PDA

View Full Version : Went back in time today

Pages : [1] 2

White95Max
04-17-2005, 08:04 PM
I decided to use my old bottle of Gold Class on my mom`s Concorde today. I can`t believe how far I`ve come with products, in terms of ease of use. I used to use Gold Class every month about 1.5yrs ago. It felt like I was spreading Elmer`s glue around. What a PITA!

And to think I used to remove it with a cotton diaper! I used two MFs (with plenty of scrubbing) because the first one got loaded up with product and it just kept streaking. That brings up the other complaint....it`s so hard to get a thin layer with that stuff.

I`m giving my GC to my neighbors next time I see them. They use some $3.00 wax from some local store right now, so they`ll be excited to receive a bottle of $10 wax!

I`ll stick with my boutique waxes thank you...

TW85 HHI
04-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Now imagine using nearly an entire bottle of Gold Class on a midsize car! In my stupid days, I did that and then removed with rags made from discarded cotton sheets. :eek:

Glossmaster
04-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Ah yes..........the good old days!!!! This thread brings a smile to my face knowing that I used to do the same thing! LONG LIVE AUTOPIANS!!!! lol

saling4
04-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Man, Talking like this is almost like a High School Reunion. I remember washing a car with dishsoap, wiping with a old towel or T-Shirt and thinking.WOW!! That is one clean car.....LOL:nixweiss Now I have MF`s , NXT`s, I QD and PC, Polish and AIO. Are we all goverment Employees with all those Initials?

Setec Astronomy
04-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I was just using my Gold Class on my coffee table :down . The problem with it is the #7-ish properties of it, which make it such a pain to get off. I`m going to go back to my last use of the GC, which was the aluminum cladding on my house windows, where it worked very nicely. (goldarnit...I`ll use that stuff up somehow...and the other umpty-seven LSP`s I`ve got...)

Mosca says the new GC is much better in all respects.

Nice sig line, Maxy...I know the older I get the more I realize the less I know...I didn`t realize it would eventually peter out to knowing nothing...:(

White95Max
04-17-2005, 09:02 PM
That sig line is a tribute to my 50-some yr old neighbor that tries to tell me about detailing, but really knows nothing at all. She still tells me that washing and waxing too often will wear out my clearcoat. :rolleyes:

She thinks that since she has been around much longer than me, she automatically is an expert on everything compared to my knowledge on that particular subject.

Setec Astronomy
04-17-2005, 09:08 PM
You`ll put your eye out!!

Intercooled
04-17-2005, 09:47 PM
I used to use old sweat pants, you know,the fuzzy soft inside of the pants, thats what I would buff with. And Use Megs cleaner wax. I was so excited, just one step!!

imported_Jinba ittai
04-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Ahh..The good ol` days. I remember:

Washing with a sponge.

Waxing with diapers.

Drying with a chamois.

Using AA on the interior.

Using a towel to dust off the paint.

Using wax that matched the color of my car in hopes of filling the scratches and paint chips.

The first time I waxed a car I was 16. I waxed in 30 degree weather and left it on overnight. I couldn`t get it off for two days and when I did it looked horrible, all streaked and swirled. I think it was Turtle Wax.

:shocked This is getting painful...

JustinR32
04-17-2005, 10:27 PM
LOL, I know what you mean! Old formula Gold Class was one of the most curious things; I always wondered what people liked about it. Maybe it was "good because it is so hard to get off".

I`d like to offer one caveat: the only similarity between old Gold Class and new Gold Class is the name; the new formula addresses every fault of the old one and is a superior OTC product.

The old GC was one of my least favorite premium products ever; the new GC is one of my favorite and preferred OTC products.

Tom

General Lee
04-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

You`ll put your eye out!!

:rofl

imported_Gears
04-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Not all Old School is really that bad. I have a can of "Classic Car Wax" bought it in 1969. It cost $5.00, an unheard of price for wax when Turtle wax was $1.29.

Well, I still use it to wax my helmet, just enough cleaners to remove the bug juice and has a nice waxy smell. I was going to Zaino it but why change now.

White95Max
04-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Certainly there are some classics that are great. Meg`s #16 comes to mind. It`s easy to use, looks great, and lasts for a long time too.

Gold Class certainly doesn`t come close to #16 in any respect.

Accumulator
04-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Yeah, lucky for me the old-school products I grew up with are still pretty good. I used some #5 on the repainted bumper cover of my wife`s A8 and *zap* I was transported back to the 1970s. The smell of #7 and #16 take me back even farther than that.

And yeah Gears, I used Classic for a while in 1976 before going back to the multi-step regimen. It`s not bad stuff at all for a cleaner wax. IMO it`s great that you still have that old can of it. The oldest stuf I ever use is my `77 can of Pro (yellow) wax. Hardly any left in it now....

AlexRuiz
04-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Mosca

LOL, I know what you mean! Old formula Gold Class was one of the most curious things; I always wondered what people liked about it. Maybe it was "good because it is so hard to get off".

I`d like to offer one caveat: the only similarity between old Gold Class and new Gold Class is the name; the new formula addresses every fault of the old one and is a superior OTC product.

The old GC was one of my least favorite premium products ever; the new GC is one of my favorite and preferred OTC products.

Tom

What I liked about the old gold class was the look. Granted, stare hard at it and the beading / slickness will be gone, but it surely looked nice after you were done. As far as application, it was hard but not extremely painful.... what I remember. I`ll have to give the new gold class a spin (and go even further in the late queue of products that I have to try)

Alex