PDA

View Full Version : magic marker on my black snake?!

sparkysguy
04-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi guys, I`m new here and need some assistance please. First I wish to thank "wytstang" from stangnet.com for turning me on to you folks!

I recently noticed what appears to be (or what I think may be) several black magic marker "marks" (covering scratches, I think) on my black snake. Don`t ask, I have no idea what kind of moron would do this. My cobra is a recent purchase and wasn`t readily noticable until certain light conditions.

Anyway, I was able to rub out a couple marks with a fairly light rubbing from a wet lint-free paper towel, but the rest need something else. I`m told I may need a finish restorer, rubbing compound..or maybe denatured alcohol. Please advise me what I should do/use. Thanks!

:wavey

Eliot Ness
04-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Welcome to Autopia!

I would think a "cleaner wax", a paint cleaner like Klasse AIO, or ClearKote`s Vanilla Moose (very light abrasives) would take care of it.

If not, here is a thread with some other suggestions:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45834&highlight=sharpie

When you get them removed you might have more visible scratches that will require some light touch-up paint. I couldn`t think of any other reason to use a marker on black paint :nixweiss

FastGT94
04-20-2005, 09:31 AM
The marker comes off fairly easily, don`t worry about it. I`ve actually used the same technique before as a quick touch up before a show. If done right, you won`t even notice it.

I`ve also used black shoe polish on heavier scratches in the past. It usually hides the scratch well for a few days. lol

wytstang
04-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Glad you took my advice to ask these guys they really know the stuff hands down. That`s a great link Eliot Ness also sparkysguy if you order any products from www.autopia-carcare.com you can use the coupon code autopia and get 10% off....Good luck.

EDIT:fixed the link

sparkysguy
04-20-2005, 03:33 PM
wystang..appreciate your assistance amigo!

Elliot & FastGT ...¡Gracias tanto!

seracis
04-20-2005, 03:40 PM
www.autopia-carcar.com

should be www.autopia-carcare.com

sparkysguy
04-20-2005, 04:11 PM
ok guys, thanks..the alcohol removed the marker but now I have "dull-appearance" areas where I lightly rubbed. The car needs a washing but what should I use to buff out the dull areas? polish/compound??

fyi...the car was cleaned / detailed prior to sale (it`s pretty shiny so I don`t believe the entire car needs waxing, etc.) and I think the morons attempted to cover over the scratches....even a GD spot where the paint is chipped! Looks like I need touch-up paint as well!

wytstang
04-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Well I just learned that autozone has an awesome clearance on Meg`s #26 being sold for 0.99 that`s right 0.99 is a great wax. Pick up a few cans 5+ for under $8 just can`t beat it. I would just spot wax it for now then when your ready give it a full detail.