PDA

View Full Version : Used 5 PB products but the after pictures are ...

Thomas Dekany
12-08-2004, 12:15 AM
I wish I paused longer taking the after pictures, but the owner had to take her son to piano lesson. It looked really nice once done. I wish it was sunny today! :D

2002 - too many scretches and swirled all over. Rain most of the day but cleared up by the time I was done. I worked in their garage so I may have missed a few spots. :(

nxt wash
mothers clay
ssr 3 with an orange pad 6
ssr 2.5 new LC white pad 6 (fell apart before I was done)
ssr 1 LC white pad 5
FK1 #2180 blue pad 4
PwC by hand (roof rack area)
AA on tires/plastic

interior
vacume
NL on everything
woolite on carpet

both of these before & after shots were taken very close to the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/tn_118_1880.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/tn_118_1884.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/tn_118_1879.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/tn_118_1883.jpg

Thomas Dekany
12-08-2004, 12:16 AM
forgot to turn the flash off

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/tn_118_1885.jpg

here is without it, but I moved :angry :angry :angry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/tn_118_1882.jpg

mgm2003
12-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Did you try to clean up the marring? It`s a real PITA on black GM paint.

Thomas Dekany
12-08-2004, 06:33 PM
The paint looked beautiful to the naked eye on that cloudy day. Didn`t see it until I uploaded the picture.

edschwab1
12-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Looks good.

Why did use PwC on the roof and not the whole process on the roof?

Eric

Thomas Dekany
12-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Looks good.

Why did use PwC on the roof and not the whole process on the roof?

Eric

Thanks Eric!

Space, headroom. I did the front of the roof - behind the sunroof I just had the hardest time to work on.there was very little space.

edschwab1
12-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Thanks. I was just wondering.

Eric

mgm2003
12-09-2004, 09:38 AM
tdekany. I did not mean any offense in my post. That truck looks MUCH better, and I`d bet the owner was all smiles. They are a lot of work!

The reason that I asked about the marring is because I had/have the same thing on my black Z71 and it takes one hell of an effort to correct. I`ve been researching products for correcting marring, especially on black and so far it looks like folks like #83 and #80 from meg`s. I`m not sure if these products fill, or actually fix the marring. Another way said.... I`m after info for correcting marring. I should have worded my post better.

Poorboy
12-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Also having a dark colored Tahoe, I find that some areas are really hard to get everything out as the pads don`t seem to work into those areas ,(like the one shown), flat...I go over areas sometimes three or four times with different product and pads before it`s totally gone and in sunlight...I can just imagine how hard it must have been working on it in a garage where you can`t step back and look at all the different angles....

blkyukon
12-09-2004, 10:21 AM
The reason that I asked about the marring is because I had/have the same thing on my black Z71 and it takes one hell of an effort to correct. I`ve been researching products for correcting marring, especially on black and so far it looks like folks like #83 and #80 from meg`s. I`m not sure if these products fill, or actually fix the marring. Another way said.... I`m after info for correcting marring. I should have worded my post better.

What product and method of application was used to get the marring?

If it`s from something as aggressive as SSR3 then #83 & #80 or equivalent should remove it. Depending on the severity of the marring you might need to do a couple of passes with each.

Here is a post I did that shows close up shots of some slight hazing/micromarring caused by Menzera IP and removed with Menzera FP:

http://detailcity.com/showthread.php?t=8834

Good luck!

mgm2003
12-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Blkyukon - Man, that`s a great link/post! Thanks for sharing.

I created my marring problem -all my fault.

Problem #1 - One of my lights burned out, and my eyes didn`t pick up that I was using too aggressive of a product/pad combo. Unfortunately I marred up the finish on 90% of my Tahoe.

Problem #2 - Brain cramp. I received a new product to try out, and instead of using it on one spot or panel, I applied it to everything but the roof! -You live, you learn. I`m not going to name the product, because the marring produced was MY fault. Never the less, the product was WAY to aggressive for what I needed to do.

