PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Meguiar`s #2 Fine Cut cleaner

SkeptiKal
04-14-2005, 05:12 PM
I`ve been using Meg`s #2 to remove swirl marks that I had on my sister`s old car. I am not totally satisfied with the results to want to use it on my own car.

I am looking for an alternative. I guess I would need something more abrasive to get better results?

At the same time, I have a few newer cars that I work on that do not require the same attention. Using the same products on every car can`t be too good, as I do not want to stip more clear coat than I need to.

I have a couple of alternatives, eshine.ca seems like a good place to order from (Im in Canada) and I also know a distributor of Zaino in my area.

I have no problem getting 2 products, one more abrasive/`heavy duty` than the other. What would you guys recommend?

This is what I am dealing with:

http://img67.echo.cx/img67/5632/img02291ej.th.jpg (http://img67.echo.cx/my.php?image=img02291ej.jpg)

Mad iX
04-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Are you using a rotary? #2 needed to be applied via rotary until recently.

#83 is more abrasive, and should be strong enough for those swirls, unless the paint is really hard.

SkeptiKal
04-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Yes, I am using a Porter Cable 7336.

That is a picture prior to me doing the #2 though.

I should have posted `after` pictures but there still seems to be some swirl marks left.

stilez
04-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Try varying your pads and speeds. Polishes/compounds can be very versatile this way. For instance...

-Try Speed 6 with a cutting pad

-Follow up with Speed 3 and a polishing/finishing pad (remove any haze)

SkeptiKal
04-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Ya I will definatly have to try some different things.

Nice GSR btw, its actually a 94 RS that I was working on.

I wanted something for my car as well (2003). Don`t know if I should just keep at it with the Meguires line or give something else a try.

stilez
04-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Trying new products are always fun. With a PC, give Poorboy`s polishes a shot.

Good Luck with the Milano Red.

Accumulator
04-15-2005, 12:38 PM
SkeptiKal- You can make the PC behave more aggressively by switching to 4" pads. It can really make a difference.

For alternative (aggressive) products, check out the Hi-Temp stuff at TOL.