PDA

View Full Version : Sealing brand new wheels ?

Pages : [1] 2

00firebird
04-15-2005, 03:11 PM
dropped $$$ on some wheels.. I would like to protect them with many coats so that any dust on them can be easily wiped off. What would be the best thing to coat them with? they`re still in the boxes and will be, until i can coat them with atleast something.

anyone got some ideas as to what to use?

http://grimreaper.250free.com/privatprofil.JPG

Accumulator
04-15-2005, 03:14 PM
I`d use the Klasse twins with mutiple layers of SG. But I wouldn`t do the back sides until I had the tires mounted and the balance weights on.

jetskie
04-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Any sealant like Klasse will work, but remember that brakes get hot and you will need to reapply more often (monthly?) than on your paint. Also if you use a wheel cleaner like AtoZ it will wash the protection away faster.

Accumulator
04-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by jetskie

Any sealant like Klasse will work, but remember that brakes get hot and you will need to reapply more often (monthly?) than on your paint. Also if you use a wheel cleaner like AtoZ it will wash the protection away faster.

So true about the use of wheel cleaner! The good news is that with a sealant on them you can just use a slightly stronger than normal car wash shampoo mix.

While there are *lot* of variables, I find that (street driven) wheels seldom really get all that hot. I do some *very* hard braking in the S8 when we travel (other cars I`ve driven on that route got extreme brake fade) but my sealants hold up great.

2000firebird
04-15-2005, 07:02 PM
the klasse twins seem to get lots of comments, but they aren`t available locally anywhere that i know of. any other products that will do as good a job?

stevet
04-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by 2000firebird

the klasse twins seem to get lots of comments, but they aren`t available locally anywhere that i know of. any other products that will do as good a job?

Collinite Insulator wax will do very well on wheels. I use it on mine and I find It lasts longer than Klasse SG did. You should be able to get it a Carquest for $9.99 a pint.

klnyc
04-15-2005, 07:19 PM
I used following products on my rims: KSG,4*UPP,PB EX-P, and WG. :bow

Woowee, my rim just 1oz heavier :D

holland_patrick
04-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Spend the money on the poor boy`s wheel sealent.. it`s the best.

White95Max
04-15-2005, 08:33 PM
I bought some new wheels back in January, and I sealed them with 4 layers of WG sealant and 2 layers of Meg`s #16. They were very slick, and beaded water extremely well. I was very happy with it.

I sold the wheels for a profit though, so I can`t say how the brake dust situation is.

trueblueblood
04-15-2005, 08:34 PM
MAke sure when you mount to tell em` to put the weights on the back or get the sticky ones :xyxthumbs

Like those wheels

NEW AGAIN
04-15-2005, 09:01 PM
I use that new prestone wax on my customers wheels. But be careful around the rivets area for build up, Try it for $4.99 you can`t go wrong.

ntoddalbert
04-15-2005, 09:05 PM
I use Klasse on my Winter rims, tons of Salt, weekly and sometimes 3X a wek AZ and still it protected. I think you cant go wrong with Klasse. You might need a quarter of an ounce to treat those wheels, go for it, if you were close I would give it to you......

Accumulator
04-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Actually, I`d do both- use adhesive weights on the back side. And have them balanced on one of the good Hunter balancing machines.

Lowejackson
04-17-2005, 07:28 AM
I would clay before putting a sealent on them

182blue
04-18-2005, 03:58 AM
i would seal them, but if you clean them often enough (at least once a week) they will be ok anyway