PDA

View Full Version : Am I Using Too Much Product?

daves745t
04-17-2005, 10:44 PM
I used the PC for the first time today on an older car that I`m selling. Its got some clearcoat peeling on the hood, but the rest is in pretty decent shape. It was a lot of fun - wish I had started using one sooner!

I`m still waiting for my order from CMA, so I had no pads other than the one that came with the PC. I used the PC with 3M SMR followed by a polish and wax by hand since I only had one pad.

Questions:

1. How often do you typically mist the pad? I was doing it just about every time I applied more product to the pad.

2. Different times while working the SMR I notice little balls of it kind of spinning off. Does this mean I`m using too much? I was probably working too large an area and let the SMR dry out a little at times.

3. How much do you work the product in? Do you just keep going over until it seems like the product is all gone?

4. Realistically how large an area should you work and approximately how much product should be required to work it?

Thanks!

-Dave

togwt
04-18-2005, 12:04 AM
A1: I will start by saying that the pad that comes with the PC is not suitable for auto care productsÃâ‚Â

Questions:

1. How often do you typically mist the pad? I was doing it just about every time I applied more product to the pad.

A: The idea is to use a Ãâ‚ËœdampÃâ‚â„ pad to avoid too much product absorbs ion and to lubricate the surface (see also A!)

2. Different times while working the SMR I notice little balls of it kind of spinning off. Does this mean I`m using too much? I was probably working too large an area and let the SMR dry out a little at times.

A: Mostly with care products if you think you are using too much product...you are. The adage Ãâ‚Å“Less is moreÃâ‚Â holds very true here.

3. How much do you work the product in? Do you just keep going over until it seems like the product is all gone?

A: With most product work them until they are Ãâ‚ËœalmostÃâ‚â„ gone (the only way youÃâ‚â„ll know is practice) donÃâ‚â„t work them until they are Ãâ‚ËœdryÃâ‚â„ otherwise it could cause surface marring

4. Realistically how large an area should you work and approximately how much product should be required to work it?

A: Again with most products a 2-foot square area is about right. IÃâ‚â„ve never broken it down to how much product will cover a 2-foot panel, I can tell you that 0.5 Ãâ‚“ 1.0 oz will cover the average vehicle.

JonM

daves745t
04-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Good Stuff! Thanks for the reply and info. Definitely the biggest surprise was how little product you would use for the entire vehicle.

-Dave