PDA

View Full Version : New to forums but not to hand detailing few questions about PC7424 and machine polish

FastGT94
04-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Hello all! My name is Dale, I`ve been obsessed with automotive detailing since I can remember. I`ve gotten pretty good with hand detailing but I`ve been seeing more and more pluses of using an orbital buffer. That being said, I finally caved and bought the PC 7424 but really have no idea what else I need for it.

My car is black and needless to say, everything shows on it. I do have some swirls, a few light scratches and some stone chips I`d like to tackle on my Mustang.

I`ve been using Meguiar`s products forever and see no reason to stop using them, I have also read plenty of good things about the excel/Propel pads.

I guess what I`m really asking in a long winded way, is what polishes, glazes and pads are recommended for a decently maintained finish? It`s baby smooth but does have some light swirls and scratches and those darn rock chips.

I was looking at the excel sampler kit with 1 orange, 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 Blue Pads, 1 gray pad and the 5" backing plate. Does this come with the 5" counterweight?

Along with that kit I was going to order another 1-2 green pads and possibly 1-2 more blue pads (all 6"). How many do I need per chemical to do my car in one job?

And finally I`d need to know what polishes glazes are recommended. I suppose they don`t have to be meguiars but I`ve had no problems with them in the past.

I have been searching and will continue to search, but I`ve never really seen any clear cut, "here is what you need" threads.

Thanks all, :wavey

FastGT94
04-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Just to add on, I know about the steps in washing / prepping a finish but maybe there are better products out there.

-Dawn to remove wax buildup (Is there a better cleaner?)

-Claybar (Mothers)

-Car wash (Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo)

-Scratch Removal

-Polish

-Wax (Meguiars MXT)

At least that`s how I used to do it by hand, I`m sure this has changed by adding the Orbital Buffer. I used to use the meguiars 3-stage system for the scratch removal/polish/wax part.

I`m new to "Glazes" when should these be used if at all?

Also, I see people mentioning SSR 2.5, 2 etc... what is this?

I`m new to all the terminology and abbreviations, so if you could gently break me in, I would also appreciate it!

Finally (I promise) I don`t see much mention of Griot`s Garage on here, is there something wrong with their products that I didn`t know about? I had been looking at their pads / products as well.

Thanks again!:bow

imported_Denzil
04-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Click the link in my sig. It has a so-called beginner package. It`s a good start. It should answer some of your questions.

SSR2.5 refers to the Poorboy`s product line with the acronym SSR referring to Super Swirlmark Remover 2.5. Their SSR product line consists of SSR1, SSR2, SSR2.5, and SSR3. The higher the number, the more abrasive properties the chemical has.

You can find all the acronyms and abbreviations here (http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm&s=&menu=8).

Hope this helps and welcome to Autopia! :wavey

the other pc
04-13-2005, 06:47 PM
:welcome

Originally posted by FastGT94

...-Dawn to remove wax buildup (Is there a better cleaner?)...

...I don`t see much mention of Griot`s Garage on here, ... Lose the Dawn. Any finish cleaner or cleaner/polish will remove old wax and clean better, Meg`s Deep Crystal Cleaner, Gold Glass Body Scrub or Medallion Cleaner, Poorboy`s SSR1, ... 3, a plethora of 3M stuff, etc.

Griot`s makes good products but they`re mostly aimed at the light to medium duty enthusiast market, fine for maintenance but not up to heavy renovation use. Most folks around here tend toward professional products but we do have Griot`s fans.

PC.

FastGT94
04-13-2005, 09:27 PM
So are you saying that many of the suggestions / products on here are based on cars that have neglected finishes and that many may be too harsh for my application?

Looks like I`ll be checking out the sample kit and order 1 more of the green & Blue pads. I`m still up in the air as to what chemicals I`ll need. I`ll also look into the paint cleaners more.

is the Poorboys product line a good line to use? I have never heard of it.

