I always end up my polishing going back and forth, (from the front to the rear) .

Cheers,

FastGT94
04-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks!

Lowejackson
04-22-2005, 06:41 AM
Sometimes going over a panel twice is better than switching to a more abrasive polish.

Also make sure the pads and the paint are completly clean before using. A PC is safe but dirt and a PC is not a good idea

foxtrapper
04-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by FastGT94

What are some things to watch out for when using the PC?

Dirt. I`m really surprised no one has mentioned that. Grit in the pad (or bonnet of you go that route) cuts and scratches phenominally with a buffer of any sort.

With new pads, examine them for fibers and packing debris, it`s often there.

imported_Denzil
04-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Good luck with your first detail Fast. I sure had a fun time doing my car even though I wasn`t able to get all the scratches out.

For reference, I was using the 4* SMR from the car care trio I purchased from Exceldetail. I`m thinking of trying the 4* SMR again and if still not much improvement, I will purchase from Patrick`s newly acquired Poorboy`s product line. :xyxthumbs