PDA

View Full Version : New truck with waterspots

arc
04-13-2005, 09:45 AM
I have a brand new Silverado pickup. It`s a dark metallic gray (about one shade less than black). Last weekend, I managed to badly waterspot the hood and top (through inattention and a hefty dose of being a moron :( ).

I found this site in my attenpts to see what needs to be done to fix it and have been reading through the posts and tutorials. Frankly, my head is spinning.

It seems that I need to use a polish to remove it. Most of the polishes that I have seen listed to correct waterspots seem pretty aggressive. I guess I am leery of going too aggressive, since it`s so new. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can use? I don`t have a pc (yet!), so something that works by hand would be nice. Also, a Meguiar`s product would be nice, if possibe, since that`s the only thing they seem to carry here (I live in the sticks and we only have a Wal-Mart, a NAPA and a Schucks).

Also, I went ahead and put a coat of NXT on it anyway since I was getting a spray in bedliner the following day and wanted some protection in case of overspray. Does this (the NXT) need to be stripped off when I go to fix this and, if so, how?

White95Max
04-13-2005, 11:25 AM
If you want to use local products like Meguiars stuff, you can always try Meg`s Cleaner Wax. It might be enough to remove the spots since they just happened recently. If not, you have a few choices:

Clay

paint cleaner like AIO or GEPC

polish

wipe vinegar on the spots (haven`t done it myself, but I hear it works)

And yes the NXT will need to be stripped first, but any of those products would strip the NXT as well. I`m not sure if vinegar removes wax.

arc
04-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks, White95Max.

I was going to try the vinegar. It was mentioned in waterspot article in the articles section. The author mentioned following it up with clay and polish, but I wasn`t sure of the level of aggressiveness of the polish needed.

Does the Meg Cleaner Wash have any cutting ability or is just a solvent? The reason I ask is, on the larger spot, you can feel them, kinda like a pit. I assume those edge need to be taken down a little?

If there is a better product for this, I can get it online, but I was hoping to get to it sooner.

Gonzo
04-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Look at my post here:

http://www.haloclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11884