PDA

View Full Version : layering carnauba questions

Pages : [1] 2

bigsled
04-12-2005, 08:29 AM
i had just finished doing my first detail. i used poorboys line with ex as the lsp. i thought you could layer different carnaubas at least a few times , everyone talks about all the different layers they do here but, yesterday on here somebody said they wanted to use s100 over nxt and somebody responded that s100 has solvents in it that would break up the nxt ? i am looking to experiment alittle, i wanted to try s100 or # 26 over my ex. i was going to try both, one on each side of the hood, i thought they were both pure carnaubas ( at least as pure as you can get ) s100 dosent have solvents in it does it ? i want a good carnauba to try over the ex that wont interfere with the ex, any suggestions would be appreciated !:up also, i have left over , meqs deep crystal , liquid carnauba, would that be the same as # 26 ?

grt1today
04-12-2005, 08:50 AM
I don`t see why you could`nt use the #26 or S100 over the EX. I think all paste waxes have some solvents in it. Even my souveran has mild solvents in it...

togwt
04-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Layering:

By applying another product on top of one that has already cross-linked you can increase its density (up to a point) the thin film of product that`s applied isn`t really another layer. Two to four cross-linked (cured) applications are usually considered optimum

One thing that will negate the applied product density is lack of clarity, the base coat (that contains the vehicleâ€â„¢s colour) is covered / protected by a clear coat of urethane paint, which as well as providing protection is clear to enable the paint colour to show through and provide the colour with depth.

Any product applied on top of the clear coat needs to be optically clear (transparent) otherwise both the paint colour and its depth of shine will be muted. One of the problems with â€Ëœlayeringâ€â„¢ some polymers and/or waxes is that they tend to occlude (become less opaque) as the thickness increases

Solvents provide a lubricant and aid the adherence process by working their way into the microscopic gaps and valleys of the previous `layer` softening it, providing each subsequent applications carrying agent (solvent, oils silicones or emulsion) are not so concentrated that they degrade or remove (as in the case of a cleaner wax) what has been previously applied.

The carrier system (solvents) allows the product to fill and level the paint film surface to produce a flat surface (this flat level surface is more pronounced with polymers due to their molecular alignment characteristics). This level surface optimizes the paint film surface`s desired optical properties (i.e. surface reflectance, clarity, gloss, and depth of shine)

Also be aware that the both the product and the foam pad may be non-abrasive, but application pressure if not kept to an absolute minimum and using use a very light and even pressure, may re-introduce surface marring and/or removal of the previously applied product.

You could also try this layering technique-Add a layer of liquid Carnauba wax to a paste Carnauba wax; allow it to cross-linking for 2-4 hours, to produce a deep â€Ëœwet-lookâ€â„¢ shine.

JonM

bigsled
04-12-2005, 10:12 AM
thanks for the info.. say john, what are the chances of micromarring ? it seems that everyone here layers, i would be very carefull of course, or is it so risky that i`m better off not trying it ? i was going to reapply lsp every month or two anyway.. at that time ( after a month or two, do i still risk micromarring since at least half of privious applied product should be gone anyway? does this apply to carnauba lsp`s only, or poly`s too ? how about when people use in between spray waxes, does that micromarr as well ?

bigsled
04-12-2005, 10:26 AM
also, what do you mean by mixing the liquid with the paste, do you mean putting on a layer of both right after each other, or do you mean , squirt some liquid into the wax tin and let sit 2- 4 hours ? :nixweiss

Accumulator
04-12-2005, 10:37 AM
bigsled- I reapply/layer my LSPs (both carnaubas asn synthetics) all the time, no micromarring (I`ll often go more than a year between polishings on my "good" cars). I do spot-clay if there`s a chance that the surface isn`t perfectly clean, but I don`t see any reason why you`d get micromarring if you use the right applicators/buffing towels.

bigsled
04-12-2005, 10:44 AM
accumulator, thanks for info.. i`m not sure why jon was talking about micromarring when adding extra layers:nixweiss i`m still wondering about his idea of liquid carnauba and paste. do i mix them in a container together or layer them on top of each othe:nixweiss

wannafbody
04-12-2005, 10:46 AM
some manufacturers claim their carnaubas can be layered on itself as well (collinite) but I`m not sure that with solvent content thats really possible-I wonder if what really occurs is one layer melting into the previous one

Accumulator
04-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Bigsled- OK, this is a guess (and I`m probably not too hot at reading TOGWT`s mind ;) ) but I`d say that beyond the possibility of abrasive contamination coming into play, there might be a concern about damaging the previously applied layers of LSP, causing micromarring in that LSP, but not the paint itself. More likely if the solvents/etc. in the subsequent applications react with/soften the previously applied stuff. So...

A) consider spit-shine type applications

B) be careful applying liquids (generally high in solvents) over pastes (generally lower in solvents)

I *think* TOGWT`s "apply liquid to paste" is an intentional variation on the latter point. That you`d apply the liquid, allowing it to "melt/mix" with the previously applied paste, and then buff off whatever doesn`t "stick".

I don`t imagine you`d want to actually mix the two products together in a container.

But again, I`m just playing mind reader here ;)

Glossmaster
04-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Layer the liquid wax over the paste wax. No need for mixing the in a bottle....

Glossmaster
04-12-2005, 11:05 AM
I, too, should clarify my previous post. The previous question was about layering the paste with liquid or mixing both together. While mixing both together is an interesting concept, ( one I`ve never done ) I believe what was meant was to layer the liquid wax over the paste. As for me, i prefer paste waxes. I`m not too fond of liquid carnaubas. The only liquids I use are polishes and synthetic waxes/sealants.

Accumulator
04-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by BlkTac05

As for me, i prefer paste waxes. I`m not too fond of liquid carnaubas. The only liquids I use are polishes and synthetic waxes/sealants.

Same here.

imported_Intermezzo
04-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Diminishing returns & layerability are important concerns when it comes to applying multiple layers of carnauba wax. But back when Meguiars Hand Polish + Blitz was my bread & butter product, I sure as heck enjoyed applying coat after coat of Blitz on our jet black BMW. I don`t know if I was adding to the shine or not, but applying a coat of a traditional, `hard` carnauba paste wax was sure enjoyable.

togwt
04-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Accumulator- let me know where my mind was when you read it as I lost it long agoâ€Â¦LOL

1.Apply a Carnauba paste wax, after a doing a smear test carefully (to avoid micro marring) apply a liquid wax allow to dry (30-60 minutes) and buff to a gloss.

2.Add a very thin layer of Carnauba wax as a final coat to the synthetic wax and let it dry for 0.5-1.0 hour, then without removing the base layer, increase the density of the wax by (carefully to avoid micro marring) by adding more wax, allow to dry to a haze and remove. After buffing with a soft 100% cotton cloth it will produce a deep `wet-look` finish.

The consensus of opinion is that three layers will give the maximum possible shine, IMO anything after that suffers from the product clouding, defeating the purpose of layering.

JonM

Accumulator
04-13-2005, 09:48 AM
TOGWT- Heh heh, LOL indeed Re reading your lost mind :D

The layering-without-removal method sounds familiar, is it something I might`ve read in one of Griot`s handbooks?