PDA

View Full Version : Advice on detailing products

Pages : [1] 2

CletusTheDwarf
04-12-2005, 03:08 PM
I am very new to the detailing community, and i want to do it right. I`ve had my 2005 Subaru WRX (WR Blue) for about 3 months now, and I am going to do my first good cleaning soon. Here are some products I have picked out so far, and I would just like some input on my choices.

Meguiars Medalion Paint Cleaner

Clay Magic Perfect Finish Kit

P21S Bodywork Shampoo

Meguiars NXT Tech Wax

Anything i`m forgetting? Anything I should change? Also, considering the paint is very new, does that change what treaments I should give it? Is it too early for using clay on it? Thanks for helping out a noob.

AJLT1
04-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Clay is great to use from Day 1, mainly because there should be a nice amount of rail dust embedded in your paint. i would pick up some clay. my favorite is the wolfgang polyclay which can be bought through www.autogeek.net or wolfgangs website

hirosh
04-12-2005, 03:36 PM
it`s never too early to clay. although your car is new, it probably has junk accumulated on it`s surfaces during transporting and sitting on the dealer`s lot. try checking out this link (http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=31&c=root) about claying.

as long as the paint doesn`t have any swirls, you can use the products you`ve listed.

wash

clay

meg`s medallion paint cleaner

NXT

happy detailing. :wavey

CletusTheDwarf
04-12-2005, 03:41 PM
for future refrence, if i did have swirls eventually, what should i change in my product selection?

the other pc
04-12-2005, 03:43 PM
:welcome to Autopia!

The products you listed will certainly work very well.

I don`t think you necessarily need other chemicals but you may find some useful at times. For instance, I always keep a tube of ScratchX handy. You don`t need it unless you get a scuff, swirl or stain that`s a little more stubborn than the cleaner will remove easily.

Definitely get top quality tools, towels, mitts, buckets (two or more), etc.

PC

imported_Burlyq
04-12-2005, 03:45 PM
P21S Bodywork Shampoo-Anything p21s is good.

Meguiars Medalion Paint Cleaner- I`d switch to AIO

Clay Magic Perfect Finish Kit-Best clay IMO!!

Meguiars NXT Tech Wax=good sealant choice

Not only is CM a very good clay, but it also very economical. Their lube is also excellent, I buy it by the case. So the deal that Carcare has is simply smoking. Two bottles of clay lubricant and the best clay bar for 12 bucks, you can`t top that.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/awc-88256.html

CletusTheDwarf
04-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Burlyq

Not only is CM a very good clay, but it also very economical. Their lube is also excellent, I buy it by the case. So the deal that Carcare has is simply smoking. Two bottles of clay lubricant and the best clay bar for 12 bucks, you can`t top that.

AIO?

J.J.
04-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Klasse All In One (AIO)

See the "Secret Decoder Ring" located on the home page --> top left coner in the little box. You can find all the various acronyms commonly used here at Autopia

AJLT1
04-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by CletusTheDwarf

for future refrence, if i did have swirls eventually, what should i change in my product selection?

for swirls u cant go wrong with the poorboy`s Super Swirl remover line

CletusTheDwarf
04-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Burlyq

i`m confused, i thought klasse AIO was a wax? So i should wash it, wax it, clay it, and wax it?

MongooseGA
04-12-2005, 07:41 PM
No, don`t wax, then clay.

Wash.

Clay.

Polish or cleaner.

Sealant or wax (here is where you`d use AIO or NXT...)

Carnuba wax if you put a sealant down first.

CletusTheDwarf
04-12-2005, 07:44 PM
but burlyq said to use AIO instead of the meguiar paint cleaner.

so wash with p21s, then clay with clay magic perfect finish, then AIO then NXT? or is it just one or the other?

MongooseGA
04-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Is the Medallion Cleaner a polish or a cleaner? If it`s a polish (as in, actually removes swirls) then you`d use it before AIO. Using it after AIO (AIO leaves behind protection and a good base for any additional product layering) will remove the layer.

AIO alone won`t do much for swirls at all. It might be good as a follow up polish to remove some hazing, but its abrasives are very minor, IMO.

Wash.

Clay.

Polish (swirl remover).

AIO.

Sealant (maybe NXT, but be careful, it does have some mild cleaners).

Carnuba.

Black240SX
04-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner is a cleaner. It`ll remove oxidation and fine scratches, but the abrasives in it are too fine to remove swirl marks. It leaves no protection on the paint.

It`s an excellent product for maintaining a finish that is already in good shape.

CletusTheDwarf
04-12-2005, 08:08 PM
so how about sonus paintwork cleanser for the polish, then NXT. is AIO necessary inbetween? I feel like it`s redundant