PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between PC7424 and 7336?

mystickid
04-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Whats the difference between the PC 7424 and PC 7336?

Is one better than the other?

I am buying a PC but I don`t know what to get the 7424 or 7336.

Somedevil
04-11-2005, 06:59 PM
I`ve been doing some research into buying a PC and from what I`ve read so far, they`re virtually the same machine, just marketed differently.....7424 marketed as a polisher, 7336 as a sander.

I think the 7336 comes with the preferred (by autopians it seems) 6" counterweight, while the 7424 generally often comes with the 5" counterweight.

Same body for both, and from what I`ve read, the same specs as well.

Eliot Ness
04-11-2005, 07:02 PM
About the only difference is the counterweight. The 7424 has a 5" weight and the 7336 has a 6` weight. Buy the one you can get at the lowest price. I`ve never had a problem using a 5" counterweight, but some like the 6" weight. The weights are only a couple of $$ if you want to swap them out:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/skinny.htm?L+coastest+hknk0501ff92cc92+1094447778

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3330

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=37933

GaryRz
04-11-2005, 07:02 PM
From Amazon Tool website:

Product Description

With the Porter-Cable 7336SP polisher, fears of polishing are a thing of the past. Unlike circular buffers and lesser-quality random-orbital polishers, the 7336SP is easy to use and safe on your paint- even for the amateur. This is a dual-action polisher: it oscillates in a random, orbital fashion, preventing excessive heat buildup. This polisher will not burn your paint. The 3.7 amp motor includes a variable speed mechanism which allows you to control the speed between 2,500 OPM and 6,000 OPM. An important component of this tool, which separates Porter-Cable from most of its competition, is the removable counterweight. The counterweight is located in the rotating shaft and maintains balance while you polish. Unlike the Porter-Cable 7424 polisher, the 7336SP comes with a specially-balanced counterweight which is required as you switch to denser/larger non-OEM pads. The flexibility of the 7336SP allows for a variety of pads up to 6 ½ inches. It comes with a white polishing pad that works well at minor oxidation, swirls and light scratches. While excellent at polishing, this pad is also soft enough to be used for finishing and glazing. This tool is so easy and safe you will regret not having added it to your detailing supply box sooner. Finally, a polisher you dont have to fear! Please note: This unit does not include a hook and loop backing plate.

JasonD
04-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by mystickid

Whats the difference between the PC 7424 and PC 7336?

$50

imported_kuba
04-25-2005, 05:28 PM
awesome post, had to bump it back for anyone else in wanting the know :xyxthumbs

Tundra_Jim
04-25-2005, 05:57 PM
I just bought a 7336 today at lowes. It was right at 106 bucks AFTER tax. It came with a side handle that will screw into either side, a sanding backing plate and a 6" foam polishing wheel.

also had a wrench and a washer for something, I haven`t read the directions yet.

JasonD
04-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Congrats on the purchase, Jim. Put all the accessories back in the box and store it in the attic. The side handle just makes vibrations worse, and gets in the way. It also makes it easy to slip and scratch your car. The stock backing plate and foam pad are junk too, don`t use them.

Buy yourself a good backing plate and set of foam pads and you`ll be ready to go.

One other thing, signatures have a maximum limit of 3 lines, including spaces. Please take a moment to adjust yours accordingly. Thank you! :xyxthumbs