PDA

View Full Version : Advertising cost...

soysaucial
04-11-2005, 03:53 PM
where do you guys advertise? And how effective is it?

What are the cost for...

- Yellow pages ad (name and # only)

- Local newspaper

- etc.

ZaneO
04-11-2005, 06:27 PM
I think those will all vary by area.

Flyers are one of the most cost effective ways to advertise.

Some additional sources you might not have considered are local forums, car clubs, radio, etc.

My most effective sources have been word-of-mouth and local forums, but I have not used the newspaper or the yellow pages (but I`m only part-time).

imported_Shaun Carollo
04-11-2005, 08:55 PM
The thing that has been bringing me the most of business lately, is networking with people I know, and people who know the people I know. It`s like exponential advertising because when one person tells one person, that person can might tell another, and so on. This is also why you need to provide the best service in town, so when you do an excellent job, that person can tell another person, etc.

Realtor Offices have brought me a good amount of business as well. I was told that I am the only detailer in town that advertsed there though.

To me, flyers suck. I got 500 printed up and they have been sitting on my stairs for two weeks! I don`t want to go pass them out, but I keep about 50 on me to fold up and place under windsheild wipers on "special cars." Same with business cards between the glass and weatherstripping above the handle on the drivers side, front door.

Contact the Manager/Owner of local carwashes and see if you can maybe do his car and they might pass out your cards/flyers to their customers. They might even let you perform the services on site (under an ez up or something)

Hope this helps,

-Shaun

DaGonz
04-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Word of mouth doesn`t cost a cent!

Super
04-12-2005, 09:37 AM
A nice sign on your car when park in a upscale high traffic area

Word of mouth but you need more then that

Yellow pages is good but not good enough, pricy but good, they need your phone # when they look up in "DETAILING" in yellow pages

If you build it they will come

A cat & mouse, reach out and withdraw, like "This service is not for you", you can screw it up if not done right.

People are not stupid

Look professional, dress professional in good work uniforms, do you home work on what you have to offer, avoid words like da, I don`t know. You have to be in control so does the customer. Have good communication skills, like confronting, listening.

Run down cars are not worth doing "blue book value"? Reach out to higher end cars, that might take time in your experience in knowledge in Detailing. Knowing things like back of your hand in detailing is a most, that`s why more cars you detail the better. Ops I`m blabbing sorry LOL

jimmybuffit
04-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Yellow pages are the only `paid` advertising that I do. Seems to bring alot of price shoppers... not sure of the results in actual dollars.

We do not discount. We do not offer coupons or `specials`.

Referrals bring the `best` clients.

They don`t have cost concerns, and they are in search of the quality work that we produce. Our credibility is established even before they call or visit.

Altho it takes time and effort, it is a worthwhile goal. We`ve taken the time to establish good relationships with select local (independant) mechanics, body shops, and insurance claim centers. It is simple, if you trust your mechanic, then you`ll trust his recommendation...

Sure beats sticking flyers on windshields...

soysaucial
04-13-2005, 01:50 PM
how much is to place a word only ad in your area?

autogym
04-23-2005, 06:51 PM
chamber of commerce, business networking, and word of mouth

AutoNova
04-23-2005, 07:36 PM
I do the Yellow Pages, very successful and I belong to BNI (Business Network International) a local chapter that is very useful for getting referrals. I do a ton of flyering but only pays off at a rate of around 2 customers per 100 flyers, not very effective. Put your business card on cars in parking lots and write something on them like "nice Ride". I approach people with nice cars and give them a card everywhere I can. I go on line and buy lsits of new move ins in my area and mail information. I will roll about 300 flyers and do early morning driveway tosses with my wife about once a month.

It is tough on a small budget no matter how you look at it. If you are highly skilled in a large city it will take a year. If you are moderately skilled it could take 1.5-2 years to become full-time.

When flyering collect business cards and make up an e-mail list and send out info.