PDA

View Full Version : Detailing, need help in the right direction

cudaman
04-18-2005, 09:21 PM
I have a Black 2001 Dodge Dakota.

I am using all Meguiar`s products as listed.

gold class wash

cleaner wax

body scrub cleaner

swirl remover #2

prep and swirl reducer

scratch X

gold class liquid wax

nxt teck wax

quick detailer

vinyl & rubber protectant

hot rims all wheel cleaner

foam applicators

terry cloth towels

PC with pads

Looking for any and all comments on the products.

what am I missing, what should I discard and what to add.

I have been reading a lot of the material and threads and I think

I have od`ed on info.

What I am reading so far all I can say is

:bow to this board.

Thanks in advance

kleraudio
05-23-2005, 06:46 PM
hey cudaman,

Welcome to Autopia :xyxthumbs

I have an `04 silver dakota, I love her to death!

Anyways, you have some good products in your lineup. I see you have a PC and alot of swirl removing products which leads me to believe you have lots of swirls. :nixweiss

You could go with something like #80 or #83 from meguiars. They work well with the PC.

You should definitely get some clay to remove all the contaminants before you start polishing. Heres what I do when I`m doing a full Polish/Glaze/Wax job (I will include your products to make it easier for you)

Wash/Rinse tires, wheels, wheel wells

Wash/Rinse/Wash/Rinse/Dry car

Clay Bar w/ QD for lube (Megs Quik Clay)

Polish/Clean (Megs #83, or #80, maybe #9, depending on how abrasive you want, #9 is not very abrasive)

Glaze (I like #5)

Wax (I really like #26)

Then the usual other stuff:

Dress tires

Polish, Wax rims

Windows

Trim

Also, you dont have to clay (or polish for that matter) every time you want to add a layer of wax. A clay once or twice a year will be sufficient provided you wash your car of all its contaminents on a weekly basis (minimum).

I like to use a glaze like #5 before i put on #26. It gives the paint that extra "wet" look.

As far as your products go, like i said above (I assume you want to stick w/ Meguiars)

ADD:

Quik Clay

A machine polish (9,80,83, etc...

A Glaze (3,5,7, etc....)

A good Wax (you should try #26 if you want carnauba, NXT for more of a sealant, your gold class wax is good too)

Microfiber Applicators (I just started using these and i love them! products do not build up in them like the foam applicators)

I wouldnt discard anything you have. Everything in your list will come in handy sooner or later. For your car or someone else`s.

Hope that helped, any other questions, just shoot.

Jim