Also, after further reading, it looks like "glazes" are merely coverups for swirl marks. Does this mean that you really should not use them?

Thanks again!

sQuashed
04-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I have a load of poorboy products and I personally think they are top notch. From the Spray and Wash to the Sealants, good stuff.

When I first learned about Autopia, there was a combo that I read about here being referred to as The Hawaiian Punch which consisted of Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose(a glaze) and Poorboys

EX-P(a sealant)... This combo has never been out of stock in my inventory. The VM is not used to fill swirls,it is used to bring an outstanding "wet" look to the paint AFTER all the prep work has been done. Glaze`s are wonderful IMHO.

FastGT94
04-14-2005, 08:37 AM
So here`s what I`m seeing so far

Poor Boys 2.5 (What propel pad?)

Poor Boys 1.0 (Blue pad?)

Do I glaze at this point or polish?

Ex-P (sealant) does this replace wax?

Is all this clear coat safe.

Finally, after getting out the swirls and scratches, I obviously don`t want to use the 2.5 on every detail after that.

So at that point to Maintain the now perfect finish, do I just polish, glaze and wax?

Thanks again!

the other pc
04-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by FastGT94

So are you saying that many of the suggestions / products on here are based on cars that have neglected finishes and that many may be too harsh for my application?... Autopians will cover the full range from the seemingly basket-case to the pampered garage queen. The products talked about here go from one extreme to the other.

I didn`t mean to dis Grtiot`s. I`ve only heard good things about the products they make. But there are products they don`t make and there are other companies out there that make great stuff.

PC.

FastGT94
04-14-2005, 12:18 PM
I understand, I`m just trying to get a feel for what I need more of than others.

Less more harsh and more maintenance, I know but I really don`t have a feel for what is more harsh and what isn`t. I certainly don`t want to strip off my clear coat after detailing for a season. haha.

togwt
04-14-2005, 12:35 PM
There are threads that will advise on the abrasive cutting abilities of various polishes

Autopia Comparative Abrasion Scale (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36208&highlight=abrasive+scale)

And one on what foam pads to use with what products

[URL=http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53260&highlight=foam+pads] Foam Pad Selection Chart[/URL

JonM

FastGT94
04-14-2005, 12:45 PM
I saw that, before, thanks! But having never used any major abrasives with a machine before, what would a good level (number) to start with be if I`m just getting my feet wet with the PC?

I was thinking maybe a yellow propel (or orange Sonus DAS) and SSR 2.5 for the light swirls, that way the pad isn`t too aggressive but the product is. Or is it important to pair up the SSR 2.5 with something like the Orange Propel (not sure what SONUS product)

And would it be important to step down to the SSR1 and green propel pad after that step before sealing and waxing?

I`m just worried of cutting too much when I`m starting out and don`t really know what has potential of being too much.

Also after the initial swirls and scratches are gone, would I simply use the SSR1 / sealer / wax from then on for maintenance? Or is it bad to polish every time?:nixweiss

togwt
04-14-2005, 01:13 PM
I.E. Menzerna Machine Polish-Polish-

Remove surface imperfections (Menzerna Intensive Polish) CAS=6/10, Orange /White Pad, speed # 3.5-4.0, linear machine speed I-foot per second (FPS)

Swirl mark remover (Menzerna Final Polish II, CAS= 3/10, White Pad, speed # 4.0 - 4.5, linear machine speed 2-foot per second (FPS)

JonM

imported_CBX Carl
04-14-2005, 07:28 PM
I just helped a friend get started in the "Hobby" and he is extremely satisfied with his results even as a beginner. He only details his own two cars.

Meguiars Pads:

One Burgundy Cutting Pad W7006

Two Yellow Polishing Pads W8006

Two Beige Finishing Pads W9006

Swirl Removers & Polish

Megs #83 DACP

Megs #82 Swirl Free Polish

Megs # 16 Paste Wax

I do label my pads to key to a certain product and store them in ziploc bags.