PDA

View Full Version : Swirl, holograms and scratches. I have them all - need some help.

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Technics
04-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I have the works. I`m getting ready to purchase a PC and would like to know what pads and products I should use to remove these. The car does have a clearcoat and I think a large amount of these scratches are from using the brush at the self-service bay before I started using the two-bucket method. There are some serious holograms on the sides of the car and there are also some heavier scratches on the hood roof and trunk. The swirls are all over.

Is there a particular product that can take care of these? Or do I need specific products for each?

Thanks in advance.

Accumulator
04-18-2005, 12:59 PM
You can probably fix the marring with the PC, though some cases are tougher than others. I`d treat the whole car the same way, but work the worst of the marring longer.

I would recommend two products, 3M PI-III RC (05933) and PI-III MG (05937). These have been recently discontinued but are still commonly available. I got mine HERE (http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=3825)

You might use the RC with a 4" cutting pad for added bite. Then use the RC again with a polishing pad. Then use the MG. That should at least get things *much* better.

gav'spurplez
04-18-2005, 01:01 PM
i just detailed a taurus ( black ) that was swirled pretty bad.

i`ll be posting pics in click and brag section in a few.

i used menzerna intensive polish and NXT. i also have used final polish 2 from menzerna after the IP.

i`m looking into getting some poorboys SSR2.5 and some vanilla moose from clearkote.

i use NXT to seal/protect and i also use wolfgang concourse paint sealant.

i am looking into getting some carnaube moose from clearkote as well

i`m sure there will be lots of combos posted to help you out

LamboJay
04-18-2005, 01:20 PM
You`re likely to get a mulitidude of recomendations as there a many exelent products out there. Many autopians love megs and poorboys products. I like the Autoglym stuff.

I had a couple of areas with heavy swirl marks and was able to get them all out.

I used Autoglym paint restorer with a PC/Sonus orange pad at speed 5.5, followed up with Super Resin Polish with a green pad at speed 4.5. Then hand applied Extra gloss protection.

You can see my results here (close up pics on 2nd page):

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53930

imported_Technics
04-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I know everyone will use something different.

Can we all agree that I will need to use some type of abrasive with a cutting pad? And then follow up with some type of polish on a polishing pad?

Accumulator
04-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Yeah, that`s a safe assumption, but plan on both products being abrasive (just different "cuts"). You might want to add an intermediate step where you use your more aggressive product with a polishing pad after the cutting pad. I almost always step-down in this way.

imported_Technics
04-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Sounds good, I`ll give it try.

EDIT: The MG, is that used with a polishing pad?

Accumulator
04-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Technics

The MG, is that used with a polishing pad?

Yes.

imported_Technics
04-19-2005, 11:38 AM
I was thinking of purchasing the PC kit from Autopia w/the Sonus pads. Should I be set?

Tanat198
04-19-2005, 12:14 PM
You may wanna get extra pads for each step ie polishing pads.

6speedZ
04-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Tanat198

You may wanna get extra pads for each step ie polishing pads.

Not to Hijack, but I too have the Sonus DAS Pad Kit and I was just about to place an order for some Propel Pads. Will I be good just adding a blue polish and grey finishing pad or should I also add a green cutting pad? I would think that with the products I use I wont need any more cutting pads than the ones that came with the Sonus Kit. Does this sound right? BTW the only products I really use are Menzerna IP & FPII, AIO, Zaino/P21S/Souveran.

gav'spurplez
04-19-2005, 05:12 PM
defiantely want a couple sets of pads.

i use meguiars products for customer cars half of the time. so i need a second set for those products, since my menzerna and wolfgang use another set.

any pics of the vehicle that needs the work ??

mystickid
04-19-2005, 09:07 PM
ACCUMULATOR,

Would you say that 3M PI-III RC (05933) and PI-III MG (05937), are more effective and better overall than megs #83 DACP follwed by Megs #80 Speed Glaze??

I`m having diffulty deciding between the two brands to use on my Spider scratched, swirl marked black car.

Thanx for the help.

Tanat198
04-19-2005, 09:37 PM
I`m sure that 3M products are great and I like them ( no fillers in particular) But they dry way too fast for me to work with. It could be the weather in my country (hot+high humidity) I finally gave up on 3M PI-III MG and switch to 1Zpp instead. I can work the polish longer since it stays wet. Many perfer 1ZPP over #80 but it depends on your preference. You just have to try. I`m sure both of them will get rid of your problem easily.

Good Luck.

Tanat198
04-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 6speedZ

Not to Hijack, but I too have the Sonus DAS Pad Kit and I was just about to place an order for some Propel Pads. Will I be good just adding a blue polish and grey finishing pad or should I also add a green cutting pad? I would think that with the products I use I wont need any more cutting pads than the ones that came with the Sonus Kit. Does this sound right? BTW the only products I really use are Menzerna IP & FPII, AIO, Zaino/P21S/Souveran.

I personally use MEGs. I never have experience using Sonus DAS pad. I usually use just polishing pads and finishing pads, 3-4 pads for each job. From the list of products u plan to use, I would say polishing and finish pad will do just fine.

Good luck.