PDA

View Full Version : can someone help me? did i mess this up? Pics inside

bildo4
04-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Ok I know I didn`t really follow the standard guidelines for how to do this, and yes you can call me an idiot if you want, I am maybe alittle over zelous, and took on something a little to big for me first, but its done now and I just want to know what I need to do to fix it.

I had serious orange peel on my spoiler, so I decided since i was doing a repair on another part I would see if I could get rid of it. So here is a before shot.

http://img36.echo.cx/img36/3640/orange16ky.jpg

here is a shot after Sanding it with 2000 grit, constantly spraying with soap/water mixture, and rinsing. I understand there is still orange peel left, but I am 1. to afraid to go anyore 2. not sure if i could build those up with a few coats of clear.

http://img36.echo.cx/img36/8637/orange24hx.jpg

this is after a buff down

http://img36.echo.cx/img36/626/orange34yc.jpg

I noticed there is still orange peel but a dramatic difference I think. Here is after meguires #2 polish and a coating of klasse

http://img36.echo.cx/img36/3235/orange49op.jpg

now im not sure what i did wrong, if im missing a step and where i need to go back, but this is what i came up with.

http://img36.echo.cx/img36/6321/orange59ga.jpg

So as you can see it still seems to have scratches and more importantly it is cloudy, shiny from an angle but dead on it is very cloudy, I know I didn`t burn my paint but im not sure what I need to do to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!:xyxthumbs

SpoiledMan
04-13-2005, 05:43 PM
From what I can see, you need to do more polishing. What did you use to polish it?

the other pc
04-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Did you maintain a constant direction while sanding? If you sand in one direction it`s much easier to tell if the residual scratches are from sanding. When inspected really close (a magnifier would be good) does it look to be the remnants of sanding scratch? Or does it look like buffing haze?

I wouldn`t expect #2 to work particularly well on #2000 sanding scratch. Normally you`d expect to use something much stronger like #84 immediately after sanding unless you stepped up to #4000 or finer.

Also, #2 is a classic product, around since the days of single stage finishes. It works on clears but not as well as newer formulations.

This is based on using a rotary buffer. #2 isn`t supposed to be used with a PC or by hand.

If you want to polish by hand or PC you`ll probably have to step up through much finer sandpaper grits.

PC.

J.J.
04-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Do a search for "wetsanding". There was a member on here recently doing this same thing to his entire car. His turned out great and he gave some very informative pointers that will definitely help you out. He gave a run down of product used and application. It was his first time too!

JJ

imported_bckpack
04-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Isn`t the spoiler some sort of plastic? The after sanding pic looks a whole lot different than I would expect. To me it looks as though you removed too much paint. I jst see too much of a difference between the sanded and non-sanded areas.

In any event I have found it can be extremely hard to buff certain plastic pieces (spoilers, pop up headlight covers, some side mirrors). If the plastic is too soft most polishes you use will create their own swirls.

Be careful using a more aggresive compound on top of the wet sanding. You may be running out of paint to work with.

vdog0531
04-13-2005, 10:30 PM
more polishing is what i would try...

imported_Burlyq
04-13-2005, 10:38 PM
What kind of sanding block did you use? If you can live with it, live with it, if you can`t, try polishing to see if it gets it if not wet sand it again.

Also, repainting that tail wouldn`t be too expensive. It`s pretty simple to tape that off and respray, especially if you sand it down. Worst case senerio.

bildo4
04-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I know I didn`t do this perfectly, but I dont have all the supplies to follow the walk through. Like I said Im kinda stupid for doing this(but we all learn a lesson right?) The paint was severely orange peeled, I did not take off too much of the clear, never once did i see color on my sandpaper, other thing is the spoiler is plastice, but should have a full coat and clear over it. The lines i see that are left in the finish seem to be from the sandpaper, but im not sure. I sanded with 2000 grit 3m imperial wet sandpaper wraped around a sanding sponge/block, then all I had was scratch x. I tried buffing by hand for some time, and while improving the finish considerably it was not doing the job that well, I applied using a low speed craftsman RO buffer, and then buffed again by hand, I applied two coats of #2 with the buffer and glazed it. I think I just need to do more buffing, but I am wondering if i need something more agressive than scratch x or something in between the scratch x and #2 polish. Should I use anything after the #2 before the klasse?