PDA

View Full Version : first time using polish:my turtlewax polishing compound opinion.

SayNoToPistons
04-12-2005, 04:29 PM
well yesterday at the groceries i brought a jug of turtle wax polishing compound (2.99) just for fun. today i wanted to see if polishing is as good as you guys say it is, so i took out the jug of TW and tried it on some bumper and fender scratches on the Infiniti. well first i took my applicater pad and rubbed some on the bumper, massaged it and it it was hardly removing the scratches. so then i put a little more pressure on it and massaged a little more. well it was starting to remove it finally, very very slowly though. it took quite a long time for the deep scratches that went through the clearcoat but for the scratches that didnt go through the clearcoat it was quite easy though it took some hard rubbing. ill go back to the grocery store and try the TW RUBBING compound (im going to try it on some even deeper scratches since the polishing compound didnt really do a good job on those). i know that i shouldnt be using this so ill just try it on some scratches on the bumpers. when i get the PC ill try scratch x and maybe menzerna line of polishes. cant wait:bounce

btw: i didnt forget to put back a layer of protection. i used AIO which took some of the fine scratches that the TW made adn then topped with #26.

wannafbody
04-12-2005, 05:02 PM
the TW rubbing compound is supposed to be pretty aggressive- I`d suggest 3m scratch remover avaiable at Advance Auto $7

Bill D
04-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I would just go right ahead and get the Menzerna or whatever other pro quality polish/compound.

imported_Bence
04-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Don`t you think that it is a fairly big jump from TW to Menzerna, do you? There is no such thing what "you should not use". And if you can not use even OTC products properly yet, don`t expect the pro-products to do work for/instead of you...

Oh, and there is a nice button; somewhere near the top of your screen... yeah, the left one!

Use it a bit more to get a bigger picture!!!

- massaging hard - took a long time for bigger scratches that went through the clear - for the scratches that didn` go through, it was pretty easy - took some hard rubbing - grocery store - TW Rubbing Compound - even deeper scratches (went through the bumper???) - just on the bumpers - scratches by TWPC removed with AIO - then #26 (before the TWRC) - ScratchX with PC - and finally Menzerna... :grinno:

Just don`t take my reply too seriously, but be serious with your approach!

Bill D
04-12-2005, 05:13 PM
There`s no denying that learning and practicing proper machine polishing technique is essential for good results. TW isn`t really designed for machine use. Practicing with quality made-for-machine products is a good step in the right direction.

Eliot Ness
04-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Be very careful with the TW Rubbing Compound, it is often referred to as "sandpaper in a can". It can be very easy to go through your clear coat, especially on a bumper. If the deep scratches go through the clear coat the best you can do is touch-up paint.

ScratchX is made for use by hand, and here is a link you should read on using it, and also a link on touch-up paint:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1516

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27

SayNoToPistons
04-12-2005, 05:43 PM
yeah i know guys.. im just trying this stuff out to see if its really true that polishing can remove minor scratches.ofcourse im not going to use this on any part of the car other than trying it on some spots on the bumper that cannot be easily seen. yeah, when i get the PC ill try better stuff like menzerna and scratch x. no way this stuff is going to be used by the PC. about the rubbing compound, i just want to play around with it on the MPVs bumper/s thats already cracked and the painted is already ~ 1/2 peeled off (goign to go to a junkyard and find a good bumper and repaint it).

edit: getting good results out of a PC and non TW product is kind of hard eh? ill have a lot of time practicing with it on the MPV:)

Bill D
04-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Paint hardness also plays a role, especially when polishing by hand.

SayNoToPistons
04-12-2005, 06:40 PM
yeah. it seems that mazdas paint might be harder since it took a litle more time and effort to remove some of the scratches than the Infiniti paint.

SayNoToPistons
04-12-2005, 06:47 PM
I got a question i dont want to start a new thread and spam. so heres the question. when im working with menzerna or scratch x. do i need to apply pressure to the PC while polishing. if so about how much? just wanted to know ahead of time since im getting the PC soon.

sQuashed
09-01-2008, 10:12 PM
I got a question i dont want to start a new thread and spam. so heres the question. when im working with menzerna or scratch x. do i need to apply pressure to the PC while polishing. if so about how much? just wanted to know ahead of time since im getting the PC soon.

Totally depends on the situation but yes, pressure is needed in most cases. I bog my PC down all the time with lots of pressure.

miahman98
09-01-2008, 10:57 PM
With over 300 posts I would think you know by now that polishing is not a big fib and does remove scratches. But if you need to “see it to believe it†I understand.

Now with that said, use the stuff you have and the stuff you are going to get with and without the PC. You already have a bumper that is going to get replaced. So have some fun and while you do that you will learn the best way there is ( trial and error ) to use different products. :waxing: