PDA

View Full Version : Products review: KIT carnauba gold quick detailer / turtle wax plat UG vinyl protect

AlexRuiz
04-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Well, as you have already noticed I am like a kid trying new products, and I in fact believe that you can get very good stuff at your local stores. turtle ultra wax, eagle one 20/20, NXT are just examples of 3 excellent products you can get at k-mart or similars. My curiosity always make me try new products, but unfortunately I don`t have the time or the budget to try every single item available, so I have to pick what I try and what not.

KIT carnauba gold quick detailer

I found this one at Aco hardware. I noticed that in general KIT products are the lowest priced available at the stores, which is often associated with poor quality. However, after reading Scottwax`s coments about the car wash with carnauba I tried it and found it quite good. I also got scrat-out as gift from my in-laws, and found it very decent. I have not tried their waxes, and probably never will as I still have a big queue of products that I have not tried yet and I have to (I`ve had GLARE for 2 months, and not yet used it properly) However, this quick detailer caught my eye as is in KIT`s "premium" line. Being on sale made it the deal clincher.

Bottle: golden color, uninspiring. Sprayer doesn`t mist a lot, so you tend to apply it in blobs.

Color: whitish, thick for a quick detailer

Smell: Neutral, more like candle wax :(

Application: Streaks if too much applied. Harder to sperad. Nothing special

Lubricity: almost none.

Cleaning: A quick detailer should be able to take water streaks, fingerprints and even light dust. This one had a hard time doing that.

Looks: Mediocre.

Overall veredict: Mediocre, tending to bad.

If you are looking for a quick detailer in k-Mart, mothers showtime or the superb turtle ultra are quite superior to KIT`s...... Granted, any quick detailer improves appearance, but KIT`s is among the lowest performing. Specially evident when doing it side by side with a better product.

Turtle Wax Platinum Ultra Gloss Interior protectant

I was very skeptical of this one, as the picture in the bottle shows a very shiny cockpit. Wel, I thought, in the worst case it ca be used to dress wheel wells. On the other hand, my 2 other platinum series products (quick detyailer and wax) have been superb, so that is what made me jump.

Bottle: Green, nothing special. Good sprayer action, and adjustable nozzle to go from spray to stream.

Color and consistency: Clear, runny.

Smell: I cannot define it, but more on the chemical side

Application: Very very easy. Being runny it applies easily with a microfiber. Foam application makes coverage also very easy.

Lubricity and cleaning: Decent, but I usually use APC before applying a dressing to the interior .

Looks: WOW!! While I thought it would be very shiny, once applied it dries to a very nice rich satin finish. Could I even say "deep"? Keep in mind that the way I apply it is toapply, then remove excess with a microfiber. Maybe would be shinier if left in the surface. I tried it and changed the appearance very little. Looks as good if not better than Lexol vinylex or armor all low shine.

Overall veredict: Very good. Save the smell, the product performs excellent. I don`t know how long it will last, but it surely looks nice. That "new" appearance to the I/P is back. :up So, this makes it 3 of 3 of what I have used in this product line.

Alex

Spilchy
04-13-2005, 01:10 PM
HaHa, you are a fan of the over the counter products to play with :p

Nice write ups :up

I think we can all do without Kit products. With all the others out there available locally, it`s a waste of money. Crappy stuff.

My new over the counter product to try is RainX Wash & Wax with carnauba beads. It`s thick as glue and cool to look at :D Plus it was like $3.50 at WalMart for 20 ounces.

imported_Larry A
04-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Alex, your right about T.W. Platinum products they are very good. They must have hired a chemist away from Mothers or Meguiars.

AlexRuiz
04-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Spilchy

HaHa, you are a fan of the over the counter products to play with :p

Nice write ups :up

I think we can all do without Kit products. With all the others out there available locally, it`s a waste of money. Crappy stuff.

My new over the counter product to try is RainX Wash & Wax with carnauba beads. It`s thick as glue and cool to look at :D Plus it was like $3.50 at WalMart for 20 ounces.

Yes, I like trying OTC products... gives me this sense of satisfaction that some products seen as the "ugly ducky" can make a car look as good as boutique stuff. The only thing that was missing at retail level was a good polish, and now with mother`s powerpolish that gap is covered. However, this doesn`t mean that I will try everything available. After my experience with a black magic tire shine I won`t try anything made by them unless someone HERE has a goood coment about it.

Edit: Similarly I have found that some boutique products that people rave about not to be very special

[very thick asbestos flamesuit on] S100 is one of them, I have a hard time differentiating its looks from collinite 845, both very shiny and reflective; save the smell my choice is clear as the IW looks almost the same, applies as easy and absolutely murders S100 in durability..... but maybe that is just my eyes. Another one is poorboys EX, that while a very good blend product, the turtle ultra platinum goes neck and neck with it, and the new mothers reflections clearly shows both who`s the boss in the blend category..... :nixweiss [flamesuit off]

Alex

AlexRuiz
04-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by lawrencea

Alex, your right about T.W. Platinum products they are very good. They must have hired a chemist away from Mothers or Meguiars.

I wouldn`t doubt it. I think that now in addition to mothers, turtle wax platinum is also severe underrated.

ktlimq
09-27-2005, 03:39 AM
Color and consistency: Clear, runny.

Isn`t the turtle protectant milky?

Meguairs NXT protectant is clear.

JustinR32
09-27-2005, 09:31 AM
AlexRuiz, I have similar conclusions, `cept I don`t like the Collinite either (but lots of folks do, don`t let me sway anyone).

I sent Kit an email through their website about 3 weeks ago, asking about their "Gold" line. They promised a reply within 48 hours, and I never got anything back.

Tom

ktlimq
09-27-2005, 11:09 AM
A UK wax test:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/55103/car_polishes_and_waxes.html

TurtleWax Platinum did well.

saturn2
09-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Nice to see Turtle wax do good for a change. :work:

pontman43
09-27-2005, 07:42 PM
I like some turtle wax stuff too, like the TW 2001 Urithane Enriched Polish. This is what it did w/PC and stock pad vvvvvv

Before

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/pontman43/FlawlessDetailing017.jpg

After

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/pontman43/IMAG0037.jpg

Big Leegr
09-30-2005, 04:30 AM
I like some turtle wax stuff too, like the TW 2001 Urithane Enriched Polish. This is what it did w/PC and stock pad vvvvvv

And did it last a year? :D