PDA

View Full Version : Swirl question

TDMAN
12-10-2004, 12:11 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I did my Passat. It had a lot of swirls on the hood that I think was caused by a bad detailing job before I took possesion of the car. So I decided to try and get rid of them. I used Hi temp Heavy cut with an Orange pad at 5 then bumped it up to 6. I then used Hi Temp Light cut to polish followed by AIO and then UPP. It came out extremely well, and all the swirls were gone. I was very happy. Well, just the other day, I was looking at the hood and I`ll be damned, but the swirls were visible again! Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? I swear they were gone when I finished. Now they are back and I`m frustrated and confused. Any thoughts... :dunno

kimwallace
12-10-2004, 12:33 PM
I do not know anything about the Hi Temp products, but some times instead of removing swirls, oils in the polishes will fill the swirls making them almost invisible. When the oils leave the finish through washing, etc ... the swirls show up again.
When trying for a swirl free finish I will polish under 1000 watt halogen lights ... these lights enable you to see things that aren`t noticable under normal lighting.

brwill2004
12-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Levelers like Heavy Cut should be used with a rotary polisher. The heat produced by the rotary makes the leveler so much more effective. Heavy Cut uses a chemical abrasive. I think what happened is that you filled the scatches instead of removing them. Try using a mechanical abrasive polish with your PC to remove the scratches. The Menzerna line uses mechanical abrasives.