PDA

View Full Version : Help......next step..? AIO/SG P21S....

lwing18
04-12-2005, 02:38 PM
I used aio/sg/p21s in the fall, after purchasing a new car.

Put on 3 coats of p21S. While the finish was good, it was not spectacular.

Meanwhile over the winter, I used sonus acrylic to keep the shine up.

Last weekend, I cleaned and added another coat of p21S, and made a world of difference. In fact, first time someone commented "do you have 10 coats on the car?".

4 coats is a lot to go through (on top of the aio/sg routine) to get a noticeable shine.

With aio/sg and now P21S, what is a good product to continue the shine with (I`m out of p21S), and that has a little cleaner in the wax.

Thanks in advance for comments.

Soarer V
04-12-2005, 02:53 PM
With aio/sg and now P21S, what is a good product to continue the shine with (I`m out of p21S), and that has a little cleaner in the wax.

4 coats is a lot to go through (on top of the aio/sg routine) to get a noticeable shine.

Did you have a full jar of P21S to start off with to get only 4 coats?

For your routine, most would stay away from a cleaner wax.

What color car do you have?

lwing18
04-12-2005, 03:10 PM
I used p21s on my other cars, as well. Towards the end it started getting flaky and hard to apply.

Car is a bronze gray (called mineral gray)

Soarer V
04-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Put on 3 coats of p21S. While the finish was good, it was not spectacular.

In most cases when a finish is not spectacular, there were still paint defects on the vehicle.

If you can find it Megs #16 is close to P21S, but it is not a cleaner wax.

Did you study the how to articles by DavidB?:xyxthumbs

Keeping the vehicle washed and cleaned is one of the best things you can do for your car.

Did you wash the vehicle during the winter, or just maintained it with Sonus?

lwing18
04-12-2005, 04:11 PM
DavidB article was my "bible". I don`t have the article in front of me, but I believe it was the SG or the p21s which required 24 hours before additional coats. And, I did wait the 24hours. Somewhere it suggested waiting longer would be better. I was thinking that might have been the problem.

I understand about not using the cleaner wax.....just once in a while I see a smudge while waxing that cleaners seem to dissolve.

I washed/ dried , qd, and then used sonus

Being a neophyte to doing this stuff right, what is it about the Aio/sg and wax routine that limits the type of wax for Lsp.

Thanks for your input.

Soarer V
04-12-2005, 08:43 PM
what is it about the Aio/sg and wax routine that limits the type of wax for Lsp.

LS products that have cleaners in them may remove what is underneath them and you may not be able to layer the product.

You may top AIO/SG with any noncleaner carnauba wax, you may even top SG with 4*`s UPP and leave it as that. It all depends on the type of look you are seeking.

Steve530
04-12-2005, 11:03 PM
When I read your post I wasn`t really sure what you did.

First, how many layers of SG did you put on after the AIO before you added the P21S? Most people recommend at least 3 coats of SG spaced at least 24 hours apart. That should leave the paint with a really glossy finish. You may want 4 layers. I personally stopped at 6 layers.

THEN you top it with P21S. One or two layers of P21S should give the paint the carnuba finish that some people prefer to the somewhat "plastic wrapped" look of SG.

You didn`t say which Sonus Acrlic product you used - Spritz or Glanz. The Spritz is a QD, the glanz is a sealant booster. Neither of these would work with a carnuba wax topper.

Once you put the carnuba wax on the paint, you cannot add more SG.

I put AIO+SGx3 on my car for the winter. One day it was warm enough to wash the car, so I added a fourth layer of SG and then a fifth layer the next day. A few weeks later I caught a nother warm day and washed and used the Sonus Acrylic Glanz (good stuff btw). Then a few weeks after that i managed to wash and add the sixth layer of SG. A couple of weeks ago, I washed again and decided to try some S100. Two coats with a good amount of buffing to bring up the shine. Now after I wash I use Pinnacle Crystal Mist, which has carnuba. The shine is great and the carnuba makes the metal flakes pop.

Check you procedure and remember to add several layers of SG before you use the P21S. Use the Sonus Acrylic Glanz as a booster until you top with carnuba. Afterward, use a wax booster that contains carnuba.

lwing18
04-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks.

I used 3 coats of SG, and I use the recommended method, with the 24 hour wait. I did not have much of gloss. No great shine until this 3rd p21S.

I did use glanz as booster.

Now with the shine there, I want to maintain and enhance.

From above posts, Meg#16 is suggested (but hard to get). Is Pinnacle Crystal mist and Meg #16 the same type of wax products? (I`m not sure what a wax booster is). And then, with the Carnauba I would not use the Acrylic Glanz, correct?

White95Max
04-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Crystal Mist is a QD product. Meg`s #16 is a paste wax, which is not available anymore as far as I know.

Get a carnauba-based QD, and use that after every couple washes. That will keep your shine.

Steve530
04-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by lwing18

Thanks.

I used 3 coats of SG, and I use the recommended method, with the 24 hour wait. I did not have much of gloss. No great shine until this 3rd p21S.

I did use glanz as booster.

Now with the shine there, I want to maintain and enhance.

From above posts, Meg#16 is suggested (but hard to get). Is Pinnacle Crystal mist and Meg #16 the same type of wax products? (I`m not sure what a wax booster is). And then, with the Carnauba I would not use the Acrylic Glanz, correct?

Sounds like you did it right with the exception of the Acrylic Glanz. It should be used over the SG directly.

Since you have P21S carnuba on now, get a carnuba-based booster like Crystal Mist.

My understanding is that the booster wax is used to add a shine after you wash the car, should only be applied to a clean car, and does not have the lubicants found in a Quick Detailer. Quick detailers can be used to remove light soiling on the finish without washing the car, although some people think that this might cause scratches.

I personally use QDs to remove stuff like bird droppings when I don`t have time to wash the whole car. I use boosters after I wash the car to keep the shine.

Glossmaster
04-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Try the Pinnacle Souveran wax over the Klasse Twins. Your car will look amazing!!!

mosuavea
04-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Since we are on this topic, what steps are needed after the first layer of SG if you have to drive the car or it is left outdoors between the 24 hour cure time? Can you simply wash with Meg Gold Class and apply another layer of SG?

lwing18
04-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Let me add one more variation....

Since I put carnauba on after aio/sg(x3); and since some people say more sg is even better, is there a way to "go back", to add SG

Odin Mz3
04-14-2005, 02:57 PM
No, better to start back with AIO. But 3 layer of SG is enough... for most people