PDA

View Full Version : Today is the day...Please read plan.

Pages : [1] 2

cenwesi
04-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Ok so my final order (pads,IP & FPII) is almost here and I see it is out for delivery. This will be my first time attempting this detailing. I really want to get rid of the swirls/scratches. Here is a list of things/tools/product that I have.

The car in question is a 2002 Black Z06 Corvette.

Porter Cable 7336sp

6" Flexible Velcro Backing Plate

6" Hi-Gloss Orange Power Pad

6" Hi-Gloss Red Concours Finishing Pad

6" Constant Pressure Black Finishing/Glazing Pad

6" Constant Pressure Yellow Foam Polishing Pad

Two 6" Hi-Gloss White Polishing Pads

Menzerna Intensive Polish, 16 oz. (IP)

Menzerna Final Polish II, 16 oz. (FPII)

3m rubbing compound #03900

3m Scratch & Swirl Remover 39009

Maguire Scratch X

Micro fibers â€â€œ A LOT

Terry Towels â€â€œ A LOT

hand Pads â€â€œ About 5

Wax â€â€œ NXT,zymoil and Adams Polishing stuff... http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/sh...ail.cfm?id=1273

Soup & Claybar - about 3 1/2.

Detailing - Quick detail and some with the Adams polisher kit.

So here is how I plan on tackling this issue:

The Steps:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I will wash and clay the car and then dry it.

2) I will start with a Orange pad and the IP. Now if this doesn`t get rid of the - (speed @4->5)

swirl/scratches, then I will switch over to the yellow pad.

3) White pad and FPII - (speed @4->5)

4) Black with the Adams polisher butter wax (speed @3)

5) Hand wipe off with Micro fiber

So anyone think I am doing it the wrong way? I have been reading alot about detailing and I hope I got it all down.

BTW, I will only work on a small section, like a 2`x2` section and once I am satisfied, I will tape off trims and stuff and do the full car. Please feel free to re-arrange the order. Keep in mind that the IP & FPII will be the main product though if someone can convince me to use the 3m stuff first and then proceed to the IP stuff...

Thanks.

Eliot Ness
04-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by cenwesi

......So here is how I plan on tackling this issue:

The Steps:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I will wash and clay the car and then dry it.

2) I will start with a Orange pad and the IP. Now if this doesn`t get rid of the - (speed @4->5)

swirl/scratches, then I will switch over to the yellow pad.

3) White pad and FPII - (speed @4->5)

4) Black with the Adams polisher butter wax (speed @3)

5) Hand wipe off with Micro fiber........

If your swirls/defects aren`t real severe you may want to start out with IP on the white (polish) pad and then move to the orange/yellow if needed after 2 or 3 applications.

I don`t use Menzerna polishes, but I have found when using something similar on an aggressive pad (yellow), you might need to follow-up with IP on a white pad to get rid of some hazing. Then you can hit it with the FPII. I also like to polish at speed 5-6, but use what seems to work best for you.

You`ll love the PC, just take your time, be patient, and make sure you work the polish long enough to break it down. Good luck!

sQuashed
04-20-2005, 09:54 AM
If I were you......

Swap your 3M choices to the Perfect-it III RC(05933) and MG(05937). MUCH more user friendly than the menzerna IMHO. The 3M swirl remover you have listed contains fillers. I dont see you ever reaching for the Scratch X either.. Well at least I dont reach for it, So if you want to save some money I could send it to you. I also have the IP that is collecting dust too. It was the 1st polish I tried when I bought my PC and it just didnt do it for me. Here`s a link to the now discontinued 3M stuff Thanks to Accumulator....Perfect it III Goodies (http://www.handsontools.com/store-categories-Compounds-Polish-Wax_423.html)

Good luck and have fun.

P.S. I just noticed the color of Corvette you have.. DO try the Souveran Paste wax on your properly prepped Black Car.. :xyxthumbs

cenwesi
04-20-2005, 09:56 AM
how do i know how severe or no severe it is? I mean when i look at it i see nothing but under bright light they all come alive. I will keep your suggesting in mind and will re-write the whole thing once i get more input from you guys

Eliot Ness
04-20-2005, 10:01 AM

how do i know how severe or no severe it is? I mean when i look at it i see nothing but under bright light they all come alive. I will keep your suggesting in mind and will re-write the whole thing once i get more input from you guys

That is something only time and experience will teach you, but when in doubt..... always start with the least aggressive polish/pad combo and then step up if needed.

Odin Mz3
04-20-2005, 10:03 AM

Experience is the key. Start from the less aggressive then go step by step to the more aggressive. then you will see how each product act on each defect.

Odin Mz3
04-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Well I guess me an Eliot Ness wrote it in the same time :LOLOL

cenwesi
04-20-2005, 10:06 AM
lol... no kidding, i thought it was a double post until i saw diff names.

sQuashed
04-20-2005, 10:15 AM
To find out the severity, make a few passes with the polishing pad and your swirl removing polish. If you are making no progress then a more cut is needed. When it comes to polishing with the PC, mine only has 2 speeds. 4 to spread, 6 to remove swirls. Do not be afraid to add pressure to the pc and crank it up.

cenwesi
04-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Any more suggestion guys? and what is this Souveran Paste wax

Accumulator
04-20-2005, 11:41 AM
cenwesi- The paint on my `99 C5 was pretty hard, so I dunno if you`re gonna get perfect results with the IP/FP combo, at least without a lot of work. Allocate a lot of time, this can be slow process. You`ll know how severe your situation is after you`ve worked the initial area for a while.

You have to be able to see what you`re dealing with, so work under unforgiving lighting that shows what`s really happening.

I don`t like the 3M SMR (too many fillers) and the 03900 isn`t one of their products that I use, so I can`t be of much help there.

Just a thought- you *might* end up wanting to use that SMR if you can`t get the marring out to your satisfaction. It might be worth a try if you find you`re spending a lot of time without getting the results you`re after. Heh heh, hope that doesn`t sound too pessimistic or anything...

cenwesi
04-20-2005, 11:46 AM
I think i am ready. Even hunting for these 3m products based on a chart i found on the web. Seems 3m:

3M05933 - 3M Perfect-Itâ„¢ III Rubbing Compound, Quart

3M05937 - 3M Perfect-Itâ„¢ III Machine Glaze, Quart

rate higher than the IP/FPII

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54501

sQuashed
04-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Cenwesi, with those 3M products, I was just going on "my" experience with these products. They worked great on my Black SS Camaro(alot better than the IP/FP). Considering you will have basically the same paint, you should do fine with them.

cenwesi
04-20-2005, 12:15 PM
omg...found the 3m local... for the

3M05933 - 3M Perfect-Itâ„¢ III Rubbing Compound, Quart - the want $28.50

3M05937 - 3M Perfect-Itâ„¢ III Machine Glaze, Quart - $39.00

I wonder if i can return the IP/FPII if this works.

Accumulator
04-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Might want to try the FPII as a final polish (oops, pun :o ) after using the MG.

My usual progression with the 3m stuff:

05933/cutting pad until serious marring is gone

05933/polishing pad until most micromarring (from above) is gone

05937/polishing pad until *all* micromarring is gone and finish is as good as you want it.

At that point you might see if the FPII adds anything.