PDA

View Full Version : Topper for Collinite?...

Pages : [1] 2

stogie1020
04-15-2005, 01:22 AM
I am looking for any thoughts on a good QD topper for Collinite 845 on top of AIO for a black TSX. Will be putting on a coat or two of Collinite this weekend and would love some feedback from people who have Collinite on their cars. I live in Arizona, so the Collinite is as much for durability, but I would love a good spray for after the CCD or weekly hand wash.

Someone gave me a bottle of NXT QD spray and I like it, but don`t have anything to compare it to, much less on top of Collinite.

Any thoughts?

togwt
04-15-2005, 06:35 AM
Melting Point (Fracture/evaporation temperatures): Polymers 350oF, Silicone oil 350oF, Mineral oils 200oF, Synthetic blends (Carnauba wax / polymers) 200oF, Carnauba wax 180oF, and BeeÃâ‚â„s wax 130oF, in actual practice the high temperatures frequently encountered by vehicles from the radiation causes wax compounds to melt, for example, a painted surfaces exposed to ambient temperatures of 85oF in direct sunlight, will obtain a temperature of 195 degrees or more. It should be noted that there is a range of temperatures at which melting begins and that the `melting point` is the end point of that range

1. Collinite has a melting point range of 132 Ãâ‚“ 143oF

2. NXT Tech Wax is not known for its durability (2-6 weeks) You might have a bonding issue with a polymer on top of a wax product.

If I were choosing products for durability in a hot climate (I live in Florida but your region attain temps in excess of FL) I would use a polymer sealant (Zaino)

Collinite Wax (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53725&perpage=24&highlight=carnauba%20wax&pagenumber=3)

JonM

stevet
04-15-2005, 08:40 AM
TOWGT,

Your info about Collinite melting points is for the 476s. Stogie1020 is asking about 845 Insulator wax. IW was made to protect power lines. I use IW all the time on my wheels and it`s durability is better than anything else I have used including Klasse SG. Did you happen to ask about the melting point for Insulator wax.

stevet
04-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by stogie1020

I am looking for any thoughts on a good QD topper for Collinite 845 on top of AIO for a black TSX. Will be putting on a coat or two of Collinite this weekend and would love some feedback from people who have Collinite on their cars. I live in Arizona, so the Collinite is as much for durability, but I would love a good spray for after the CCD or weekly hand wash.

Someone gave me a bottle of NXT QD spray and I like it, but don`t have anything to compare it to, much less on top of Collinite.

Any thoughts?

Collinite Insulator Wax is my go to LSP. I don`t use a CCD or QD my car. If it`s dirty I wash and after I wash Insulator Wax looks great and I don`t need to QD.

wannafbody
04-15-2005, 09:47 AM
try S100 over the 845-the 845 has some synthetic components-the NXT`s looks tend to fade tast but IMO the protective abilities stay around for a while- you could use NXT and top with S100

AlexRuiz
04-15-2005, 09:50 AM
The insulator wax is also my go to LSP. As Stevet mentions, its resistance to heat is quite remarkable as in the wheels it will outlast almost anything you have in mind.

The 845 wax has a very attractive look by itself. I said before that [flamesuit on] I have a very hard time differentiating it from the S100 look [flamesuit off], both very shiny and reflective, more sealant-like than the majority of other carnaubas. Slickness and looks will last some weeks before you notice it is diminishing. To top it, any quick detailer will make the trick. Personally, I would go with the new mothers reflections spray wax :up

Alex

Edit: Please post pics of the TSX with the IW. I love that car to death, a shame I cannot buy it here yet..... Don`t forget to report your findings.

Spilchy
04-15-2005, 09:58 AM
I use Collinite on my car all the time. After washing I like to use QuickShine. That`s just a preference because I like the look. You can use whatever QD you want!

As far as a booster wax, I like EO WAUD after a wash.

AlexRuiz - no flamesuit needed - I agree 100% I`m a LONG time IW user and have advocated it (on wheels too) until I`m blue in the face :D

Remember, there`s a difference between a true QD and a QD type booster product.

togwt
04-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by stevet

TOWGT,

Your info about Collinite melting points is for the 476s. Stogie1020 is asking about 845 Insulator wax. IW was made to protect power lines. I use IW all the time on my wheels and it`s durability is better than anything else I have used including Klasse SG. Did you happen to ask about the melting point for Insulator wax.

I apologize I should have written Ãâ‚Å“Collinite #476s Super Double coat Auto Wax / #845 Liquid Insulator Wax has a melting point range of 132 Ãâ‚“ 143oFÃâ‚ (I called again today 12:55-04.15.05 to confirm (315)732.2282)

JonM

AlexRuiz
04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

I apologize I should have written Ãâ‚Å“Collinite #476s Super Double coat Auto Wax / #845 Liquid Insulator Wax has a melting point range of 132 Ãâ‚“ 143oFÃâ‚ (I called again today 12:55-04.15.05 to confirm (315)732.2282)

JonM

I would bet some money that they just repeated the number from the 476S.....

imported_seikoguy
04-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Jon/TOGWT,

Pardon me, but are you saying (in your post above) that Collinite`s 476s has the exact same melting point range (132ÂÂF - 143ÂÂF) ? Hmm, I`m just curious as I live in South Florida and I`ve been most happy with the durability of Collinite 845. In spite of it being called a "wax" by its manufacturer, it performs more like a sealant, and I really do like the looks of it on my car. I`ve also noticed how little dirt/dust accumulate on it as my car is outdoors 24/7. I initially purchased 2 bottles of it earlier this year and have been so impressed with it, that I just picked up another 6 bottles of the stuff for $9 a bottle. It`s so durable that that will probably last me forever. I also use 845 on my wheels, and it performs so much better than other products that have been "specially" formulated to be used on wheels. Definitely a great all-around product.

bcwang
04-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Does insulator wax work on chrome wheels?

stevet
04-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by bcwang

Does insulator wax work on chrome wheels?

I see no reason why it wouldn`t.

wannafbody
04-15-2005, 07:22 PM
IW is glossy and has a nice glow :D

Mochamanz1
04-15-2005, 07:43 PM
To each his own, but even in Alaska, in the summertime, it gets warm enough to melt Carnauba off a vehicle.(for a short time) I guess this thread is based on a fixation/preference for carnauba, but I recommend sealing the finish first with SOME Polymer protectant before using Carnauba. The nature of wax does not change from brand to brand in terms of temperature (melting point), although I have heard glowing reviews of Collinite products durability. I am going to try it shortly. (as soon as I get hold of something to put it on) You should however warn newbies away from just waxes, IMHO. I come in peace BTW, I just think this entire thread is about "topping a topper" and could mislead an unsophisticated/knowledgable person to unwittingly pile wax upon wax.... without increasing the protection of the paint in a cost effective way.:nixweiss

stogie1020
04-15-2005, 07:50 PM
OK, thanks. I didn`t mean to start a debate over the effectiveness of IW as a hot temp wax, I know that has already been covered. I will try it herein the "oven" I live in , and if it fails quickly, I will switch to Blackfire. What I really wanted was to know if there was a particular QD spray that worked well with IW, and it seems as though any will produce good effects.

Spilchy,

what did you mean by "there`s a difference between a true QD and a QD type booster product."?? Could you list a few of each so I know the difference?