PDA

View Full Version : Marks in clear after 3M swirl remover.

Impala SS
04-18-2005, 05:26 PM
I have this extreme cloudy look in various body panels on my Impala from objects flying into to on windy night. Finding the damage months ago was not fun. Recently It has been nice out and I have some time, so It`s an ideal cleaning time.

I purchased some 3M swirl remover and tried it out by hand in the damaged spots such as the front of the hood and both front and rear doors on the left side.

I did a good job removing white paint from one of the objects that flew into it and removing some of the cloudy look and scratches on the hood. Baically I think something was rubbing against the hood, which made the clear look kind of cloudy. You only notice it when you are maybe 2 feet away.

On the hood however I ran into some problems. Every path I took with the towel, there seems to be a mark, circular motion marks. I was not using alot of the product and was applying a decent amount of pressure. Eeek maybe that did it.

Could this be fixed? Im thinking maybe with some wax the marks can be hid. I am afraid to go over it again in fear of messing up the hood even more.

Thanks.

Im just having one of those days...

---

On a postive note, With alot of rubbing the painted pin stripe comes off. :D I removed like a 1 inch spot already, I still have the whole rest of the car to do.

trueblueblood
04-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Try using more product next time, that might help. I wouldn`t worry about 3M SMR doing any damge by hand it will take "alot":)

And who needs pinstripes;) !

Accumulator
04-19-2005, 09:55 AM
95 Impala SS- You might want to try a more aggressive product that does more correction than hiding (the 3M SMR has a lot of fillers). Something like Meg`s #80 might be a good idea. Don`t expect any wax or other LSP (Last Step Product) to hide anything, get things looking right before that step.

If you`re using cotton towels, that could be another problem. I`d apply the products with a foam or MF applicator/pad and I`d definitely remove the products with MF. Shouldn`t be any marks from the path of the towel, so I think you need softer towels. And be sure to work the product long enough (though this shouldn`t be an issue with the 3M SMR).

Oh, and FWIW I`m a fellow B-body enthusiast. Haven`t detailed my DGGM `95 9C1 yet though, it`s still in the mechanical-build stages. And with 113K on the clock, its paint isn`t the greatest :o