PDA

View Full Version : one stage paint - first detail

ClueByFour
04-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Another newbie here - I just started a full detail of my 1986 Mustang GT (I know â€â€œ itâ€â„¢s a Ford but I love it). I am the original owner, and the car has been a garage queen for most of itâ€â„¢s life. After 19 years the single stage paint still has great shine (jalapeño red), but it is covered with spider webs, swirls, and spots. I have never done anything but wax or cleaner wax on the car, so over time this stuff really accumulates. The plan so far is as follows â€â€œ

Full engine detail â€â€œ simple green and 303. This is done and came out great.

Clay â€â€œ mostly done, not much contamination.

PC work â€â€œ right now I have the following lined up:

Meg #83 with orange pad.

Meg #9 with white pad.

Klasse AIO

Multiple coats of Klasse SG

Finally, clean up those polished aluminum AR wheels with a Mothers ball and Wenol.

Will this deliver a good outcome? Should I be thinking about a yellow pad for the #83 on this one stage paint job? Some of the spots look like old, etched in water spots that were allowed to dry. Does anyone have specific advice on one stage paint in general? Any thoughts on how many coats of SG I should be planning on? I was thinking at least 3.

Also I wanted to thank everyone for their posts, and David for his great instructions. The before and after pictures in the PC 7424 chapter inspired me to take on this project, and to spend $300 on detailing products!

vdog0531
04-14-2005, 12:01 AM
the only thing i would suggest is using the lighter polish with a lighter cutting pad first.. then work your way up in aggressiveness until you have the desired look. other than that, you look like you are ready to go!

Vernon