PDA

View Full Version : Stone chips and leather scratches

bcarter20
04-18-2005, 05:33 AM
Hi Guys,

two questions that I would like some help on:

1) the internal door panels on my car are trimmed in leather (black) and the previous owner seems to have "scratched" the leather, either with nails or jewellery. I put it in quotes because the surface of the leather is not broken but there are short lines in the leather. I have tried to mask them by using black shoe polish followed by standard leather care products (Zymol) and buffing. They are a lot less noticeable, but are still there. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them completely?

2) there are loads of small stone chips on the front of the car. I have it booked in to have them sanded out and a respray. There are so many that this is the only practical way to get rid of them. The car is Imola Red so as soon as there is a stone chip you see the undercoat, grrr... This situation leads on to the next question:

I would like your experiences with using any of the plastic films that are available to minimize the effect of stones. For example, should I do a complete detail with my Klasse products and Carnauba wax (P21 or Meguiars) before having the film fitted so that the color under the film will look the same as that not under the film, or will the installer of the film strip that off to get the best adhesion for his product, etc, etc..

Thanks.

togwt
04-18-2005, 06:55 AM
1)the internal door panels on my car are trimmed in leather (black) and the previous owner seems to have "scratched" the leather, either with nails or jewellery. I put it in quotes because the surface of the leather is not broken but there are short lines in the leather. I have tried to mask them by using black shoe polish followed by standard leather care products (Zymol) and buffing. They are a lot less noticeable, but are still there. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them completely?

A: The only way I know of dealing with scratches in leather if the surface is not broken is with a dye (while its true that shoe polish contains a dye you would need to apply a leather dye to a clean (meaning no dirt/oil/wax) in order for it to bond

2) there are loads of small stone chips on the front of the car. I have it booked in to have them sanded out and a respray. There are so many that this is the only practical way to get rid of them. The car is Imola Red so as soon as there is a stone chip you see the undercoat, grrr... This situation leads on to the next question:

I would like your experiences with using any of the plastic films that are available to minimize the effect of stones. For example, should I do a complete detail with my Klasse products and Carnauba wax (P21 or Meguiars) before having the film fitted so that the color under the film will look the same as that not under the film, or will the installer of the film strip that off to get the best adhesion for his product, etc, etc..

A: A viable protection product is a pressed, polished thermoplastic vinyl (X-Pelâ„¢, Amour Glove, 3M) made from an optically clear 12-Mil clear film that has been treated not to â€Ëœyellowâ€â„¢, its virtually indestructible in normal use that adhererâ€â„¢s to the cars paint surface. The paint surface needs to be free of any dirt/wax/oils in order for the adhesive used to bond with the paint surface

Available in custom, laser cut templates that are available for virtually all car models, and many parts of the car, clean / maintain with a plastic cleaner / polish (Plexus). Do not use a foam pad/ rotary buffer on the plastic surface. Tape the edges of the auto mask when polishing the vehicles paint.

JonM