PDA

View Full Version : Acetone to increase fuel MPG?

kpounds
04-18-2005, 02:21 PM
I ran across some links this afternoon and many people are saying they`ve used Acetone as a fuel supplement to increase their MPG and claim from 8-25% increases. Has anyone here tried Acetone? I`m think of heading up to the hardware/drug store today to give it a try. Suggested use is 2oz per 10 gallons of fuel, then modify up or down to find the right amount for the vehicle.

1) Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

2) Acetone as a Fuel Additive

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

3) Acetone as a Mileage additive

http://www.lubedev.com/articles/additive.htm

4) Acetone FAQ: http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_Additive:FAQ#Q._What_do_I_need.3 F

5) Comment from msg board: http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic6172-0-asc-15.html

"I got 13.6 mpg on that tank (on 87 octane) compared to my best of 11.5 with 89 octane. The previous owner never got better than 10 with 93 octane fuel. His driving style may come into question here...So, I saw a (13.6/11.5) an 18% increase in fuel mileage, at a minimum.

6) Tips for Fuel Economy

http://www.lubedev.com/articles/tips.htm

imported_Intel486
04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Was going to say it would kind of be expensive to be pouring acetone in but only 2oz per 10 gallons... Kind of a low concentration.

I don`t have time to look into anything right now but I will... Not sure what it`s doing since acetone is just C3H6O (CH3COCH3) and gasoline is just a whole bunch of carbon chains. I don`t think it`ll harm any of your fuel system or engine putting it in your gas but I`d like to see if the mpg increases... My speedo is way off right now so I need that fixed before I could test this.

kpounds
04-18-2005, 08:20 PM
I went by Autozone today and picked up some. They carry 32oz bottle for $4.99 and 1 Gal (128 oz) for $8.99. Also noticed there`s a Yahoo discussion group at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pes_acetone/

topnotchtouch
04-18-2005, 10:25 PM
There were also several threads on this over at the forums on www.bobistheoilguy.com

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003059#000000

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003095#000000

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003127

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003128

Y`all let me know how it goes, don`t think I will be trying it :p

imported_Larry A
04-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Acetone is old school and was used in the 50s to spike up gasoline, in fact some oil companys put it in their gas at the refinery, although a very small amont. I just wonder how acetone reacts with all the seals in a modern fuel injection system. If I would try it I would use it on a beater car first.

kpounds
04-22-2005, 05:38 AM
Here`s a few more links & discussions about Acetone. I`m running it in my own truck (2oz-10gals) and it feels like its running stronger and smoother (subjective I know), no mpg test yet though.

Improvement from 19 to 22mpg

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/19897-ford-f150-more-on-acetone.html

Acetone additive-mpg increase?

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63390&postdays=0&po... or http://snipurl.com/e4ml

Quote from http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131634&page=1&pp=20

"LOL, this is old news to me as I have been using acetone in my vehicles for years, and yes, it really does work. I get anywhere from 3 to 5 MPG better then if I do not use it. I have never had any problems with my vehicles. The proper mix for my X is 2 oz." I noticed a few people using only 1 oz per 10 gallons gas. Correct amount is 2-3 oz per 10 gal.

Safety concerns: "Okay, the ones preaching that it will destroy your seals are dead wrong. If you have ever replaced fuel lines you know that they are made to withstand chemicals and solevents. They have to. Gas will also desolve some types of plastic."

"OhThankGod someone else understands this. Newer cars (most after 1992, ALL after 1996) have a fuel system designed to withstand most chemicals, including (but not limited to) acetone, toulene, methanol, alcohol, and Barbasol. Feel free to add any combination to your gas tank to see the results."

From trentongasprices.com - http://snipurl.com/e4q8

"When I started this testing back in July of 2004, I started with 5-6 ounces per tank up of approx, 14-15gallons. I was using it mostly as a cleaning agent for my injectors becuase they had a bad tolerance for the variances in chicago`s fuel. Over the period of 1/2 the tank the cylinder 1`s fuel injector stopped `````ing all together.

I had originally pulled it and cleaned it off a few months ago. I noticed alot of deposites on the head of the injector, but contact cleaner was able to help.

