PDA

View Full Version : Holograms/Marring?

Yaemish
04-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Last week I hit my dark blue car pretty hard with SSR 2.5 and a yellow pad twice at 5x and 6x then I followed it up with SSR1 with a green pad at 5. I am noticing in some areas under certain lighting it looks a little hazy but still reflective. What do I have to do to fix this?

jetskie
04-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Try going over the whole car again with SSR1 and the green pad. If that don`t work then you need to hit it with SSR2.5 with a green pad then do it again with SSR1 with a green pad.

Eliot Ness
04-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Your question was already answered by Scott P in the other thread you started:

"SSR2.5 and a cutting pad may leave hazing. Try following that with SSR 2.5 and a polishing pad before you do the SSR1."

Yaemish
04-19-2005, 01:04 PM
What one is the polishing pad? Black? How fast should the machine be spinning?

jetskie
04-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Green and speed 4-5.

Yaemish
04-20-2005, 01:01 PM
I just did half a pannel with the Blue Propel polishing pad, SSR2.5 and the speed at 5. It made short work of the hazing and you can see a major difference beteween the polished part and the part with the hazing. Is it going to be necessary to use SSR 1 now?

Eliot Ness
04-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Yaemish

I just did half a pannel with the Blue Propel polishing pad, SSR2.5 and the speed at 5. It made short work of the hazing and you can see a major difference beteween the polished part and the part with the hazing. Is it going to be necessary to use SSR 1 now?

Glad that worked for you! You can try 1/2 of the section you just did with SSR1, then pull it out in the sun and see if it makes enough of a difference to use it on the rest of the car.

SSR2.5 when worked properly with the right pad can give you a finish ready for your LSP, you just need to decide if that is good enough for *you*.

You`ve spent a lot of time on this detail but you`ve also learned a lot about product/pad selection. Pretty soon you`ll be able to step back and admire all your hard work. Post some pics when you`re finished!

Yaemish
04-21-2005, 04:24 PM
I hate to ask more questions, but like you said this has been a learning process. Becuase I work all day I haven`t really been able to get the car in good lighting while I work on it.

I hit the back end with the 2.5 and a polishing pad set to 5. While the really noticable hazing left, there is still some foggyness when looked at in the right light. I can also almost see the pattern that my pad took as far as where some passes edges were.

I of course sealed it up with Z5 becuase I don`t like not having my paint protected. I should have some time saturday to mess around again. How fast should my SSR2.5xPolishing Pad pass bed? Should they overlap?

I was thinking about hitting it with the Yellow 1 more time to make sure that I have all the swirls out and then doing the polishing pad. Am I wearing my paint down too much?

I appreciate all the help

benpocock
04-21-2005, 05:37 PM
I tried SSR2.5 with a polishing pad today on a black 645 and it left some hazing. I followed up with SRP but some of the hazing is still there so will try SSR1 when I get a chance to sort it out.

Ben

jetskie
04-22-2005, 01:04 PM
You might have 2 problems Yaemish.

1. You either are working too large of an area or not using enough product as it sounds like you are getting maring from the pad. See if there is not enough product or when you spread it thin then the pad gets dry and cause some marring. Use 2X2 area and use 2 lines of polish about 8 inches long. Spread it before turning on the machine. Work the product in until it looks transparent then do one quick padd and wipe. Don`t work it in until it starts to dry.

2. You are working on a dark color car and I know 2.5 can go staright to wax, but its hard on a dark color car. I suggest doing a final polish with SSR1 or any other final polish.

If you`re worried about thinning the paint then just do the SSR1 and see if the look is satisfactory. IMO I don`t think you are thinning the paint too much since the PC does not remove that much paint.