Lessons learned for preventing marring:

1) Now I start polishing EVERYTHING (within in reason) with a polishing pad using my least aggressive product. I`ll step up aggressiveness on my product before my pad. I use polish, med-cut, and finish pads for 95% of what I do. Yellow heavy-cut pads I rarely use.

2) Running the PC wide open isn`t the answer. There`s a time and place for speed 6, but it`s definately not ALL of the time. I actually picked up this habit from detailing forums, based on how others use the PC. For me, It may take longer, but I do 90% of my PC work at 4-5.

3) I don`t start my polishing process with dry pads anymore. I wash them out with warm water, woolite, and APC mix and spin dry them first. Sean Busch (one of the best detailers around IMO) pointed this out me during my battles with marring.

4) I no longer dry off my black tahoe with a towel. I ONLY use Waffle Weaves. The WW`s don`t eliminate the marring, but they reduce it a lot!

blkyukon
12-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Blkyukon - Man, that`s a great link/post! Thanks for sharing.

I created my marring problem -all my fault.

Problem #1 - One of my lights burned out, and my eyes didn`t pick up that I was using too aggressive of a product/pad combo. Unfortunately I marred up the finish on 90% of my Tahoe.

Problem #2 - Brain cramp. I received a new product to try out, and instead of using it on one spot or panel, I applied it to everything but the roof! -You live, you learn. I`m not going to name the product, because the marring produced was MY fault. Never the less, the product was WAY to aggressive for what I needed to do.
Thanks!

This type if marring is the worst and drives me nuts because it can only be seen under direct sunlight or halogens..any other light it`s either invisible or very hard to see.

I did exactly the same thing the first time I tried DACP, I did the whole truck and it looked great under my fluoresent garage lights but I didn`t work it in long enough. I didn`t relize it until I went to the gas station with those big halogens and saw all the micro marring. :bigscream

Lessons learned for preventing marring:

1) Now I start polishing EVERYTHING (within in reason) with a polishing pad using my least aggressive product. I`ll step up aggressiveness on my product before my pad. I use polish, med-cut, and finish pads for 95% of what I do. Yellow heavy-cut pads I rarely use.

2) Running the PC wide open isn`t the answer. There`s a time and place for speed 6, but it`s definately not ALL of the time. I actually picked up this habit from detailing forums, based on how others use the PC. For me, It may take longer, but I do 90% of my PC work at 4-5.

3) I don`t start my polishing process with dry pads anymore. I wash them out with warm water, woolite, and APC mix and spin dry them first. Sean Busch (one of the best detailers around IMO) pointed this out me during my battles with marring.

4) I no longer dry off my black tahoe with a towel. I ONLY use Waffle Weaves. The WW`s don`t eliminate the marring, but they reduce it a lot!
Great list you got there :bigups

I totally agree with #2...For me I start off no higher then 3.5 - 4 to spread it around- bump up the speed if need to work it in, then slow it down after the polish breaksdown. Using this method greatly reduces any marring even with something as aggressive as SSR3

WW are the only way to go

Thomas Dekany
12-09-2004, 05:45 PM
tdekany. I did not mean any offense in my post. That truck looks MUCH better, and I`d bet the owner was all smiles. They are a lot of work!

You did NOT offend me at all. Yes, the owner was very happy with how the truck looked.

The whole tahoe was full of scretches, the paint was pretty dull when I got there. When I was done, the suv looked like a different car. I had no idea that I created micro-marrings. When I took the before/after close up pictures, the camera was only a few inches from the paint and the after picture had the flash on. As I said, I will go and give her a free wash and I`ll look at the paint to see what it looks like under sunlight.

Thomas Dekany
12-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Also having a dark colored Tahoe, I find that some areas are really hard to get everything out as the pads don`t seem to work into those areas ,(like the one shown), flat...I go over areas sometimes three or four times with different product and pads before it`s totally gone and in sunlight...I can just imagine how hard it must have been working on it in a garage where you can`t step back and look at all the different angles....

Hi Steve - the only panel that didn`t see ssr3 was the hood. It only had swirls, which came out easy with ssr2.5