By winter, I was only using 3 or 4 ounces of acetone to make up for the crappy winter blend. On that amount I was getting on average city driving 22mpg - 24mpg, where as I was previously getting 14mpg - 16mpg. I have always used either Mobile or Amoco, since I bought the car, becuase even back then I had problems when I tried it with clark, or citgo.

Before this experiment I was putting in 93 everytime, now I do better with 87, the cost savings right there is great $3 saved alone in just switching to 87. Now that the summer blend has been out for a few weeks here, I am noticing a slightly better gain, but it`s not much becuase I am already burning it as efficient as possible. With the summer blend I use 2-3 ounces per fillup as long as I put in a minimum of 10 gallons.

Lastly, I saw a post on here where someone said acetone is related to acetylene. Yes its related, but notice the big differences on the two msds sheets of the two chemical properties, like boil point, flash point, molecular weight, Acetylene structure is C2H2, where as Acetone is CH3COCH3, so with that said, sure they are similar.

Its a false statement to say they are the same. Thats like saying Acetone is an organic chemical just like hydrogen, and we all know what happened to the Hindenburg. Think about what you are saying before you post, there are other people who don`t understand chemistry and probably don`t want to, and when comments are said before proper thought processes, you ruin the ideas with illegitimate reasoning."

imported_UnsanePyro
04-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by kpounds

"I got 13.6 mpg on that tank (on 87 octane) compared to my best of 11.5 with 89 octane. The previous owner never got better than 10 with 93 octane fuel. His driving style may come into question here...So, I saw a (13.6/11.5) an 18% increase in fuel mileage, at a minimum.

Don`t some cars actually get worse milage with higher octanes because they are designed for lower octanes?

I won`t be dumping any in my tank. If it was such an easy 15% increase in efficiance, wouldn`t it already come in our fuel? Or wouldn`t a company be marketing the hell out of it, selling it in convieniant bottles?

I also just looked at that link posted (http://www.lubedev.com/articles/tips.htm) and I can`t believe people would source it/follow it. I wouldn`t trust someone telling me I can improve my MPG and milage at the same time.

thinksnow
05-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Don`t know if this will help, but I thought I`d add a little something:

Dan:

I have never seen anything that would suggest that Acetone would help

anything. I have seen some very compelling data that suggest it could do

serious damage to various plastic and certain metal parts in the fuel

system. Other than that I don`t have any information and CERTAINLY have not

and WOULD NOT put it in any of my cars to test it.

Sincerely,

Pat Goss

MotorWeek

News Channel 8

WJFK Radio

Washington Post

For Vettes Only

Goss` Garage

9421 Smith Avenue

Lanham-Seabrook, MD 20706-4045

301-577-9200

PatGoss@Goss-Garage.com

www.goss-garage.com

----- Original Message -----

To: <patgoss@goss-garage.com>

Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 10:46 PM

Subject: Acetone for Fuel?

> Mr. Goss,

>

> You`ve gotten this question before (I`m a mind-reader). Have you seen

> anything compelling regarding a small mixture of acetone in one`s fuel?

> According to the omni-accurate internet forums, doing so will cause your

> fuel to burn more efficiently.

>

> I suppose my question is: would doing so cause my car any damage? It`s an

> `88 Accord LXi (efi). I wouldn`t mind doing my own evaluation, but if any

> harm could come to my old girl at all I will resist. I`m a grad student,

> so new cars aren`t my bag, baby.

>

> Thank you in advance,

>

> Dan Barnhart

> Williamsburg, VA.

kpounds
05-04-2005, 08:55 AM
I appreciate that but I`ve seen posts where people have said they`ve been using Acetone for years with no bad effects. Also its used it in very small amounts--2 oz per 10 gallons (2oz-1280 ozs) so its hard to see how that small concentration would do damage. What I did hear was its good to skip every 3-4th tankful and just use regular gas. But it definitely is a use at your own risk thing.

SKP

Originally posted by thinksnow

Don`t know if this will help, but I thought I`d add a little something:

Dan:

I have never seen anything that would suggest that Acetone would help

anything. I have seen some very compelling data that suggest it could do

serious damage to various plastic and certain metal parts in the fuel

system. Other than that I don`t have any information and CERTAINLY have not

and WOULD NOT put it in any of my cars to test it.

