PDA

View Full Version : What`s best practice for polishing/protecting wood inserts in luxury cabin?

Pages : [1] 2

SilverLexus
04-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Just wanted to see what process and products people here are using for interior wood trim....

Is there a preferred polish and wax? technique?

Any suggestions for removing light scratches gently?

Thanks! :)

MongooseGA
04-11-2005, 02:47 PM
I`d like to know this too. The finish on the wood in the SC isn`t gone, but it`s a little lighter than it should be, me thinks.

SilverLexus
04-11-2005, 03:32 PM
GA, I seem to recall someone using the Menzerna line but I could not find the post...

paco
04-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Plexus works well.

You can also apply a sealant. Basically, you can treat like any other painted surface but with the understanding, it`s meant to be polished heavily.

Paco

MongooseGA
04-11-2005, 03:50 PM
I dunno if maybe Lexus has changed the wood they use in their cars since mine was made (1995) but I`m positive it`s not plastic, and I don`t think it`s finished. Maybe some teak oil for boats? I have no idea what kind of wood is in the cabin.

paco
04-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Unless it`s a Rolls or something, I`m pretty sure that all veneer`s are clear coated these days. I can`t think of any car that would still have oiling as a requirement as the number of customer complaints about wood drying out would be a significant problem.

Scottwax and other do a lot of high end vehicles, perhaps they can chime in and say what type of finishes are on the dash/console inlays.

Paco

Scottwax
04-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Paco is right, wood in cars is coated.

Generally, I try to stick with 1 damp and 1 dry MF towel to clean the wood. You really have to be careful with 97-01 Mercedes because there is a transmission control module under the console and if it gets wet, kiss it and $1000 good-bye...not to mention a tow to the dealer since the car won`t go.

I`ve had good results with VM and AIO and foam pads to polish out very light defects.

Accumulator
04-11-2005, 05:00 PM
What Scottwax said :xyxthumbs A mild all-in-one type product to clean, a very mild polish with protection (e.g., 1Z WPS) if it has more severe defects, then some LSP if I feel like it. If it`s already perfect looking I might just do a quick coat of a LSP (only). The Jag`s wood has held up to this just fine and it`ll be twenty years old this summer. The same regimen seems to work fine on our other vehicles as well.

TW85 HHI
04-11-2005, 05:16 PM
How about simulated wood? I think mine has clear and it has many light scratches (swirl like) for whatever reason(s). AIO + foam pad should do the trick? I tried PlastX without luck...too agressive?

Accumulator
04-11-2005, 05:38 PM
I`m not sure about this one, never got around to working on the simulated stuff in the Caprice. I dunno if the AIO will have enough cut.

I`d try Plexus and/or Griot`s Plastic Polish, both of which I have on the shelf but haven`t used yet. The Caprice is out of town so I can`t even experiment with them.

stilez
04-11-2005, 07:02 PM
I use Menzerna FPII and follow up with a sealant of choice. Optimum Car Wax comes to mind for its ease of use.

Scottwax
04-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

Optimum Car Wax comes to mind for its ease of use.

True but I`d apply it to the towel when working around switchgear.

stilez
04-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Good point Scott.

DantePasquale
04-12-2005, 08:19 AM
I have tried AIO+SG, multiple coats of SG (10+) and Plexus.

All have given a very nice shine. Once got out a very visible scratch with Scratch X, rubbing lightly and perpendicular to the scratch.

BUT, I still have some spider webs and scratches that Plexus and AIO have not touched.

SilverLexus
04-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the advice. I may lightly try AIO on a spot or two to test.