PDA

View Full Version : How`s this for a Catch 22!

G35stilez
12-07-2004, 04:51 PM
So Sunday I was unable to complete my Zaino Z2 x 3 following the Z5 x 3 on saturday. Liz and I slept in and went out to a late breakfast. I cut the day short to prepare for elections Sunday Night.

I am currently an active member in the Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, Kappa Psi Chapter @ Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT. I have maintained a strong devotion to the fraternity and worked hard in order to run for president. Anyways, I got to school around 3:15pm and got out of elections around 8:15pm.

Good news, I was elected president of TKE for our chapter here at Quinnipiac :D :bounce

Bad news, I walk out to my car and the alarm chirps 4 times. Well I know it`s sensitive but I still do a perimeter check...Guess what I find? Someone hit and ran on my car. Of course it had to be right after I was elected president and the day after I detailed it. The damage is substantial IMO. There are light scuffs that are barely visible as well as a dented fender and bumper. The fender also, to my discovery, has a stud or screw barely poking through from the force of the hit. So not only will I need it straightened, I will need it resprayed. I think I can thank Zaino and it`s ultra protective properties as well as being very slick to only a couple scuffs that are easily buff-able. Bad news though, no paint transfer, which the cop said will make it VERY hard to prove who did it. He also mentioned no insurance company adjuster is gonna give me a dime without a confession from the driver.

Anyways, I call campus security and Hamden PD. I file full reports with both and campus security takes pictures as well. To my luck, the shuttle bus driver pulls up and notifies me he saw who hit my car! He gives myself and both officers a full statement and that kind of reassured me.

Now I am currently working with security to find the perpatrator. It`s narrowed down to 3 cars (based on the vehicle description) and since it was Sunday, it limits the choices even further. I am hoping for the best and I let the officer`s know that when found I obviously want the damages fixed and I want the person who hit me prosecuted to the fullest extent. This situation really bothers me and a hit and run situation is no "fix-it" ticket. Call me a PITA but I think each and every one of us on Autopia would react similarly :)

Thanks for listening and any advice would be great. Here are some pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC03606.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC03608.jpg
Notice in the reflection of the post from the garage. You can see towards the bottom where that small screw is protruding.

Scott P
12-07-2004, 04:54 PM
That`s terrible. Congrats on the election though! :jump

Beemerboy
12-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Bumber big time but congrats on the election. I had some one back into my Murano and that messed up the bumber big time. That is why I hate these new plastic ones

CharlesW
12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Bummer! Big time bummer!

My defense would be that I was blinded by the shine from your car and didn`t even see it.:)

Congrats on the election, Mr. President. :bigups

Charles

travisdecpn
12-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Congrats on the election. IMO, people who commit hit and runs are the lowest scum of the earth. I hope they find who did it so you can have a few words with them.

mtodde
12-07-2004, 06:15 PM
I`m really sorry to hear about that. Of course they didn`t hit a clunker they hit a sweet ride that was just detailed. My guess is that they probably don`t have insurance and from looking at your car they could tell you care about it.

I`m sure you`ll have it fixed back up and looking good soon; I`d be so frustrated but you seem pretty cool about it. I like your joke about it being so slick.

Just out of curiosity how body shop safe is Zaino?

Good luck with the car and congrats on being elected president of your chapter. I was president of my Chi Phi chapter a long time ago.

MS22
12-07-2004, 11:42 PM
The only thing you can hope for is a confession, and that is not likely. Same thing happened to me this summer in OC while on vacation. Someone hit my rear quarter when backing out of the spot next to me. I knew it was a dark green Durango from the night before and when I found the car there was a scuff on his front at the side height as mine! I called security and the OCPD but they could do nothing unless he confessed. I left a note for him and called his room twice but the man ignored me, infact I found the note on the ground later that day. After two days of trying to reach him and watching his car moving throughout the garage I was upset. Finally, my firends and I deicded to take "an eye for an eye" the morning we were leaving and because of his ignorance his damages exceded five times what mine were. Looking back it was kind of stupid ruining his car but it felt really good at the time. Keep in mind this was not only a fresh detail but I purchased the car 3 days prior to leaving for OC. In summary: the cops will be of no help so find the guy, or his car in leiu, and make ammends. I know this is a place where we try to restore and preserve the beauty of cars but sometimes the opposite needs to be done. And if you cant tell I am still somewhat sore over the whole mater, about $300 worth.

G35stilez
12-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Hey,

I found the b!tc# :) Yup, my friend shot me a call last night and notified me he found a vehicle on campus that met the description with the damage consistent with mine. I had another friend check it out to verify and he concurred. I showed up on campus and contacted the PD and campus security immediately. Everyone agreed it had to be the car.

I get a call this morning from the cop telling me he has the girl in the location. He wanted me to come up for questioning. I came up and parked damage to damage so he could inspect. She admitted to being in the exact lot I was in parked near me and all at the same times I was there, but she still denied the fact of hitting me. She said she backed up into a dumpster a while ago. The officer simply told her "Miss, the damage is consistent and it is fresh" All in all, ABSOLUTELY everything matches with the witnesses statement and her words other than she still won`t admit it. She was very stuttery with her words and it definately seemed like she was lying.

It`s obviously not over yet, but the good thing is that we have the same insurance company. Hopefully that will help...I have to wait until Friday for the full police report to be completed and then the action will begin. I am expecting a call later today from the responding officer on Sunday.

This girl is goin down!

FWIW: Her car is SHOTTT. It`s black but swirled to all hell. Her rear bumper is terribly oxidized. She has damage in the front as well as the back and she was parked over the line in the lot. It`s obvious she has little care for driving.

Limited-Liberty
12-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Great!!!!!!! You found her. Good luck and hope everything goes in your favor. You know how insurence companys are.

Mark

mynci
12-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Oooh, definitely keep us posted on what happens. It`s one thing to not care about your own property but I can`t stand it when people have absolutely no regard for other people`s property. Let justice be served!

On a side note, even with the damage, the finish still looks great! :cool And congratulations Mr. President! :bigups