Sincerely,

Pat Goss

MotorWeek

News Channel 8

WJFK Radio

Washington Post

For Vettes Only

Goss` Garage

9421 Smith Avenue

Lanham-Seabrook, MD 20706-4045

301-577-9200

PatGoss@Goss-Garage.com

www.goss-garage.com

----- Original Message -----

To: <patgoss@goss-garage.com>

Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 10:46 PM

Subject: Acetone for Fuel?

> Mr. Goss,

>

> You`ve gotten this question before (I`m a mind-reader). Have you seen

> anything compelling regarding a small mixture of acetone in one`s fuel?

> According to the omni-accurate internet forums, doing so will cause your

> fuel to burn more efficiently.

>

> I suppose my question is: would doing so cause my car any damage? It`s an

> `88 Accord LXi (efi). I wouldn`t mind doing my own evaluation, but if any

> harm could come to my old girl at all I will resist. I`m a grad student,

> so new cars aren`t my bag, baby.

>

> Thank you in advance,

>

> Dan Barnhart

> Williamsburg, VA.

kpounds
05-04-2005, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UnsanePyro

[B]Don`t some cars actually get worse milage with higher octanes because they are designed for lower octanes?

Acetone doesnt increase the octane, it improves the efficiency of the burning of the fuel.

[QUOTE] I won`t be dumping any in my tank. If it was such an easy 15% increase in efficiance, wouldn`t it already come in our fuel? Or wouldn`t a company be marketing the hell out of it, selling it in convieniant bottles?

Because if it is an increase of 15% MPG, you can bet your bottom dollar the oil companes will NEVER, EVER add it to their fuel. Why would they and automatically decrease their sales 15%? God Bless Exxon/Mobil and their 26 BILLION dollar profit in 2004 (not revenues...cold cash PROFITS) highest ever for any American corporation. And all the other oil companies are reporting the same, highest ever profits.

I have a letter from a man who`s been testing fuel supplements for over 50 years and I might post it here. He posted it for public knowledge. It somewhat shocked me but not really about the depths BIG OIL will take to protect their turf. When you have $15-25 Billion a year with apparently no regulations or rules, you can do a few things to make things go in your direction.

kpounds
05-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Here`s the letter:

Hello Group, --> I also posted this in the egaspower group<--

Here is in an email a friend of mine in Minnesota sent me on 4-24-2005.

He has gone to Federal court testifying either for or against several different fuel saving device or additive companies over the past 30 years or so. I have been trying to reach him by phone for the past week but he is a very busy man. He told me a few weeks ago that by now, he should have his 1994 Geo Metro up to 100 mpg or more after he gets an RIW installed on it and adjusted out. I omitted his name because I did not ask him if I could post this, I`m sure he would say it is OK but out of respect and his privacy I still left it out. But anyway, here is his most recent email...

Happy Testing,

Robert

[BEGIN POST]

Hello All!

-

Have you been wondering why I haven`t ever converted a vehicle to use 65 proof ethanol (2/3 water and 1/3 ethanol)? I worked with Herb Hansen, a wealthy inventor from 1981 to 1989 to convert two vehicles to run on 65 proof ethanol. At a time very convenient for the Oil Cartel, Herb had a fatal stroke. Two months later, the Secret Service searched my office and home with a search warrant. They probably copied my files about our ethanol project. The next day, I went to the Federal Court House to see what the probable cause was for issuing the search warrant. A clerk in the records dept. told me that that file was sealed by the judge for "reasons of National Security"

-

In 1996, I got a demonstration of a concept that hydrolized water efficiently. The inventor, Stan Meyer, had driven a VW Dune Buggy from New York City to Los Angeles on 21 gallons of water. In 1999, Stan got a $50 million grant from his county in Ohio to manufacture the computer chip necessary for his idea and also to go into production. Three days later he was dead and his body was cremated immediately. He told his twin brother that he had been poisoned just before he died.

-

I knew personally three other people who had fatal "accidents" a couple of weeks after refusing large cash payments for the patents of their fuel saving ideas.

-

Here is the recent story of Al Caggiano who has a concept that gets 113 to 138 mpg. I reviewed his detailed plans and came to the conclusion that it is quite probable that they would work as he said. Here is what happened to him just after I had examined his plans:

-

www.get113to138mpg.com/CurrantFull%20Story.htm

-

You can now get his plans for FREE on the above website.

