PDA

View Full Version : Former car cleaner wants to be a detailer

5toClean
04-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Hello Everyone!! I`ve been reading through the site and the Guide to Detailing book for the past two weeks and have found that the information and experience here is a bit overwhelming. I`ve been cleaning my own cars for over 30 years, and I do say cleaning because I feel that I am no longer worthy to use the expression "Detailing" to describe how I have been cleaning my cars.

There are a couple of things that have confused me though and I am hoping that someone will take pity and help me out. After about of week of reading I was all set to hang up my Rotary and purchase a new PC with pads and such. Then I read a few posts about Zaino and after reading through their website found that they discourage the use of machines, or anything microfiber. I was all set to then purchase the gamut of Zaino products and a bunch of new white cotton towels. But then I read some more about Sonus and now I am not sure what to do.

The two vehicles that I most concerned about are the Monte Carlo and the Pick UP. I finished up a 3 year resto on the monte last year which included a complete repaint with 2004 Corvette Bright White in a 2 stage paint with a clearcoat.

The pick up has an Indigo Blue with Pearl Yellow and Green flames that was done almost 10 years ago but the paint is still in good condition.

Can anyone offer me advice about how I should handle these two Summer drivers? Should I opt for a PC, or stick with Zaino?

I`m so confused :confused:

If you would like a look at the cars you can view them here SIlverado (http://www.cardomain.com/id/flamin94) and Monte Carlo SS (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/808324/2)

Sorry for the long 1st post but I would like to get things on order so that I can start my road to Detailing redemption this weekend.

MongooseGA
04-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Why would Zaino discourage the use of microfiber or machines? Maybe just because they don`t sell either?

I`d pick up a PC, and a lot of microfiber products. If you want to use Zaino as your last step products, (after proper prep, of course) that`s fine.

Asonyexec
04-18-2005, 04:17 PM
I wouldn`t worry about it too much. What you`re going to find on here is that just about everyone has tried practically every product out there and it`s after the experimenting that you conclude which product is best for you with the equipment, car and experience you have. Take a look at the posts where some of the guys have taken pictures of their arsenal - it`s mind blowing all the products you see. And don`t be discourged because experimenting is the fun part.

Personally I`ve experimented with MEGs, 3M, Sonus, P21s and AIO stuff - I have yet to venture into ZAINO, vanilla moose, or pinnacle territory.

So if you`re married open a secret account from which to buy your products and test out a few bottles of stuff here & there. If you`re single, take out a small signature loan to finance your soon to be new addiction. Oh and buy lots of clear plastic containers to store all your stuff in. Don`t worry, they`ll fill up fast.

Good luck :xyxthumbs

FN New Guy
04-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Welcome 5toClean! I`ve been using Zaino for a year. I first used the cotton towels as mentioned by Sal Zaino. Now I use Micro Fiber and have no problems, it may even work better. As far as not using machines, do you mean to apply Zaino? I always apply and remove it by hand, not sure you would want to use a machine for anything but defect removal.

By the way, you have some nice cars.

Scottwax
04-18-2005, 06:14 PM
I think using a machine to apply Zaino would waste a lot of product so I think that would be why Sal would discourage using a machine. I tried Z2 a few months back and microfiber towels work just fine with it.

For your polishing steps, I`d definitely recommending using a PC, Cyclo or rotary. If you use polishes with oils in them (like Meguiars 80 series products) you will have to wash the car to remove the oils prior to using Zaino.