PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Stubborn Brake Dust

fotodad
04-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I thought I was doing a good job keeping up with the brake dust from my car. But I`ve noticed behind each spoke on each wheel the brake dust will not come off even with the toughest scrubbing. I`ve tried various over the counter wheel cleaners, but it still won`t come off. I don`t want to use a wire brush because I`m sure I`ll rub the paint off the wheel, but I fear this is the only way I`ll get these stubborn stains off. Is there a heavy-duty cleaner and/or stiffer brush I can use to get this break dust accumulation/staining off?

Thanks!

imported_Axe
04-18-2005, 03:30 PM
You can use your old/used detailing clay, this will pull off the caked in brake dust, works very well.

WrxRob513
04-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Yes. I second the clay idea.

The clear coat used on wheels is pretty durable, i wouldn`t be too worried with the wire brush if you are gentle.

Lowejackson
04-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Try some brake cleaner

stilez
04-19-2005, 07:32 AM
You may need to invest in an acid based wheel cleaner and cut it with water 50/50.

Also, a Scotchbrite pad and #0000 Steel Wool work pretty well, but require polishing to follow up.

fotodad
04-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I`ll try the clay bar method first. If that doesn`t work I`ll go with the brake cleaner, then an acid based wheel cleaner (any suggestions on what brand?), and if all else fails I`ll try steel wool or a wire brush.

I`ll let you folks know how it goes.

WD Pro
04-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Wonder Wheels will shift virtually anything but I donâ€â„¢t know if itâ€â„¢s available in the states.

Just remember to keep it of bare metal, callipers and wheel nuts etc. Itâ€â„¢s a good once a year thing when the wheels are removed.

Hope this helps.

WD :xyxthumbs

WD Pro
04-20-2005, 07:03 AM
Should have added these :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Peter1/Antonys%20Golf/Wheel-Before1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Peter1/Antonys%20Golf/Wheel-After2.jpg

togwt
04-20-2005, 07:13 AM
Quote: Clean your wheels with Eagle One A2Z All Wheel Cleaner. Ensure the wheels are cool and do only one at a time. Using this product is as simple as spraying it on the wheel and hosing it off. Be aware that if your wheels are excessively dirty, some agitation with an old paint brush may be necessary. Valvoline