-

Here are some simple ideas on saving fuel:

-

www.smartgas.net

-

When you try one or more of these ideas, please contact me. I have some other ideas that may be helpful.

-

-

(Name omitted because I did not confer with him prior to posting this.)

Mechanical Engineer BME 1961 U of MN

Fuel Saving and Pollution Control Expert

[END POST]

--

All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed;

Second, it is violently opposed; and

Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Lemonxxs
05-04-2005, 10:08 AM
question is do you save $$$

Gas costs so much per gallon you get so much MPG...

So...when if ya add acetone...and say your mpg goes up...

Does this increase in MPG offset the added costs?

Say gas is $2.5/gal

Acetone is $10/gal

on straight gas you get 15 mpg

So cost per mile is 2.5/15 = .1667 $/mile

on a 640:1 ratio = 2 oz per 10 gals...mpg goes to 16mpg

Cost per gallon = (2.5*640 + 10)/641 = 2.51

Cost per mile = 2.51/16 = .157 $/mile

For a savings per mile of .0097 $/mile

Say you drive 20000 miles per year

With gas that is 1333.33 gallons or 3333.33 dollars (assmue gas price is costant)

With Acetone mix that is 1250 gallons or $3137.50

Total savings would be $195.83 (there is some error for rounding numbers here)

Now...what if this Acetone damaged something? And a part had to be replaced....I am sure the repair would cost more then $200...

If people want to save $$...then buy an economy car.....

Car is less expensive, uses less fuel and more then likely insurance and maintenance costs are less.....

If they want to save the world by using less Gasoline....then buy a Hybrid....BUTTTTT...buying hybrid will cause electric companies to use more fuel...(coal, Natural Gas, Nuclear etc)

Energy is Energy...and Gasoline is a low cost fuel for energy....

max_man_94_01
05-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Guess My Name

question is do you save $$$

Gas costs so much per gallon you get so much MPG...

So...when if ya add acetone...and say your mpg goes up...

Does this increase in MPG offset the added costs?

Say gas is $2.5/gal

Acetone is $10/gal

on straight gas you get 15 mpg

So cost per mile is 2.5/15 = .1667 $/mile

on a 640:1 ratio = 2 oz per 10 gals...mpg goes to 16mpg

Cost per gallon = (2.5*640 + 10)/641 = 2.51

Cost per mile = 2.51/16 = .157 $/mile

For a savings per mile of .0097 $/mile

Say you drive 20000 miles per year

With gas that is 1333.33 gallons or 3333.33 dollars (assmue gas price is costant)

With Acetone mix that is 1250 gallons or $3137.50

Total savings would be $195.83 (there is some error for rounding numbers here)

Now...what if this Acetone damaged something? And a part had to be replaced....I am sure the repair would cost more then $200...

If people want to save $$...then buy an economy car.....

Car is less expensive, uses less fuel and more then likely insurance and maintenance costs are less.....

If they want to save the world by using less Gasoline....then buy a Hybrid....BUTTTTT...buying hybrid will cause electric companies to use more fuel...(coal, Natural Gas, Nuclear etc)

Energy is Energy...and Gasoline is a low cost fuel for energy....

I totally agree....the dollars saved is pretty irrelevant compared to what might happen to your car....this topic caught my eye since we are all experiencing high fuel costs nationwide. With fuel prices, topics like these would catch everyones attention. However, I am not ready to add this to my car at this time.

One thing I would need clarification. Not to sound like a smart a##, but what do you mean by "buying hybrid will cause electric companies to use more fuel...(coal, Natural Gas, Nuclear etc)"?

The cells are charged from with-in the car. Current hybrids are gas/electric. No need to plug them into a wall outlet...

Lemonxxs
05-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by max_man_94_01

IOne thing I would need clarification. Not to sound like a smart a##, but what do you mean by "buying hybrid will cause electric companies to use more fuel...(coal, Natural Gas, Nuclear etc)"?

The cells are charged from with-in the car. Current hybrids are gas/electric. No need to plug them into a wall outlet...

OOOOOOPsss...

Sorry

Replace Hybrid with Electric....

My mind was way ahead of my fingers....hehehehe