PDA

View Full Version : will zaino Z2 bond on top of 1Z metallic polish??

Pages : [1] 2

imported_nadir
04-17-2005, 09:25 PM
like the thread title states ...

i`m wondering. I applied 1Z MP with a gray pad on the car. This was on top of some old klasse SG.

I want to top it with Z2 and see what the results are like .. but if it doesn`t bond, i don`t want to bother.

any suggestions??

my is black

thanks

ZaneO
04-17-2005, 09:28 PM
I think there could be bonding problems.

Corey Bit Spank
04-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Hm.... I really want to know what people think Zaino will "bond" to. And what the theory is behind it.

I never got why people used VM before EX-P since they wouldn`t use it before any other sealant...

imported_nadir
04-18-2005, 12:29 AM
well i did it... i won`t know until tomorrow morning in direct sunlight.

when wiping it off, it seemed okay.. no streaks.

chevyguy28
04-18-2005, 02:01 AM
If you apply Z2 to a very oily surface, my guess is that the failure to bond will be apparent quickly.

However, if you try applying Z2 to a less than ideal surface, it may bond or partially bond, and you will see reduced durability and perhaps not get as good results (slickness, looks, etc?). This is my speculation. There reason behind this is because I have applied Z5 directly over AIO and directly over FPII (which may have some lubricating oils).

Just an idea.

In any case, in the future, it`s best to do a quick was after metallic polish for maximum durability.

- J

imported_jgv
04-18-2005, 05:33 AM
It`s public that MP contains carnuba wax......

togwt
04-18-2005, 06:06 AM
I think thatâ€â„¢s why Klasse AIO is the most common â€Ëœprepâ€â„¢ product for Zaino and maybe why Zaino has developed their own chemical cleaner to replace it.

Most of the better polishes (Iz amongst others) contain oils for surface lubrication, which need to be remove to avoid polymer bonding / durability issues.

Quote: Hm.... I really want to know what people think Zaino will "bond" to. And what the theory is behind it.

The theory as I understand it-

A polymer adheres primary by surface tension and during the cross-linking period forms a bond with the paint molecules (molecular bonding), polymer cannot form a molecular bond to bare metal.

The presence of oil may inhibit the cross-linking process of a polymer or linking together of the chains (monomers or building blocks) to form a â€Ëœstructureâ€â„¢ by acting as a barrier and will compromise its strength, durability, drying time, and bonding. Be sure that the surface of the vehicle can be left undisturbed from rain and water) until the polymer has cross-linked or the surface protection may be compromised.

JonM

imported_memnuts
04-18-2005, 06:50 AM
Zaino has developed a true diminishing abrasive water-based cleanser / polish, not a chemical cleanser like AIO. The abrasive property (reducing abrasive components) start at a level between DACP and Meg #80. Its finishing level is on par with Menzerna PO85RD, FP I and II. It is as easy to use as P21S GECP, VM, PB SMR 2, AIO and 1Z MP (both customer (MP) and professional series (Soft Wax)).

It is quite an impressive SMR (polish/cleanser) leaving the "ideal" base for Zaino polishes.

If one uses 1Z MP as a cleanser/ploish just wipe down with IPA to remove oils or at least a Z6 QD or Z7 wash.

1Z MP has a polymer based protectant not a carnuaba.

Mochamanz1
04-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

The presence of oil may inhibit the cross-linking process of a polymer or linking together of the chains (monomers or building blocks) to form a â€Ëœstructureâ€â„¢ by acting as a barrier and will compromise its strength, durability, drying time, and bonding. Be sure that the surface of the vehicle can be left undisturbed from rain and water) until the polymer has cross-linked or the surface protection may be compromised.

JonM

I was tracking with you until the statement about water affecting the crosslinking/bonding. I know BF recommends not to let water get to the surface during the 24 hours or so required for BF to bond, but I was thinking that spec. was product specific to BF. Please clarify if you mean this is the case for all Polymer based products. I have not had an instance of sealant failure due to this type of scenario. But then, I dont look for extreme durability. :xyxthumbs

togwt
04-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Be sure that the surface of the vehicle can be left undisturbed from rain and water) until the polymer has cross-linked or the surface protection may be compromised.

This is for polymers period, oil or water affect there cross-linking process.

JonM

MrDetail
04-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Zaino has developed a true diminishing abrasive water-based cleanser / polish, not a chemical cleanser like AIO. The abrasive property (reducing abrasive components) start at a level between DACP and Meg #80. Its finishing level is on par with Menzerna PO85RD, FP I and II. It is as easy to use as P21S GECP, VM, PB SMR 2, AIO and 1Z MP (both customer (MP) and professional series (Soft Wax)).

It is quite an impressive SMR (polish/cleanser) leaving the "ideal" base for Zaino polishes.

If one uses 1Z MP as a cleanser/ploish just wipe down with IPA to remove oils or at least a Z6 QD or Z7 wash.

1Z MP has a polymer based protectant not a carnuaba.

I HAVE TO GET SOME of this stuff. If it is half as good as the rest of Zainos product it must rock.

imported_memnuts
04-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by mrdetail

I HAVE TO GET SOME of this stuff. If it is half as good as the rest of Zainos product it must rock.

It does ROCK!! :bounce

chevyguy28
04-18-2005, 07:04 PM
So whatever happened to the Zaino abrasive?

Corey Bit Spank
04-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Justin, I think it was discussed about 5 posts up from yours. :)

chevyguy28
04-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

Justin, I think it was discussed about 5 posts up from yours. :)

That`s why I`m asking about it. What happened to it? Is it out? Is Sal planning to bring it to market?